C/D's Eclipse Review

Started by TBR, June 07, 2005, 02:38:11 PM

ifcar

QuoteYou are sort of right and I am sort of right. An Accord EX-V6 6MT is a notch over $28k(accidentally closed the window before I got the exact number)  while a Solara SLE V6 is $26,840 compared to $27,239 for a loaded Eclipse.
The only Accord coupe over $28K is with the nav, and the Accord (and Solara) are both likely to be going farther under sticker than the just-released Eclipse.

It doesn't take any longer to get the TMV than sticker, why do you keep using the useless figure?

SJ_GTI

I don't think its a bad car. I would certainly like to drive one. I agree its not going to steal many Mustang intenders but that doesn't mean its a bad car.

If the reviewers on right, I could see myself choosing it over an Accord or Solara. As for it not having stand out performance...I think the whole points of cars like Coupe is not performance they are about style, which this car has in abundance.

A 330ci doesn't outperform (or really do anything different than) a 330i...but BMW sells plenty of them.

TBR

QuoteYou are sort of right and I am sort of right. An Accord EX-V6 6MT is a notch over $28k(accidentally closed the window before I got the exact number)  while a Solara SLE V6 is $26,840 compared to $27,239 for a loaded Eclipse.
The only Accord coupe over $28K is with the nav, and the Accord (and Solara) are both likely to be going farther under sticker than the just-released Eclipse.

It doesn't take any longer to get the TMV than sticker, why do you keep using the useless figure?
Useless? Hardly, cardirect tells you whether or not a car is overpriced, but only in conjunction with msrp. Think about this stuff before you type, what people pay doesn't determine whether or not a car is overpriced, it is the difference between that and the msrp. MSRP is a better way of comparing cars because brand image and other emotional factors aren't included. Also, you are wrong, you  can get an Accord over 28k without nav, I believe I selected an alarm system and CD changer as dealer installed accessories since they are factory installed options on the other two.

Edit- let me put this a better way, msrp determines if a car is overpriced while tmv determines if a car is overvalued.  

ifcar

QuoteYou are sort of right and I am sort of right. An Accord EX-V6 6MT is a notch over $28k(accidentally closed the window before I got the exact number)  while a Solara SLE V6 is $26,840 compared to $27,239 for a loaded Eclipse.

Useless? Hardly, cardirect tells you whether or not a car is overpriced, but only in conjunction with msrp. Think about this stuff before you type, what people pay doesn't determine whether or not a car is overpriced, it is the difference between that and the msrp. MSRP is a better way of comparing cars because brand image and other emotional factors aren't included. Also, you are wrong, you  can get an Accord over 28k without nav, I believe I selected an alarm system and CD changer as dealer installed accessories since they are factory installed options on the other two.

Edit- let me put this a better way, msrp determines if a car is overpriced while tmv determines if a car is overvalued.
I use "price" to determine what it is actually likely to sell for. Very few cars are likely to sell for MSRP, especially on rebated models.

And I wasn't counting dealer-installed accessories, but with those I suppose the Accord can push past the mark.

TBR

I use "price" to determine what it is actually likely to sell for. Very few cars are likely to sell for MSRP, especially on rebated models.

And I wasn't counting dealer-installed accessories, but with those I suppose the Accord can push past the mark.
Yes, they can, as my numbers prove. And, the Eclipse isn't overpriced if people are willing to pay msrp, but it might be overvalued when compared to its competitors.  

ifcar

Yes, they can, as my numbers prove. And, the Eclipse isn't overpriced if people are willing to pay msrp, but it might be overvalued when compared to its competitors.
Use whatever terms you like to convey the point that the Eclipse costs more than its competitors.  

TBR

Use whatever terms you like to convey the point that the Eclipse costs more than its competitors.
It isn't overvalued by any stretch of the imagination, it is smack dab between its main competitors despite having more features than both.

ifcar

Only using sticker pricing.

TBR

QuoteOnly using sticker pricing.
If you want to look up the cardirect prices you can, but I have a hard time believing the Eclipse is selling that close to msrp, it is a Mitsubishi after all.  

ifcar

If you want to look up the cardirect prices you can, but I have a hard time believing the Eclipse is selling that close to msrp, it is a Mitsubishi after all.
An all-new sporty vehicle that came out within the last month is typically going to be at or above sticker. By the TMV, the Eclipse is selling at $200 under sticker, the Accord is selling at $2,000 under sticker, and the Solara is selling at $1,700 under sticker.

TBR

An all-new sporty vehicle that came out within the last month is typically going to be at or above sticker. By the TMV, the Eclipse is selling at $200 under sticker, the Accord is selling at $2,000 under sticker, and the Solara is selling at $1,700 under sticker.
Okay, so for now the Eclipse is a bad value (but it isn't overpriced), however, that should be considered a demerit since that is the case with almost all new models and will change in a couple of months

ifcar

In a few months, that may change. In fact, it almost certainly will. But right now, all evidence points to the Eclipse being a poor value even compared to the Accord and Solara.

TBR

QuoteIn a few months, that may change. In fact, it almost certainly will. But right now, all evidence points to the Eclipse being a poor value even compared to the Accord and Solara.
I'll agree with you on that one (though it is still worth $1000 more than the Accord imho just because it is vanilla on wheels), though it is still priced pretty well. Along with the typical first year problems, one of the biggest reasons not to buy a first year car is price inflation, but that should go down in a couple months, it is a Mistubishi afterall.  

MX793

QuoteI'd choose a Mustang, 350Z, RX8, and/or MR-2 Spyder over this.? Hell, I'd take a 1987 944 Turbo over this.? And save 15 thousand dollars.
So would I, I am just saying it is an exciting alternative to the Solara and Accord Coupe.
To a Solara, yes, but hell, the Accord at least looks better.  The Eclipse is so ugly a drunk mother couldn't love it.
I personally think it looks pretty good and so do quite a few people, I guess it is one of those love it or hate it designs.
Like a number of newer cars, this one looks better in person than in pictures.  I was checking one out at the local dealer over the weekend.  Here's my one complaint, stylistically.  they made the side profile resemble the 2nd generation cars (as evident by the C pillar), which is fine since most will argue that the 2g cars were the best looking.  However, the profile looks like they took the 2g and added about 6 inches between the back edge of the door and the rear wheels.  It throws the proportions off.  Kind of the same aesthetic effect you get when you take a street bike and stretch the rear swingarm (common mod for guys who mod sportbikes for drag racing).  I think if they had found a way to cut those 5-6 inches out of the car, it would have been better proportioned and really looked good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuoteI'd choose a Mustang, 350Z, RX8, and/or MR-2 Spyder over this.  Hell, I'd take a 1987 944 Turbo over this.  And save 15 thousand dollars.
So would I, I am just saying it is an exciting alternative to the Solara and Accord Coupe.
To a Solara, yes, but hell, the Accord at least looks better.  The Eclipse is so ugly a drunk mother couldn't love it.
I personally think it looks pretty good and so do quite a few people, I guess it is one of those love it or hate it designs.
Like a number of newer cars, this one looks better in person than in pictures.  I was checking one out at the local dealer over the weekend.  Here's my one complaint, stylistically.  they made the side profile resemble the 2nd generation cars (as evident by the C pillar), which is fine since most will argue that the 2g cars were the best looking.  However, the profile looks like they took the 2g and added about 6 inches between the back edge of the door and the rear wheels.  It throws the proportions off.  Kind of the same aesthetic effect you get when you take a street bike and stretch the rear swingarm (common mod for guys who mod sportbikes for drag racing).  I think if they had found a way to cut those 5-6 inches out of the car, it would have been better proportioned and really looked good.
I don't think so...it's like seeing pictures of a hideous monster, and then actually seeing the hideous monster.  You kind of just want to hide.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteI'd choose a Mustang, 350Z, RX8, and/or MR-2 Spyder over this.  Hell, I'd take a 1987 944 Turbo over this.  And save 15 thousand dollars.
Yeah, the  back does look a little stretched out. Also, the mirrors are a little awkward.  

SJ_GTI

Okay, so for now the Eclipse is a bad value (but it isn't overpriced), however, that should be considered a demerit since that is the case with almost all new models and will change in a couple of months
Hey Ifcar.

Say ther are too cars that do everything exactly the same. Same speed, same handling, same everything.

But one car looks better than the other to you.

Would you pay an extra $1,000 for the better looking car?

Its not a rhetorical question BTW, I am genuinely curious. I just don't see $1-2,000 being that important if I like one car better than another.

TBR

Hey Ifcar.

Say ther are too cars that do everything exactly the same. Same speed, same handling, same everything.

Its not a rhetorical question BTW, I am genuinely curious. I just don't see $1-2,000 being that important if I like one car better than another.
Exactly.  

Raza

Hey Ifcar.

It only comes down to a few dollars a month, whether you lease or finance.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Hey Ifcar.

Same everything but the look? I'm not paying thousands of dollars extra for something that looks nicer in my driveway. A few hundred? Maybe, but still unlikely.

Raza

QuoteIn a few months, that may change. In fact, it almost certainly will. But right now, all evidence points to the Eclipse being a poor value even compared to the Accord and Solara.
I'll agree with you on that one (though it is still worth $1000 more than the Accord imho just because it is vanilla on wheels), though it is still priced pretty well. Along with the typical first year problems, one of the biggest reasons not to buy a first year car is price inflation, but that should go down in a couple months, it is a Mistubishi afterall.
Even though I agree with the Accord being a soulless appliance, I don't see how ugly gives a car a soul.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Even though I agree with the Accord being a soulless appliance, I don't see how ugly gives a car a soul.
Ever heard of opinion? In my opinion the Eclipse looks good, but there is more to it than that, the Eclipse is also supposed to be pretty fun to drive for a FWD car.

850CSi

Anyone who buys an Eclipse over a 'Stang needs a check-up.

It's one of the ugliest abominations ever designed. The interior isn't special. And it's overpriced.

BMWDave

Ever heard of opinion? In my opinion the Eclipse looks good, but there is more to it than that, the Eclipse is also supposed to be pretty fun to drive for a FWD car.
I fully understand that you may like the Eclipse, but would you pick it over a Mustang?  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...