C/D's B9 Tribeca Review

Started by TBR, June 07, 2005, 02:45:11 PM

TBR

Highs: Controversial looks, easy handling, flexible format.

Lows: Controversial looks, marginal power

The Verdict: A real SUV at last, with real character

Choice Quote: "You can say good styling polarizes, but unfortunately, the B9's nose ruins what is basically a handsome vehicle"

Acceleration:
0-60: 8.9
0-100: 26.8
1/4 mile: 17.1 @ 83

Braking:
70-0: 192

Handling:
Roadholding: .78g

Price as tested: $38,320 (fully loaded)
Base Price: $32,920 (7-seat Limited)

So, what do you guys think?

I personally think it a great vehicle, class leading probably. The interior is great; the exterior is pretty good, except for the nose which is only so/so (though, as I have said numerous times, it does look much better in dark colors); the engine is buttery smooth (though it could use more power, could a turbo be in its future?  :lol:); it is priced pretty well; and it has fairly flexible interior.  

mazda6er

Same old story: great car, ugly front end.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Class leading? I doubt it. It's not very quick, it's not very roomy, and it's certainly not well-priced.

TBR

QuoteClass leading? I doubt it. It's not very quick, it's not very roomy, and it's certainly not well-priced.
What is cheaper? The Pilot but you can't both nav and rear seat entertainment system with it. And, once again I stress that these are sports cars, 8.9 seconds is plenty and the B9's other strong suits more than make up for that small fault.  And, from the looks of it it appear to be plenty roomy.

ifcar

QuoteClass leading? I doubt it. It's not very quick, it's not very roomy, and it's certainly not well-priced.
What is cheaper? The Pilot but you can't both nav and rear seat entertainment system with it. And, once again I stress that these are sports cars, 8.9 seconds is plenty and the B9's other strong suits more than make up for that small fault.  And, from the looks of it it appear to be plenty roomy.
It's no sports car, but being one of the slowest vehicles in its class without a significant MPG advantage is quite a downside. And I'm sure the interior will be roomy enough for the first two rows of seats, but I doubt the third row will be as accommodating as the Freestyle's (the only one that I consider actually comfortable among SUVs) or even the Pacifica's, TrailBlazer EXT's, Pilot's, or Explorer's (the only ones that I consider better than useless).

What advantages do you see in it enough to make up for its power deficiency, lack of a space advantage, and high price (yes, essentially every car-based SUV with a mainstream badge is less expensive)?

TBR

It's no sports car, but being one of the slowest vehicles in its class without a significant MPG advantage is quite a downside. And I'm sure the interior will be roomy enough for the first two rows of seats, but I doubt the third row will be as accommodating as the Freestyle's (the only one that I consider actually comfortable among SUVs) or even the Pacifica's, TrailBlazer EXT's, Pilot's, or Explorer's (the only ones that I consider better than useless).

What advantages do you see in it enough to make up for its power deficiency, lack of a space advantage, and high price (yes, essentially every car-based SUV with a mainstream badge is less expensive)?
The Freestyle is wagon, it doesn't count. The Pacifica, Highlander, and Murano are more expensive and the Pilot is cheaper (not sure by how much). Those are the only car based suvs I can think of at the moment and only one is actually cheaper. And, it certainly doesn't have a power deficency as it is as fast as all but the Murano and maybe the Pilot. It has a great chassis and good handling, those are its advantages.  

mazda6er

The Freestyle is wagon, it doesn't count. The Pacifica, Highlander, and Murano are more expensive and the Pilot is cheaper (not sure by how much). Those are the only car based suvs I can think of at the moment and only one is actually cheaper. And, it certainly doesn't have a power deficency as it is as fast as all but the Murano and maybe the Pilot. It has a great chassis and good handling, those are its advantages.
Wow, in one thread you argue that the Pacifica is cheaper than comparable cars, and in this thread, you argue that it is more expensive than comparable cars.  :D As ifcar will no doubt agree, the Murano, Pacifica, Highlander and Freestyle are NOT more expensive than the Tribeca.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

Wow, in one thread you argue that the Pacifica is cheaper than comparable cars, and in this thread, you argue that it is more expensive than comparable cars.  :D As ifcar will no doubt agree, the Murano, Pacifica, Highlander and Freestyle are NOT more expensive than the Tribeca.
You are going to make me look up the numbers aren't you? NP, I will have them up in just a sec.  

mazda6er

You are going to make me look up the numbers aren't you? NP, I will have them up in just a sec.
I'll do it for you:

base prices

Murano - $27,000-$31,050
Pacifica - $24,315-$36,445
Highlander - $24,080-$36,500
--Mark

TBR

All are AWD models and are as comparably equipped as I could get them (pretty much fully loaded except nav):

B9 Tribeca- $36,320
Highlander- $37,968
Murano- $38,780
Pilot- $35231
Pacifica- $39,800
Freestyle- $34,645

So, as I originally stated, only the Freestyle and Pilot are cheaper (and, keep in mind the Pilot isn't available with a sunroof, if it was the price difference would be purely nominal).

Edit- Well, this was my 1000th post, I didn't even realize it until I saw 1001 under my name

TBR

I'll do it for you:

base prices

Murano - $27,000-$31,050
Pacifica - $24,315-$36,445
Highlander - $24,080-$36,500
Base prices don't work buddy, the B9 comes standard with AWD and doesn't have options, only trim levels.  

ifcar

QuoteAll are AWD models and are as comparably equipped as I could get them (pretty much fully loaded except nav):

B9 Tribeca- $36,320
Highlander- $37,968
Murano- $38,780
Pilot- $35231
Pacifica- $39,800
Freestyle- $34,645

So, as I originally stated, only the Freestyle and Pilot are cheaper (and, keep in mind the Pilot isn't available with a sunroof, if it was the price difference would be purely nominal).

Edit- Well, this was my 1000th post, I didn't even realize it until I saw 1001 under my name
Sticker prices don't work buddy, the Pacifica's running a $2K rebate. And why do you insist on comparing fully-loaded versions, rather than the ones more likely to be popular?

The following cars are equipped with side/curtain airbags, AWD, a third row seat, and leather seats, and the Freestyle is included because it's as much of an SUV as the Pacifica is. And these are TMVs, with the sticker price in parentheses:

Ford Freestyle SEL: $27,460 ($30,405)
Chrysler Pacifica Touring: $28,369 ($32,290)
Buick Rendezvous CXL: $29,401 ($35,385)
Honda Pilot EX-L: $30,502 ($32,835)
Toyota Highlander Limited: $31,656 ($34,195)
Subaru B9 Tribeca: $34,129 ($34,520)

Do it with your options selections as well if you must, but use TMV (or CarsDirect) rather than MSRP.

TBR

QuoteAll are AWD models and are as comparably equipped as I could get them (pretty much fully loaded except nav):

B9 Tribeca- $36,320
Highlander- $37,968
Murano- $38,780
Pilot- $35231
Pacifica- $39,800
Freestyle- $34,645

Sticker prices don't work buddy, the Pacifica's running a $2K rebate. And why do you insist on comparing fully-loaded versions, rather than the ones more likely to be popular?

The following cars are equipped with side/curtain airbags, AWD, a third row seat, and leather seats, and the Freestyle is included because it's as much of an SUV as the Pacifica is. And these are TMVs, with the sticker price in parentheses:

Do it with your options selections as well if you must, but use TMV (or CarsDirect) rather than MSRP.
Where is the Murano? And, the B9 just came out so it is too early for a tmv type price to be accurate at all. Plus, the B9 also has standard heated seats and a standard sunroof on Limited models.  

ifcar

B9 Tribeca- $36,320
Highlander- $37,968
Murano- $38,780
Pilot- $35231
Pacifica- $39,800
Freestyle- $34,645

Where is the Murano? And, the B9 just came out so it is too early for a tmv type price to be accurate at all. Plus, the B9 also has standard heated seats and a standard sunroof on Limited models.
The third row seat cost extra on a couple of the vehicles (including the B9) so I didn't think it would be fair to include a vehicle without one.

But you must agree that, at least for now, the B9 is not much of a value. Even adding on the sunroof and heated seats to the cars that don't already have it will only lessen the gap between the Subaru and the next-highest Toyota to about $2,000.

And if you're going to call TMV inaccurate, even its sticker price is higher than all but the Buick and Toyota.

BTW, just for comparison purposes, an Outback R VDC wagon currently TMVs for only $1,500 under sticker, and the B9 is lower-production and in a more-popular market segment, so it's unlikely to even meet that.

Face it, calling the Tribeca "priced pretty well" is more than a stretch. The price is definitely one of its weak points.

TBR

B9 Tribeca- $36,320
Highlander- $37,968
Murano- $38,780
Pilot- $35231
Pacifica- $39,800
Freestyle- $34,645

The third row seat cost extra on a couple of the vehicles (including the B9) so I didn't think it would be fair to include a vehicle without one.

But you must agree that, at least for now, the B9 is not much of a value. Even adding on the sunroof and heated seats to the cars that don't already have it will only lessen the gap between the Subaru and the next-highest Toyota to about $2,000.

And if you're going to call TMV inaccurate, even its sticker price is higher than all but the Buick and Toyota.

BTW, just for comparison purposes, an Outback R VDC wagon currently TMVs for only $1,500 under sticker, and the B9 is lower-production and in a more-popular market segment, so it's unlikely to even meet that.

Face it, calling the Tribeca "priced pretty well" is more than a stretch. The price is definitely one of its weak points.
When will you get it that msrp determines if a vehicle is overpriced and tmv determines if it is overvalued? According to your numbers (though, the B9 still has more features than the others) it is both,and according to mine (assuming that the cardirect numbers are roughly the same amount below msrp for my numbers as they were for yours) it is only overvalued. If people are willing to pay close to msrp for a vehicle, it isn't overpriced, but it very well might be overvalued.  

TBR

And, I still consider the B9 to be the 3rd best value in its class.  

ifcar

As I just said in the Eclipse thread, I'm only different terminology than you are to convey the point that the Tribeca costs more than its competitors, which would not make it an especially good value.

TBR

QuoteAs I just said in the Eclipse thread, I'm only different terminology than you are to convey the point that the Tribeca costs more than its competitors, which would not make it an especially good value.
No, I consider the Tribeca to be one of the better deals out there in the wanna-be suv market. The problem with your numbers is that you are forgetting that a Subaru uses the same pricing technique that Acura uses (which I hate by the way), you got stuck with pretty much everything even if you don't want it. Your prices are for fairly minimally equipped vehicles, mine are for almost fully loaded vehicles. You can also not fault a vehicle for selling at msrp, but you can fault it if that msrp is above and beyond those of its competitors (not the case here, as the B9 Tribeca falls right in the middle of its primary competitors). If a vehicle is selling for a price above and beyond its competitors that is probably because it is a better vehicle, and I think that is the case here.  

ifcar

I can't say I see much logic in a series of statements that says the B9 is a good value (though price comparisons suggest otherwise) but sells at a higher price because it is a better vehicle.

The B9 may be a good vehicle, but selling at a high price is one of its faults.

TBR

QuoteI can't say I see much logic in a series of statements that says the B9 is a good value (though price comparisons suggest otherwise) but sells at a higher price because it is a better vehicle.

The B9 may be a good vehicle, but selling at a high price is one of its faults.
It isn't selling at a higher price, people are buying it at a higher price because they perceive it as being worth more money. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

ifcar

For the manufacturer, not for the consumer. Why would anyone buying a car consider its selling for a high price in relation to its sticker price compared to selling for less a benefit (except perhaps in resale value)?

TBR

QuoteFor the manufacturer, not for the consumer. Why would anyone buying a car consider its selling for a high price in relation to its sticker price compared to selling for less a benefit (except perhaps in resale value)?
Because that shows that the general consensus is that the B9 is a better vehicle than its competitors and is worth a bit extra.  

ifcar

What the average buyer is willing to pay is only that. High sales and high demand do not determine whether or not a vehicle is good, unless you trust the average buyer to be making an intelligent buying decision.

TBR

QuoteWhat the average buyer is willing to pay is only that. High sales and high demand do not determine whether or not a vehicle is good, unless you trust the average buyer to be making an intelligent buying decision.
At this price level I do.  

Raza

38K!?  This has to be the most expensive Subaru, right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote38K!?  This has to be the most expensive Subaru, right?
It is.  

ifcar

Trusting consumers to make informed decisions at any price level is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering Subaru's brand loyalty.

BTW, my Honda dealer is (at least as of last week) selling Ridgelines above sticker, and at a similar price point. Does that prove, or even provide evidence that the Ridgeline is a good car?

TBR

QuoteTrusting consumers to make informed decisions at any price level is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering Subaru's brand loyalty.

BTW, my Honda dealer is (at least as of last week) selling Ridgelines above sticker, and at a similar price point. Does that prove, or even provide evidence that the Ridgeline is a good car?
The Ridgeline has the hype factor to account for its high selling price, the B9 doesn't. Fine then, the B9 Tribeca is overvalued compared to its competitors, but it isn't overpriced, in both the absolute and relative sense.  

ifcar

But the sticker price is also higher than its competitors, even the more expensive ones. It's very simple: value just isn't the Tribeca's strong point.

TBR

QuoteBut the sticker price is also higher than its competitors, even the more expensive ones. It's very simple: value just isn't the Tribeca's strong point.
No it isn't, you can'tcompare vehicles that aren't comparably equipped. The B9 Limited comes almost fully loaded, the top trim levels of the other vehicles (except for the Pilot) do not.  My numbers are for comparably equipped competitors.