C/D's B9 Tribeca Review

Started by TBR, June 07, 2005, 02:45:11 PM

TBR

QuoteBut the sticker price is also higher than its competitors, even the more expensive ones. It's very simple: value just isn't the Tribeca's strong point.
No it isn't, you can'tcompare vehicles that aren't comparably equipped. The B9 Limited comes almost fully loaded, the top trim levels of the other vehicles (except for the Pilot) do not.  My numbers are for comparably equipped competitors.
This is the list of standard equipment for the B9 Tribeca Limited that is unusual for even a top trim level mainstream suv:

Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)
Side-curtain air bags protecting front and outboard 2nd-row occupants (SRS)
Seat-mounted front side-impact air bags (SRS)*
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
3-stage heated front seats
HomeLink? remote transmitter with 3 memory settings
160-watt 9-speaker premium audio system with subwoofer, 6-disc in-dash CD player and MP3 compatibility
Four 12-volt power outlets in center console storage compartment and cargo area
Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
Rear-cabin air conditioner with control for 4-speed fan
Antitheft security system with engine immobilizer and answer-back electronic chirp
Heated side mirrors and windshield wipers de-icer
Power tilt/sliding-glass moonroof
Privacy glass for rear doors, rear quarters and liftgate

ifcar

The Freestyle doesn't have stability control and the Pilot doesn't have a sunroof, but I'm almost positive that you can get the rest of that equipment (still at a lower price) on several competitors. (However, once again, I won't be able to check TMV, CarsDirect, or even sticker prices on this connection.)

TBR

QuoteThe Freestyle doesn't have stability control and the Pilot doesn't have a sunroof, but I'm almost positive that you can get the rest of that equipment (still at a lower price) on several competitors. (However, once again, I won't be able to check TMV, CarsDirect, or even sticker prices on this connection.)
I will work on this Monday, but for now I feel like I am going to collapse and my Sunday is full enough as it is.

Edit- I know you can get all of this stuff on the competition, but it isn't standard on most of them like it is on the B9.

ifcar

Right, but as long as it's still cheaper with the equipment added as options, what difference does it make?

TBR

Nissan Murano SL- $36,130
Chrysler Pacifica Touring- $35090
Subaru B9 Tribeca 7 passenger Limited- $34,520
Toyota Highlander Limited with 3rd row- $35,220
Honda Pilot EX-L- $33,238
Ford Freestyle Limited- $33,470
Mitsubishi Endeavor Limited- $34,451
Buick Rendezvous Ultra-  $40,225

TBR

QuoteRight, but as long as it's still cheaper with the equipment added as options, what difference does it make?
3 vehicles are cheaper and 4 are more expensive. You are more than welcome to redo the numbers tommorrow if you want, but the truth won't change ;).  

TBR

QuoteThe Freestyle doesn't have stability control and the Pilot doesn't have a sunroof, but I'm almost positive that you can get the rest of that equipment (still at a lower price) on several competitors. (However, once again, I won't be able to check TMV, CarsDirect, or even sticker prices on this connection.)
First, we are comparing msrps right now to determine whether or not the B9 is overpriced or not. From an absolute point of view it isn't since people are paying very close to msrp, and from my research it isn't overpriced relatively either. As my numbers prove, it is actually one of the cheaper vehicles in its class if you use comparably equipped vehicles. In reality, only the Freestyle and Pilot are cheaper since you can get a 5-seat version of the B9 for $2000 less than the 7-seat model and that is the vehicle that competes with the Endeavor. My statement that the B9 Tribeca is a pretty decent value still stands.

I know I already replied to the quoted post, but it was done rather half heartedly, I thought I would give it my all this time around.  

thewizard16

Well, I personally think it's ugly as hell, and along with the Veyron, qualify as visual designs that were better left in the toilet. I don't care how nice of a vehicle it might be, I could never drive that thing.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

QuoteRight, but as long as it's still cheaper with the equipment added as options, what difference does it make?
3 vehicles are cheaper and 4 are more expensive. You are more than welcome to redo the numbers tommorrow if you want, but the truth won't change ;).
Even going by sticker prices, it's only average. I still fail to see how you call it a good value (unless you consider "average" to be "good"), and comparing figures closer to real-world pricing it's out of the running against the cars you posted.

To your second post specifically, I don't see how you consider fourth best of eight cars to be one of the cheaper vehicles in its class.

TBR

Even going by sticker prices, it's only average. I still fail to see how you call it a good value (unless you consider "average" to be "good"), and comparing figures closer to real-world pricing it's out of the running against the cars you posted.

To your second post specifically, I don't see how you consider fourth best of eight cars to be one of the cheaper vehicles in its class.
Let me see, there are 5 out of 7 vehicles that are more expensive than it, that makes it one of the better values imho.  

ifcar

There are 8 vehicles that you listed, and here they are, in order of most to least expensive (going by sticker here):

1. Rendezvous
2. Murano
3. Highlander
4. Pacifica
5. Tribeca
6. Endeavor
7. Freestyle
8. Pilot

Where are the five vehicles that it is less expensive than? There are four above and three below it, which is as close to the middle as a list of eight vehicles can be.

TBR

QuoteThere are 8 vehicles that you listed, and here they are, in order of most to least expensive (going by sticker here):

1. Rendezvous
2. Murano
3. Highlander
4. Pacifica
5. Tribeca
6. Endeavor
7. Freestyle
8. Pilot

Where are the five vehicles that it is less expensive than? There are four above and three below it, which is as close to the middle as a list of eight vehicles can be.
The Endeavor is more expensive than the B9 it competes with (the 5 passenger version).  

ifcar

I was simply going by the numbers that you chose to provide. And you still said 5/7, when there are clearly 8 vehicles on the list you gave. Or did that suddenly change again?

TBR

QuoteI was simply going by the numbers that you chose to provide. And you still said 5/7, when there are clearly 8 vehicles on the list you gave. Or did that suddenly change again?
7 besides the B9 itself, I assumed that was self explanatory  :rolleyes: And, I mentioned in another post that the B9 was cheaper than the Endeavor when equipped comparably.  

ifcar

Some of its competitors are available only with third rows, some are available only without. There's no simple way to compare for example the Freestyle, Endeavor, and Tribeca, because whichever way you equip the Subaru, either it has an option that one doesn't have, or doesn't have an option that one has.

TBR

QuoteSome of its competitors are available only with third rows, some are available only without. There's no simple way to compare for example the Freestyle, Endeavor, and Tribeca, because whichever way you equip the Subaru, either it has an option that one doesn't have, or doesn't have an option that one has.
That doesn't make sense. You can equip a B9 comparably to the Endeavor, it is just a different model than you would use with the others (except the Murano).  

ifcar

Right, but you can't compare all eight at the same time without ending up with either an underequipped or an overequipped Tribeca. That was my point.

TBR

QuoteRight, but you can't compare all eight at the same time without ending up with either an underequipped or an overequipped Tribeca. That was my point.
I understand your point.