Road Rage

Started by TheIntrepid, January 14, 2007, 12:39:39 PM

TheIntrepid

You have a car? :confused: ...

Though justice is sweet.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

James Young

I am currently traveling through So Cal, having driven from Tulsa out I-40, the heavy metal version of Route 66.  The highways were all clear and dry despite the icy weather in OK. 

The past two days I was in LA and cruising the 210 through Pasadena, Sierra Madre, et al where normal speeds (traffic permitting) are about 75.    Last night, coming down the 15 into Temecula, traffic was running 80 and the Chippies simply ignored us.

When I left Tulsa, it was 7 degrees.  Yesterday in Pasadena, it was 70 degrees.  Tomorrow in Palm Desert, it will be about 75.  The problem here is traffic:  how to keep it moving with little attempt to try to slow it down.   Officer Bob is to So Cal what a bicycle is to a fish. 

I did see a Los Angeles  County sheriff?s deputy running an ?enhanced? black Mustang, (5PCT507) running down PCH near Manhattan Beach trying to coax other kids to race him.  People were ignoring him. 
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

pommes-t

My most dangerous experience was in my dad's old Passat. I was driving a bit over 200, which was the topspeed. In a very short distance a woman in a Madza MX5 suddenly pulls into my left lane to overtake another car. She was driving about 120. I hit the brakes as hard as possible. There were less than 2 metres left as I came down to her speed. If I hadn't reacted as quick as pre-20 years old people can do best, I would have hit her with a VERY much higher speed.

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 20, 2007, 10:29:22 AM
You have a car? :confused: ...

Though justice is sweet.

Yeah, didn't you hear?

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Psilos on January 20, 2007, 05:11:25 PM
Yeah, didn't you hear?

Holy shit that thing is SEXY..

and I wasn't calling you out jackass, I was just asking how you're driving given you just sold your car.

The Pirate

I think you just answered it yourself homeslice.  He just sold his car, meaning he owned one (or several) in the past.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SaltyDog

He said it happened a few minutes ago(a few minutes before he wrote it, that is).  Still, who cares, he didn't even say it was his car.  He could have borrowed it or was serving DD time with a friend's car.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: James Young on January 20, 2007, 11:42:20 AM
I am currently traveling through So Cal, having driven from Tulsa out I-40, the heavy metal version of Route 66.  The highways were all clear and dry despite the icy weather in OK. 

The past two days I was in LA and cruising the 210 through Pasadena, Sierra Madre, et al where normal speeds (traffic permitting) are about 75.    Last night, coming down the 15 into Temecula, traffic was running 80 and the Chippies simply ignored us.

When I left Tulsa, it was 7 degrees.  Yesterday in Pasadena, it was 70 degrees.  Tomorrow in Palm Desert, it will be about 75.  The problem here is traffic:  how to keep it moving with little attempt to try to slow it down.   Officer Bob is to So Cal what a bicycle is to a fish. 

I did see a Los Angeles  County sheriff?s deputy running an ?enhanced? black Mustang, (5PCT507) running down PCH near Manhattan Beach trying to coax other kids to race him.  People were ignoring him. 

It gets faster than that. When the freeways aren't parking lots in L.A, people drive fast. Not just the twenty year old males, but 35 year old soccer moms in SUVs and everyone else it seems. I've driven up to  Torrence from N. County San Diego quite a bit to visit my Grandma and I'm shocked at how fast the average speed is. I was just up there a couple of weeks ago and the crusing speed was 85. In the fast lane, I was doing 90+ and still had people riding my ass. And guess who it was....a soccer mom on the cell phone in her Range ( I had a good laugh). What is even worse is that everyone, while doing 85+, is talking on the phone. Only in L.A.

I think it has to do with the fact that people in L.A seem to be very stressed out and when they aren't in a parking lot on the 405, they have to find a way to let their stress out.

As for the CHP, I really don't think they care since EVERYONE is speeding.

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 20, 2007, 05:43:41 PM
Holy shit that thing is SEXY..

and I wasn't calling you out jackass, I was just asking how you're driving given you just sold your car.

Easy, big guy...

Yeah, I was DDing for my room mate. Buncha fuckin' kids (well, they acted like a bunch of fuckin kids...) doing jello shots isn't a very fun drinking environment for those of us with more mature alcohol tastes :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dsred

Quote from: R-inge on January 14, 2007, 07:52:45 PM
I have a tough time with folks who tailgate me even when I am doing 10-15mph over the speed limit.?

A funny story about a friend of mine from New Hampster:

He was cruising down this stretch of road before our dealership which is 30, but everyone usually goes about 40, which he was.? He had another coworker with him.? This guy proceeds to tailgate him furiously for the next mile or so, only to eventually pull off at a restaurant.? My friend sees him pulling off and pulls over himself, backs up to him and screams "My ten over wasn't %$#&ing fast enough for ya huh?"? The offending party was some old cranky fart who swore back and acted all offended.? My friend wanted to get out and pound the crap outta him, but luckily our coworker restrained him.? "I don't want to have to explain that I had to bail you out of jail for beating the sh!t outta some old man, and that's why we're late for work."? lol!

Were there two lanes in your direction of travel? Was your friend in the left one?

dsred

Quote from: TBR on January 14, 2007, 10:07:54 PM
Left lane campers really annoy me a lot as do impatient passers (I'll speed up so that I can get over as soon as possible, unless you tailgate me in which case I will pace the car beside me just to piss you off). But, I've never been as pissed off as I was last week when a truck (of the eighteen wheeled variety) moved to the left lane at a light because there was one CAR in the right lane! Oh I was pissed.

Left lane campers annoy you but you'll become one if you have someone who dares drive faster than you pull up behind you? I smell a hypocrite.

dsred

Quote from: L. ed foote on January 15, 2007, 08:11:21 AM
Never had a problem.? If they're driving slower than me, I pass them, if they're driving faster than me, I yield to them.

If only everyonew had your philosophy....which happens to be mine!  :mrcool:

dsred

Quote from: Tave on January 16, 2007, 12:25:55 PM
There are two groups of people who piss me off:

1) People who tailgate me when I'm already speeding or going the limit.

And what lane are you doing this in?

heelntoe

welcome to teh forums.
@heelntoe

Vinsanity

Quote from: James Young on January 20, 2007, 11:42:20 AM

I did see a Los Angeles? County sheriff?s deputy running an ?enhanced? black Mustang, (5PCT507) running down PCH near Manhattan Beach trying to coax other kids to race him.? People were ignoring him.?

lol good looking out, pal :ohyeah:

interesting, though. I like to use PCH to drive home from work on nice days, and I don't come across too many drivers who would "bite"...oh well, at least I know I'm smarter than that.

btw, how did you know the Mustang was really the fuzz?

TBR

Quote from: dsred on January 22, 2007, 07:03:11 PM
Left lane campers annoy you but you'll become one if you have someone who dares drive faster than you pull up behind you? I smell a hypocrite.

I only camp when provoked, there is  big difference . I don't just hang out in the left lane because there are fewer cars in it. Even if I am going 20-25 mph faster than everybody else I'll get over whenever there is room after passing just in case. But if I pull out to pass someone and am passing them at a decent pace yet some idiot decides to tailgate me anyway, yes I will retilate. Trying to teach other drivers a lesson maybe childish and immature, but I am only 17, that is what should be expected from me :P

Of course the ironic thing is that people tend to tailgate more often in the right lane which makes no sense.

TheIntrepid

Yesterday, when the roads were pretty icy, this smartass in a red Focus sedan decided to pull out of a side street right in front of me. I may have been doing about ~58kph in a 50 zone. I flashed my beams at him and honked once to let him know I could have slid and hit him braking. The guy proceeds to drive at precisely 35kph...15 under the limit. I tailgate him a bit as I was 15 minutes late for work. The idiot decides to brake-check me... and the defensive driver that I am, I pulled beside him and mashed it to try and pass. Unfortunately for me, a car was coming in the oncoming lane so I had to pull back in. The fuckwad then turns off after giving me a light wave through his window.

:banghead:

TBR

I don't see what he did wrong, in fact you appear to be the ass. The roads were dangerous, the other driver compensated for this so you tailgated him and are now calling him the idiot? Uh-huh.

93JC

Yeah man, wow... You're the one coming across as the ass-hat.

SaltyDog

Sorry, I was thinking the same thing when you said roads were icy but you were going 8 over.  Still, he should pull right in front fo somebody.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TBR

Of course if he had been driving for the conditions it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

TheIntrepid

I was going with the flow. All the other cars were going 8-over and it was a pretty fast-moving road. The guy pulled in front of me knowing this.

afty

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 24, 2007, 07:09:45 AM
The fuckwad then turns off after giving me a light wave through his window.

This is my favorite move to deal with an asshat who thinks I'm not driving fast enough or that I shouldn't brake for that pedestrian in the cross walk.  Give them a wave and a smile as they fly by.    :devil:

93JC

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 24, 2007, 01:27:31 PM
I was going with the flow. All the other cars were going 8-over and it was a pretty fast-moving road. The guy pulled in front of me knowing this.

Better than pulling this:

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 24, 2007, 07:09:45 AM
I pulled beside him and mashed it to try and pass. Unfortunately for me, a car was coming in the oncoming lane so I had to pull back in. The fuckwad then turns off after giving me a light wave through his window.

TheIntrepid

Okay maybe I was being a bit too pissy. Ugh I have to work on this temper. :(

Raza

Hahahaha!  That sounds like something I would do.  I wave, wink, or even blow a kiss instead of giving the finger.  It pisses people off to no end!

The blowing a kiss thing combined with a wink will send every would-be fratboy teenager over the edge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

My psych teacher was saying that all the media reports that road rage is on the rise is BS.  They show a few accounts of it happening in the area are want you to assume there are many other like cases.  In reality, they just got a clever new term for something that has been happening for as long as there have been cars and roads.  Studys show road rage is actually going down in recent years.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7243.msg345413#msg345413 date=1169697639
Hahahaha!? That sounds like something I would do.? I wave, wink, or even blow a kiss instead of giving the finger.? It pisses people off to no end!

The blowing a kiss thing combined with a wink will send every would-be fratboy teenager over the edge.

It's even better to pull up next to a ricer who has a girl in the passenger seat look over blow a kiss and then wink at her. The ricer will then try to race you. It fun to hit on his girl and then embarass his car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 25, 2007, 08:00:39 AM
It's even better to pull up next to a ricer who has a girl in the passenger seat look over blow a kiss and then wink at her. The ricer will then try to race you. It fun to hit on his girl and then embarass his car.

Generally the Asian ones around here have knives. That wouldn't be too smart.