Knocking noise

Started by JYODER240, January 18, 2007, 08:42:15 PM

JYODER240

There is a knocking noise coming from the front of my car when driving at parking lot speeds. You can't feel it and it sounds like its coming from the front left. If i'm on the brakes the noise stops and the steering angle doesn't seem to have an affect on it. I'll be calling the Nissan Dealer first thing in the morning. My guess is its the brakes, anyone know what it could be?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

mazda6er

I have somewhat of a rapid knocking sound because my hood doesn't sit right now. (Take a guess why :lol:). Think it could just be a vibration issue? Hopefully?   :huh:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

S204STi

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 18, 2007, 08:42:15 PM
There is a knocking noise coming from the front of my car when driving at parking lot speeds. You can't feel it and it sounds like its coming from the front left. If i'm on the brakes the noise stops and the steering angle doesn't seem to have an affect on it. I'll be calling the Nissan Dealer first thing in the morning. My guess is its the brakes, anyone know what it could be?

Something in your tire tread would be my first guess.  How old is the car and what model is it?

JYODER240

Quote from: R-inge on January 18, 2007, 09:21:05 PM
Something in your tire tread would be my first guess.? How old is the car and what model is it?

Its a 05 Z.

S204STi

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 18, 2007, 09:23:00 PM
Its a 05 Z.
Huh.  You mentioned it stops when you apply the brakes, so maybe it isn't tire debris...does the car sit a lot?

The Pirate

If you wait long enough, another noise will develop, and you will no longer hear that one.  Voila, problem solved!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

Quote from: R-inge on January 18, 2007, 09:24:07 PM
Huh.? You mentioned it stops when you apply the brakes, so maybe it isn't tire debris...does the car sit a lot?

Nope. It sat for about 8 hours while I was at work but its sat for much longer than that with no problem.

Raza

Have you ever considered that someone is trying to get in?

Dumbass.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on January 18, 2007, 09:21:05 PM
Something in your tire tread would be my first guess.? ?
Mebbe- check the tire for stuck rocks...
Will

etypeJohn

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7310.msg340346#msg340346 date=1169207686
Have you ever considered that someone is trying to get in?

Dumbass.

Or get out!!!  perhaps a gas station attendant trapped in the engine bay.   :huh:

Sounds like brakes or possibly a wheel bearing. 

JYODER240

Well I solved the problem. I'm either incredibly lucky or stupid. I drove my moms car to class today and when I got home went to drive mine to see if it was still doing it. I couldn't hear anything so I drove it to work and just assumed it went away. Before I left as I was going through the parking lot I turned off the radio to make a phone call and I could hear a grinding noise. I drove back into the garage and looked at the front left wheel and there was only two lugnuts left on and one was just barely on. I spun it off with my fingers. When I put my winter wheels/tires back last Monday I thought I torqued them all down but must have missed the front passenger wheel. I put the car on a rack and removed the wheel. There's a bolt that comes out of the rotor to serve as a wheel guide. The wheel was hitting against it and thats what was making the knocking and grinding sound. The bolt is slighty bent so tomorrow I'll go to a Nissan dealership and get a new bolt and 3 new lugnuts. If I had drove home tonight or to class this morning the wheel probably would have fallen off and costs thousands in damage.

ifcar

Raghavan

S204STi

Quote from: Raghavan on January 19, 2007, 05:43:21 PM
st00pit kid.
:nono:

You say that, but wait till you do it yourself...I have.

JYODER240

Quote from: R-inge on January 20, 2007, 07:12:52 AM
You say that, but wait till you do it yourself...I have.

Its allright, anyone who uses 0's instead of o's has the joke on them.

280Z Turbo

I've done that before. :P

My car drove a little weird because of that.

J86

Wow dude, good thing you caught that!

footoflead

wow, i always double check the torque on my lugs, and then check every single wheel again...

Lucky for me both the truck and the mustang have lug covers so what i do after i pretty much triple check the torque is i put the cover on that way i KNOW i have done that wheel and its good to go...no guessing

when in doubt check it again  ;)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

JYODER240

Yeah, i'll definently get into the habit of double and triple checking now.

Raza

Whew.  Disaster averted.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.