World Rally Championship season gets underway at Monte Carlo!

Started by FoMoJo, January 19, 2007, 07:21:52 AM

FoMoJo

...for those who are rally fans.

http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/en/headlines/news/news_rally.shtml

So far, it's Sebastian Loeb in his new Citroen...but he has some competition from his teammate this season.

They need some more manufacturers to compete in the WRC.? It'd be nice to see Audi, Toyota, Renault, and Mitsubishi with a serious effort, back in it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

S204STi

I am predicting another mediocre year from Subaru.  However it would be interesting to see if any improvements are made now that Subaru is using BFGoodrich tires rather than Pirellis.

r0tor

I completely lost track of this series after Speed Channel was converted to Speed TV and coverage became horrible  :banghead:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on January 19, 2007, 12:30:50 PM
I completely lost track of this series after Speed Channel was converted to Speed TV and coverage became horrible? :banghead:

I used to love the Speed Channel. Now I fucking hate it. I don't even have it anymore.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

J86

Michael Estorol

the Teuton

There's a reason a lot of people are betting the next WRX will be a smaller hatchback design instead of a sedan and wagon.  It's called homologation production for WRC racing to get competitive again.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MrEddy

Pretty good result for Atkinson in the Subaru all things considered. Would have been nice to see him keep 4th though. I really hope he has a good season.

ro51092

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2007, 04:49:20 PM
There's a reason a lot of people are betting the next WRX will be a smaller hatchback design instead of a sedan and wagon.  It's called homologation production for WRC racing to get competitive again.

I hope it's not a hatch.

MrEddy

ro51092

I love hatches, it's just that the WRX is a sedan, and I hope it will continue.

Same reason I would never buy a GLI over a GTI. The GTI is supposed to be a hatch, not a sedan. Even though the GLI is supposed to be a whole different model, the GTI is what it really is, except in a sedan.

the Teuton

Quote from: ro51092 on January 20, 2007, 09:13:39 PM
I hope it's not a hatch.

While I'd generally agree with you, and I hope that there is a WRX sedan when the next model comes out, I think it will happen for several reasons.  First, Subaru's car is based on a design, that while a little different that the original, is still a little outdated.  The original WRX in street trim weighed about 2,800-2,900 in most applications whereas the new one is about 3,150-3,300 lbs.  Most, if not all of it through the years has gone to safety and structual rigidity, but the same basic design is starting to lose out in the way of performance for practicality.  There's a reason a lot of tuners will take the GC/GF/GM-series (last gen) over the GD/GG models.  The rally cars, while hundreds of pounds lighter, are still based on heavier designs than these little 206s and the like.

With the new design, they need to lighten the car again and make it more advance so they can make a better rally car with a more rigid frame (aka little hatchy wagon thing).  When was the last time that you saw a Subaru in rally garb in an ad?  Answer:  a long time ago.  It isn't as competitve, and being that Subie is a smaller company (albeit now 9% Toyota owned), they keep designs around a little longer than most.

So other than making a smaller hatch thing to compete with the other hatch things, the other reason I think it will happen is that Subie is competing in Europe where people don't care that you race a hatchback.  In America, unless it's a sub-$20,000 Focus SVT, it will sell in small numbers if it is a sporty hatch.  Period.  And even then, it still won't sell in logistically justifiable numbers.

I think it's a good move, but no one has seen an Impreza sedan mule running around yet, so there may not be one coming.

S204STi

Quote from: Michael Estorol on January 20, 2007, 04:46:51 PM
hell yeah -- with a bit of luck, subaru might push up to third!

:tounge:  :tounge:  :tounge:

They were third last year.  It was the drivers who failed to reach the podium.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

heelntoe

i used to get speedvision here due to some bizzare mix-up.
@heelntoe

S204STi

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7317.msg343369#msg343369 date=1169526172
Is Seat or Skoda running?
They're a couple of Skoda teams...but they're private entries.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 23, 2007, 08:56:09 AM
They're a couple of Skoda teams...but they're private entries.

Oh.  I might as well pull for one of the French teams, since I really like French cars.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

Quote from: R-inge on January 22, 2007, 09:10:41 PM
Betcha didn't complain? :lol:
:lol:
it was fun while i had it.

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2007, 09:22:52 PM
Is Seat or Skoda running?
a couple of skoda fabia hatches run by privateers
@heelntoe

Tave

I had my own little Rally Championship when I was back home over break. It consisted of nothing more than me driving around everynight when I got bored looking for fresh parkinglots.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: r0tor on January 19, 2007, 12:30:50 PM
I completely lost track of this series after Speed Channel was converted to Nascar TV and coverage became horrible :banghead:

Fixed...

And that was about the only reason I entered this thread. To mourn the loss of Speedvision. Seems like yesterday I'd turn off Gran Turismo 3 late at night just in time to catch the late night WRC repeat... sigh....
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

Well, didn't NASCAR buy Speedvision?  I used to love that channel.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i