Older German cars are great!

Started by sportyaccordy, January 22, 2007, 01:10:13 PM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

pommes-t

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7371.msg350255#msg350255 date=1170169006
I really like the round ones too.

Maybe these look better to me, because I'm used to them, but ...  :rockon:

sportyaccordy

The large rectangular ones = Euro

They're reminiscent of Volvos though

TheIntrepid

I hate the W123. Actually I dislike the styling of all Benzes before the W124, except the old S-classes.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

pommes-t

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 30, 2007, 01:10:00 PM
I hate the W123. Actually I dislike the styling of all Benzes before the W124, except the old S-classes.

Be thankful Transatlantic-flights are so expensive. Wimmer might come over and kill you otherwise....  ;) :lol:

How can anybody hate the W123? Besides it's a very beautiful car it's a classic and it was great for its time. I guess we have a different taste.
I bet you don't like beer eh?  :lol:

ro51092

TheIntrepid

What does Gusta mean? I'm fluent in French, barely know any Spanish. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

J86

Me gusta =  I like.

Old Benzos looks awesome!

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 30, 2007, 02:39:04 PM
What does Gusta mean? I'm fluent in French, barely know any Spanish. :huh:

Me gusta el W123.

I like the W123.  Literally, the translation is "The W123 pleases me", but that sounds a little funky in English.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

Quote from: The Pirate on January 30, 2007, 02:41:54 PM

Me gusta el W123.

I like the W123.? Literally, the translation is "The W123 pleases me", but that sounds a little funky in English.

Beatcha to it! :praise:

pommes-t

El W123 es un de los coches mas bonitos en todo el mundo! Me gusta muy bien! Es un palo!

Damn, I miss school...

93JC

Quote from: pommes-t on January 30, 2007, 03:05:15 PM
El W123 es un de los coches mas bonitos en todo el mundo! Me gusta muy bien! Es un palo!

Damn, I miss school...

Except you forget the upsidedown exclamation marks at the beginning of the sentences. :nono:

I'm surprised I could understand all of that, up until 'palo'. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2007, 03:50:16 PM
Except you forget the upsidedown exclamation marks at the beginning of the sentences. :nono:

I don't know "palo" either.  Alta Vista translated it as "wood", freetranslation.com said "stick". 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

pommes-t

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2007, 03:50:16 PM

Es un palo means something like "that's the bomb, ya".

I had only a few sentences I said anywhen I could during school that gave me good grades. "Es un rollo" "Es un poco aburrido" "Si, Si, claro" "Es un palo" and "Es una locura"...

... and of course "yo no se".

That's it. My Spanish sucks, but at school these few sentences gave me a "B"!  :lol: :ohyeah:

Raghavan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2007, 05:57:30 PM
What's with the widespread hate of round headlights? Do all lights now need to be shrouded in some amorphous plastic housing to be cool?

The Mini has round headlights: and those are "cool and retro."

But round headlights on an actual vintage car are ugly? :huh:
Uh, no, but we just think that for this particular car, the other headlights look better, that's all.

Rupert

Quote from: pommes-t on January 30, 2007, 02:05:16 PM
Be thankful Transatlantic-flights are so expensive. Wimmer might come over and kill you otherwise....  ;) :lol:

How can anybody hate the W123? Besides it's a very beautiful car it's a classic and it was great for its time. I guess we have a different taste.
I bet you don't like beer eh?  :lol:

He suggested Corona in MrH's good beer suggestions thread. So, no, he does not like beer. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

I said somewhere recently that European cars are more satisfying to drive. Even powerless Volvo 240s... And if they're from the '80s, they seem to go on forever in fine shape.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ChrisV

Quote from: Raghavan on January 30, 2007, 05:58:31 PM
Uh, no, but we just think that for this particular car, the other headlights look better, that's all.

Actually, there's a real difference between saying these are ugly and saying the other ones are better. You CAN like these AND think the other ones are better. It IS possible if you have more than 2 brain cells devoted to things you like. ;)

What he was saying was that people use the words "hate" and "ugly" way too much, or they feel that way for the most petty of reasons. It's always black or white: utter perfection or total crap. And that's simply ridiculous.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

L. ed foote

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 24, 2007, 11:14:11 PM
cool grm thread: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23133

That's my buddy Jim :praise:

Before he landed this, I was to look at a MB diesel wagon for him, but the owner sold it.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ChrisV on January 30, 2007, 07:40:18 AM
You're telling someone their opinion is wrong? Man, I get bitched at for doing that.

BTW, I prefer the round headlights on that Mercedes over the overly large rectangular ones.

More like I'm asking them to tell me why they have the opinion they do. They can dislike them if they want to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raghavan

Quote from: ChrisV on January 31, 2007, 07:24:36 AM
Actually, there's a real difference between saying these are ugly and saying the other ones are better. You CAN like these AND think the other ones are better. It IS possible if you have more than 2 brain cells devoted to things you like. ;)

What he was saying was that people use the words "hate" and "ugly" way too much, or they feel that way for the most petty of reasons. It's always black or white: utter perfection or total crap. And that's simply ridiculous.
I personally never said i hated the round ones. I just PREFER the rectangular ones more, but frankly, i don't really care at all. :huh:
I'm not going to throw a tantrum just because it has round headlights. :rolleyes: I can live with it.