Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Started by TheIntrepid, January 24, 2007, 08:39:54 AM

TheIntrepid

LeftLaneNews

Chrysler Group announced today at the Washington Auto Show pricing for its first diesel-powered, full-size SUV. The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0-liter common rail turbo diesel (CRD) engine will begin to arrive at Jeep dealerships in March.

The manufacturer?s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD will begin at $38,475, including $695 destination. The 3.0-liter V-6 CRD engine will be available on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland 4?2 and 4?4 models.

The new 3.0-liter V-6 CRD engine, built by Mercedes-Benz, produces 215 hp (160 kW) @ 3,800 rpm and 376 lb.-ft. torque (510 Nm) @ 1,600-2,800 rpm and gets an estimated fuel economy of 20 miles city and 25 miles highway for 4?2 models and 20 miles city and 24 miles highway for 4?4 models. The Grand Cherokee Limited 4?4 will cost $41,715, the Overland 4?2 $41,960, and the Overland 4?4 $45,395.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

nickdrinkwater

I thought they'd been making this for a while now.  :huh:

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

S204STi

What is the EPA rating for the 5.7?  Like, middle teens on the highway?  That would make 24mpg a nice improvement, but the price is staggering.

Panama_Chopster

The GC Top Gear drove was a CRD, looks like you guys have been missing some of the fun.

I think 20 MPG for that car is an understatement to the mileage capabilities of the Diesel engines, maybe much more being a CRD. Also you can forget about the whining of some who are not willing to give away some refinement for lots of MPG, IT SHOULD NOT CLATTER heavily.

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 24, 2007, 04:37:03 PM
I thought they'd been making this for a while now.? :huh:

They have. They just haven't sold it in North America.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on January 26, 2007, 07:38:31 AM
They have. They just haven't sold it in North America.

Oh, I see.

93JC

You have to remember, the only diesels of sizeable sales numbers we've had in recent memory have been Volkswagen Jettas and Golfs and large pickup trucks.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on January 26, 2007, 11:24:00 AM
You have to remember, the only diesels of sizeable sales numbers we've had in recent memory have been Volkswagen Jettas and Golfs and large pickup trucks.

Do you think we're going to see an increase in diesel sales with the new Bluetech diesels?  What's the availability of diesel fuel like in America?

93JC

If by 'America' you mean the United States of, I can't really say, haven't been there since 1994. :P

In Canada it's not available at every station, but plentiful enough that I don't think it causes diesel owners much grief. (and there are a handful of stations in industrial areas here that sell diesel exclusively, but there aren't many and they're meant for consumption by heavy-duty lorries)

Tave

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 26, 2007, 12:13:45 PM
Do you think we're going to see an increase in diesel sales with the new Bluetech diesels?? What's the availability of diesel fuel like in America?

It's everywhere. Truckers use it. There's tons of diesal cars here too. Just because those are the only being produced doesn't mean none were sold in the past. Nearly every old mercedes I see here is a diesal. And there are a lot of diesal pick-ups sold.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on January 26, 2007, 06:45:22 PM
It's everywhere. Truckers use it. There's tons of diesal cars here too. Just because those are the only being produced doesn't mean none were sold in the past. Nearly every old mercedes I see here is a diesal. And there are a lot of diesal pick-ups sold.

Don't try filling up your diesel car at a real truck stop pump though, the nozzle won't fit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on January 26, 2007, 01:36:04 PM
If by 'America' you mean the United States of, I can't really say, haven't been there since 1994. :P

:confused:

Seriously? Do you ever travel?!

the Teuton

Is this GC made in America or Austria?  Why is it so much?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

ro51092

S204STi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 26, 2007, 08:28:56 PM

Have you ever been to Canukistan? 

TheIntrepid

Quote from: R-inge on January 26, 2007, 08:52:21 PM
Have you ever been to Canukistan?

I live in Canuckistan. ;) ... oh and I've been to 43 states.

93JC

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 26, 2007, 08:28:56 PM

Some of us don't have the money to spend on trips to 43 states, $500 sweatshirts and so forth. :rolleyes:

mazda6er

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2007, 11:15:47 PM
Some of us don't have the money to spend on trips to 43 states, $500 sweatshirts and so forth. :rolleyes:
I know if I had gone to 43 states, I'd be sure to keep a running total.  :nutty:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

93JC

I've also only been to one other Canadian province for any length of time: Qu?bec, for a week, on a school-sponsored trip. That was also the last time I've been on a plane: ten years ago.

Hell, picking up my sister from the airport this past November was the first time well over five years I'd even been to Calgary International Airport...

93JC

But if it makes you feel better Adi, there's talk that a I and a few buddies might go to Montr?al in June and visit Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for a certain motorsports event. ;)

omicron

There's been a bright spotlight on the new generation of diesel engines in both four-wheel drives and passenger cars lately, with improvements in technology providing performance and refinement good enough to keep most unleaded-loving Australians happy. Reinforcing the palatability of 'new' diesels, seven days and 2000km in the Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD demonstrated to me not only how good an oiler can be, but constantly had me dreaming of slipping the motor into an Aussie four-door sedan.

Launched here late 2005, the CRD sits alongside 4.7 and 5.7-litre petrol V8 stablemates in the showroom but is streets ahead of them in the real world. Yep, the 3.0 V6 common rail direct injection diesel that also powers Merc's new ML 320 CDI is that good. Check the numbers: 160kW at 4000 rpm, but more importantly peak torque of 510Nm on tap between 1600-2800 rpm. Whilst talking numbers, try 0-100km/h in 9.0sec.

On the road, the stats equate to very strong performance under hard acceleration and effortless cruising in traffic. A couple of days of suburban and city peak hour reveal 2000rpm is rarely exceeded as the five-speed auto makes good use of the early torque arrival.

Changes are smooth (Ed: though not as good as the Benz's seven-speed CDI combo) even when giving it a bootfull, and it will hold gears when using the tiptronic function. Fuel consumption's good for this class of vehicle, returning 12.8lt/100km (18.38mpg) around town.

The suspension tune is well-matched to suburbia in that it's soft and compliant over minor bumps, but is devoid of excess pitching and rolling, resulting in high levels of comfort. The top-spec interior of the Limited makes things even more plush featuring electric, heated leather seats, six-stack in-dash CD, and electric everything as well as rear parking sensors and dual zone climate control.

Out on the open road clocking up 1500km from Adelaide to Alice Springs, the Jeep was a highly competent long distance cruiser. It's quiet and refined, and stable on the highway with easy to use steering wheel-mounted cruise control, and overtaking is effortless as those Newton metres render passed traffic dots in the mirror.

Once again, fuel consumption is excellent for a 2.2 tonne wagon with an average of 11.3lt/100km (20.8mpg), although a best of 10.7 (21.98) was achieved at one stage. However, with 510Nm coming on strong from 1600rpm, I was a little surprised to see 2450 rpm at 110km/h. I'm convinced it could easily hold highway speeds at lower rpm. Indeed, the CRD feels like it needs an extra ratio up top to capitalise on its monster torque.

I didn't get a chance to sample the Quadra-Drive II full-time four-wheel drive system in low-range off-road conditions, but did cover plenty of dirt miles on a combination of higher speed roads and slow but flat sandy tracks.

On the corrugated dirt typical of much of outback Australia, the Jeep showed its first loss of absolute composure. It's not bad, but feels under-sprung up front, with too much pitching and wallowing over what really aren't large bumps. Down back however, the chronic bump steer of early Jeeps is thankfully gone and the GC always felt firmly planted.

As good as the drivetrain is, there are a couple of flaws with the ergonomics. The handbrake and bonnet release on the passenger side don't bother me, but the cramped footwell on the driver's side does. A lot.

I'm not sure what the protrusion from the transmission tunnel next to the brake pedal is, but I'd have it taken out back and shot. I found my left ankle constantly throbbing because my foot can't sit flat down there, perched on an angle.

The only remedy is to have my left foot up just in front of the seat, right foot down in the well with the pedals. Just whinging? Maybe, and I'm 6'3" with size 11s, and my shorter passenger doesn't have the same problems when he drives it. Seriously it would be enough  to preclude me from buying the car. I could just move my leg, but at $69,090 plus on-road costs why should I...

It's a shame because the rest of the package is comfortable, quiet and refined with nicely weighted direct steering and a suspension tune that works well on-road and at slow speeds off.

But you can believe me when I say the drivetrain is a cracker. Petrol stations around Australia should start installing more diesel pumps, for it's rapidly becoming a real world performance option rather than simply a practical workhorse alternative.

http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/1968475.aspx

SVT_Power

Those are american prices right?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT_Power

I was talking about the original article. I assume Omi's is in AU currency
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna