Project Billie-Bob: The Redneck Truck

Started by Eye of the Tiger, January 24, 2007, 02:55:20 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2007, 04:35:16 PM
Why do you have a fuel pressure regulator? For that motor, you should't have needed to go to an electric pump.

It's a mechanical, but was pushig out 7psi at idle, and the carb is only supposed to have 5.5psi. I had a high idle for a while and couldn't figure out why, but it turned out to be the fuel pressure was just high enough so leak past the float valves.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 08, 2007, 04:41:44 PM
It's a mechanical, but was pushig out 7psi at idle, and the carb is only supposed to have 5.5psi. I had a high idle for a while and couldn't figure out why, but it turned out to be the fuel pressure was just high enough so leak past the float valves.

That's weird. I've never had anything but low fuel pressure problems with mechanicals.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

It must be some kind of high flow pump or something. The guy I bought it from was actually trying to make it fast when he had the motor built, he just didn't do everything right.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on February 07, 2007, 08:33:59 AM
Yeah, but you should have four straight pipes sticking up out the sides of your truck.  :lol:

Seriously though, looks cool, and a fun project, not too mention the hauling capabilities.  Maybe that's what I should do to solve my issue..

You mean turn the Civic into a pickup truck?  I'll help!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

NACar do you have any pics of the floor-shifter?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 08, 2007, 06:02:14 PM
NACar do you have any pics of the floor-shifter?

No, that would be impossible. You see, it is a column shift.  ;)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 08, 2007, 08:13:54 PM
No, that would be impossible. You see, it is a column shift.? ;)

I doubt he's ever seen one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Well, I just got done paying for a $370 brake job. I didn't have time to do any of the work myself, but I am glad to have rear brakes now (apparently they were completely gone).

I also gladly paid the guys another $60 for a complete inspection of the truck, because it's always good to have a second or third set of eyes lookign at it. The found the front brake pads are nearly gone, but I can to that myself fairly easily. The lower ball-joints were a bit worn, but I just told to put some grease in there because I'm not paying $400 for a couple of $30 ball-joints. Granted, it does involve a bit of labor and an alignment. They also found the idler arm bushings were badly worn, that would be $200 for the $30 idler arm and alignment... something I'll do myself eventually. The last thing was a scraping noise I've been hearing, we finally figured out it was the speedometer cable, so no biggie there. I was just afraid it was a wheel-bearing or something critical.

So, brakes are good... now it's not as scary to go fast, because believe me, the more I tweak with the timing/carb settings, the faster this thing gets. I can't get over how much top-end power this motor is putting out now. Once it gets past 3500rpms, it's really screaming. Low-end power is still retarded, which I still assume is because of the single-plane intake manifold. I think I have the timing set just right now though, which is good. I still could use a lighter spring for the metering rods in the carb, because I'm sure I'm still getting a slight lean stumble.

I wish I could take corners at over 20mph, I need bigger tires for sure. Not to mention that I can't ever floor it in 1st gear without one of the rear tires going up in smoke.
The used 235/75/15 Goodyear Invictas were just a temporary cheap fix. I need some slick 275/50/15's, but I just made up that size so it might not even exist. I need to put in an EZ Locker too, as soon as I get $500 I don't need for anything else.

I also cut about an inch off the column shifter to make a "short-shifter". The throws are actually much shorter and the feel has greatly improved. I think I might be able to pull of the 1-2 shift fast enough for a 0-60 time under 7 seconds. :praise:

Soup DeVille

What's your ignition timing like? Sounds like you might benefit from retarding the initial, and increasing the total advance.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 16, 2007, 10:35:54 PM
What's your ignition timing like? Sounds like you might benefit from retarding the initial, and increasing the total advance.

I set the inital at 12? using some timing tape I put on there, but it fell off after a couple of weeks. Anyway, I don't think it was 100% lined up right. What I've been doing now is advancing it little by little, and each time the low-rpm/part-throttle stumbling diminishes.

So I was thinking the complete reverse of what you're saying. Only during low-rpms and part throttle does it have problems. This tells me I need more initial timing, and/or the vacuum advance may not be working properly. Higher RPM (over 2,000-2,000) is perfectly fine under all throttle positions, which tells me the mechanical advance is working properly.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 16, 2007, 11:34:46 PM
I set the inital at 12? using some timing tape I put on there, but it fell off after a couple of weeks. Anyway, I don't think it was 100% lined up right. What I've been doing now is advancing it little by little, and each time the low-rpm/part-throttle stumbling diminishes.

So I was thinking the complete reverse of what you're saying. Only during low-rpms and part throttle does it have problems. This tells me I need more initial timing, and/or the vacuum advance may not be working properly. Higher RPM (over 2,000-2,000) is perfectly fine under all throttle positions, which tells me the mechanical advance is working properly.

Well, if it gets better when you advance it you're probably right

Eye of the Tiger

Had a very warm day yesterday, which seems to have made the part-throttle misfire disappear. Oh. The. Torque. I think I have the timing down now, it's just a bit lean!

I also got a hitch put on at the U-Haul place so I can to tow a 5000lb 6x12 trailer up to Maine next week. The guy installing it was completely in awe at my truck's shifter. He honestly couldn't believe a youngin' like me knew how to drive a 3-on-the-tree, or that there were even any left on the road. He started telling me stories about how he learned to drive with a column shift, then he veered off into this story about putting tractor brakes on old VW vans. He said they hooked up individual brake controls for each side, so it would turn on a dime, kind of like a tank. Crazienss! :confused:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2007, 10:16:33 PM
Had a very warm day yesterday, which seems to have made the part-throttle misfire disappear. Oh. The. Torque. I think I have the timing down now, it's just a bit lean!

I also got a hitch put on at the U-Haul place so I can to tow a 5000lb 6x12 trailer up to Maine next week. The guy installing it was completely in awe at my truck's shifter. He honestly couldn't believe a youngin' like me knew how to drive a 3-on-the-tree, or that there were even any left on the road. He started telling me stories about how he learned to drive with a column shift, then he veered off into this story about putting tractor brakes on old VW vans. He said they hooked up individual brake controls for each side, so it would turn on a dime, kind of like a tank. Crazienss! :confused:

That was actually standard issue on VWs.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 23, 2007, 10:34:20 PM
That was actually standard issue on VWs.

Why on Earth would that be standard equipment? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2007, 10:35:26 PM
Why on Earth would that be standard equipment? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Think of it as a poor man's LSD- when you start getting wheel slip, you just tug on that side's brake handle until it stops. Sandrails and Dune Buggies commonly have larger, hydraulic actuated handles to make this easier.

Eye of the Tiger

Hey, the truck is for sale now. I don't need it anymore, plus now I have an Esteem to get me around, and I want a motorcycle. It can be yours for just 30 easy payments of $39.95. Buy wait, if you call now, I'll make your first payment for you, and that's not all... If you call within the next 3 minutes, I'll throw in a riced-out lawn mower, absolutely free! But that's not all, if you pay with your credit card, I'll take an entire 10 payments off!... That's right, this beautiful antique truck can be yours for only 20 easy payments of $39.95! But hold on, if you're reading this, you're probably a member of CarSPIN, which makes you eligible for a free moped! Operators are standing by, so call now!? :mrcool:
[size=05pt]All payments are due at the same time. Many restrictions apply. Must be 18 years or older to call. Deliquncy of payments is punishible by death under Florida law. Offer not available in Puerto Rico, Alaska, or any country who's name ends with "stan".[/size]

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2007, 10:33:56 PM
I doubt he's ever seen one.

On the contrary my friend, the first car I ever drove was a 1995 Premier Padmini with 4 on the tree.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on March 11, 2007, 04:17:20 PM
Hey, the truck is for sale now. I don't need it anymore, plus now I have an Esteem to get me around, and I want a motorcycle. It can be yours for just 30 easy payments of $39.95. Buy wait, if you call now, I'll make your first payment for you, and that's not all... If you call within the next 3 minutes, I'll throw in a riced-out lawn mower, absolutely free! But that's not all, if you pay with your credit card, I'll take an entire 10 payments off!... That's right, this beautiful antique truck can be yours for only 20 easy payments of $39.95! But hold on, if you're reading this, you're probably a member of CarSPIN, which makes you eligible for a free moped! Operators are standing by, so call now!? :mrcool:
[size=05pt]All payments are due at the same time. Many restrictions apply. Must be 18 years or older to call. Deliquncy of payments is punishible by death under Florida law. Offer not available in Puerto Rico, Alaska, or any country who's name ends with "stan".[/size]

Woe, you're selling the truck for $800?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 11, 2007, 05:32:45 PM
Woe, you're selling the truck for $800?

Yeah I was, but the special offer has ended  :lol: 
I actually have it up for $1200, which is still a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on March 11, 2007, 07:22:00 PM
Yeah I was, but the special offer has ended? :lol:?
I actually have it up for $1200, which is still a good deal.

Hypothetically, if someone was willing to drive to Maine from Michigan to pick up said vehicle, could the $800 special be reinstated?

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

It's not worth much more than 800 my friend. :P If Soupie wants it...it'd go to a good home.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 14, 2007, 08:07:49 PM
It's not worth much more than 800 my friend. :P If Soupie wants it...it'd go to a good home.

The engine alone is worth more than $800.  :rolleyes:

TheIntrepid

:confused:

:mask:

How about a CarSPIN discount for Soupie then? :P

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

Eye of the Tiger

Hey, it's not like I'm in a bind and I have to sell it. I just don't need it and I dont' have anywhere to keep it.

TheIntrepid

:cheers:

Have you tried eBay with an $800 reserve?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 14, 2007, 08:55:31 PM
:cheers:

Have you tried eBay with an $800 reserve?

Ok... I bought it off ebay for $850, then I put almost $1500 into it. What kind of sense does that make?  :nono:

TheIntrepid