Interesting Police Vehicle Choice...

Started by TurboDan, June 09, 2005, 05:21:01 PM

Catman

QuoteWhat cars does your PD use now, Cat?  Crown Vics?
Yeah here's mine.

TBR

QuoteWhat cars does your PD use now, Cat?  Crown Vics?
Yeah here's mine.

I would say, "nice" but it looks like every other cop Crown Vic I have seen.  

giant_mtb

QuoteWhat cars does your PD use now, Cat?  Crown Vics?
Yeah here's mine.

I would say, "nice" but it looks like every other cop Crown Vic I have seen.
I was thinking the same thing.

But...it's still nice anyways.  :praise:

Is it fast?  :o  

Catman

I wouldn't say it's "fast".  It has plenty of power for what we do.  But, it's not any faster than most cars.  It tops out just shy of 130.  Remember though police cars are spec'd more for durability than speed.  The CV is actually a good police car especially considering their price which comes in around $22-23K.  Add equipment and that goes up significantly but most of that lasts through 3-4 cars.

giant_mtb

I saw one cop here in a CV one time...he had the gas floored and was driving as if he was a race car driver.  And he didn't have his lights or sirens on.  He like thought he was racing or something... <_<  :P   And I said to my brother (we were in the MC Z34) that we should go race him... :lol:   We probably could've taken him.  :praise:  

Raza

I've had three of those pull me over!  Two were unmarked, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

In Syria they use '70s Peugeot 405s. Meaning we never stop.

However, there are a few Opel Omega Wagons in every city, and those can catch just about anything over there.

Our local PD uses Crown Vics and a few Expeditions. I like the Crown Vics, but I still don't know why the Burr Ridge PD needs Expeditions. Ridiculous. A lot of PDs around here use Impalas, too. I've also spotted an undercover Camaro on I-294.

giant_mtb

The locals use Impala's and Expeditions.  (I think we have 2 Impala's and 1 Exp) And the staties use CV's, Impalas, and Expeditions.  Oh and they have an Excursion for the K-9 unit.  :blink:  :P  

TBR

Our PD has 9-10 CVs and an Explorer for the K9 unit.  

R33 GT-R

Hey why are you on the wrong side of the car?

What do you have under the hood of that thing?

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

R33 GT-R

If our local boys had these I would definitely be up for putting my criminal justice degree to work.

R33 GT-R

giant_mtb

280Z Turbo

:lol: Here are my favorite cop cars:

Fairlady Zs used by the Tokyo Municapal Police Department. :praise:  

Secret Chimp

Since we're already off-topic...

Yeeeeehaw!

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

The Bartender

Catman made a point about "all the gear", and that's something that people sometimes fail to realize.  One of the main reasons police departments in the US still use the larger cars is the gear they carry.  Most police organizations in the US and Canada still have their highway patrol units charged with large areas of mostly unoccupied territory, so unlike many European and Japanese police units, they need to carry a lot of gear.  Plus, while I'm certain there are "bad" roads in Europe or Japan, many rural US & Canadian police units still have to patrol dirt roads, gravel roads and rougher terrain.  Most of these units will have 4x4's, but even the basic cruisers still need to be able to take some punishment, thus the use of big, heavy, full frame vehicles.  

In contrast, more and more of the urban US police units are switching to smaller vehicles, due to lowered need for hauling capacity, less need for high speed pursuit and increased need for fuel economy.  My local town police use Impalas, along with a few Cherokees for winter driving.  (Don't know what they will replace the Cherokees with.)

I fully expect Dodge to get back into the police cruiser market with the Charger, as signs have already been seen of this move.  The Magnum would work well, also, given the gear requirements I mentioned.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29

giant_mtb

One time we had to help a CV get out of our driveway because it couldn't go up the hill.  She said that ever since they replaced the old radios with the newer small ones, they don't have a big receiver thing in the back so she doesn't get any traction!  :P  

TBR

QuoteOne time we had to help a CV get out of our driveway because it couldn't go up the hill.  She said that ever since they replaced the old radios with the newer small ones, they don't have a big receiver thing in the back so she doesn't get any traction!  :P
I would think they would have enough weight back there to get good traction regardless of the radio. If not, they should just throw some sand bags in the trunk during winter.  

Catman

QuoteOne time we had to help a CV get out of our driveway because it couldn't go up the hill.  She said that ever since they replaced the old radios with the newer small ones, they don't have a big receiver thing in the back so she doesn't get any traction!  :P
I would think they would have enough weight back there to get good traction regardless of the radio. If not, they should just throw some sand bags in the trunk during winter.
CV's are terrible in the snow.  Even with a couple sand bags in the trunk, which I use, it's not good.  During storms I use the Explorer which is very uncomfortable.  Most people don't realize how tight even a good sized vehicle can be with a gun belt on.  With the gun on one hip and a radio on the other you're adding 4-6 inches in width to your body.  

BTW, I noticed that the Charger is only about 100 lbs lighter than the CV.  I was expecting it to be a little lighter than that.

Run Away

Do you get winter tires for the snow?

TBR

QuoteOne time we had to help a CV get out of our driveway because it couldn't go up the hill.  She said that ever since they replaced the old radios with the newer small ones, they don't have a big receiver thing in the back so she doesn't get any traction!  :P
CV's are terrible in the snow.  Even with a couple sand bags in the trunk, which I use, it's not good.  During storms I use the Explorer which is very uncomfortable.  Most people don't realize how tight even a good sized vehicle can be with a gun belt on.  With the gun on one hip and a radio on the other you're adding 4-6 inches in width to your body.  

BTW, I noticed that the Charger is only about 100 lbs lighter than the CV.  I was expecting it to be a little lighter than that.
Is the CV a body on frame vehicle or an unibody?  

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteI think it's body on frame.
That is what I was thinking, it is just amazing that such a car is still be produced considering how outdated it is.  

Catman

Yeah, we have snow tires but they're crapy Goodyears, the only snow tires on the state bid.  Blizzaks would be a hell of alot better.

TBR, the reason the CVis stil made is because Ford sells enough of them to remain profitable.  The design is so old it cost them peanuts to build!  But you knew that. ;)