Interesting Police Vehicle Choice...

Started by TurboDan, June 09, 2005, 05:21:01 PM

Raza

QuoteI think it's body on frame.
That is what I was thinking, it is just amazing that such a car is still be produced considering how outdated it is.
Well, it can't be much older than the last Mustang was before it died.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

QuoteI think it's body on frame.
That is what I was thinking, it is just amazing that such a car is still be produced considering how outdated it is.
Well, it can't be much older than the last Mustang was before it died.
It isn't.

thewizard16

I think that one would be the most fun. Our local department has two of those, a firebird, a new unmarked Impala which I don't like because I'm not used to looking for it, two new Expeditions, a new Explorer, a Jeep Cherokee, two police speedboats (I don't know boats, so sorry, no names for them) two Wave Runners, and a river boat, and a few horses (unmarked, would you believe it?) to name the non-standard police cars. Over here, I've noticed the E-Class station wagon is a popular choice for the Polizei.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

The Bartender

QuoteYeah, we have snow tires but they're crapy Goodyears, the only snow tires on the state bid.  Blizzaks would be a hell of alot better.

TBR, the reason the CVis stil made is because Ford sells enough of them to remain profitable.  The design is so old it cost them peanuts to build!  But you knew that. ;)
Most Highway patrol units wil switch to snow tires of some form during the winter (well, depending on the department.  FLA or southern CA obviously have less need than Montana or the Canadians.)  But even these aren't normally true "snow" tires, but mud & snow rated radials.  Very few manufacturers make true snow tires any more.  Some regions with heavy snow fall expectations can still use studded tires, but this is rare, as they chew up the road surface.

The CV is a full frame platform that also underlies the Gran Marquis and Town Car (modified).  Factor in that most police cars in Canada & the US are CV's, and even the Mexicans use some, plus the large number of CV's in taxi fleets, and it's VERY cost effective for Ford to build the car.  It is an old platform, although it has been updated numerous times.   But it serves the purpose.  Uni body vehicles would be hard pressed (pun sort of intended) to hold up as well as the full frame CV and still keep running.  I've seen CV's (and Caprices) used to ram vehicles multiple times and have little more than cosmetic sheet metal damage.  Plus, there's that carrying capacity issue.  Full frame vehicles can generally haul more weight, and most police cars, as noted, carry a lot of equipment.

For all it is an old platform, the CV fulfills it's purpose very well.  It could be re-designed, but that would destroy the cost effectiveness of the vehicle, and the price is a factor for the various police, fire and tax organizations.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29

TBR

I doubt the cops uses snow tires down here in TX.  

giant_mtb

QuoteI doubt the cops uses snow tires down here in TX.
:lol:  

TBR

Actually, in parts of Texas they probably do (Amarillo), but not in the part of TX I live in.

R33 GT-R

It seems like every time I go through Amarillo it's snowing.  I almost ran over a gas pump the last time I went through.  

Learn how to drive Texans.

giant_mtb

Actually, in parts of Texas they probably do (Amarillo), but not in the part of TX I live in.
Do they have snow there?  :blink:  

TBR

Yep, a lot too apparantly (I have never been there during the winter).  

giant_mtb

Is it in the mountains or somethin?

TBR

No, it is just in the Panhandle (very northern part of TX).  

giant_mtb

Ahh...that makes sense then.

R33 GT-R

After you leave Amarillo you start going uphill to Raton Pass New Mexico, from there into Coloradao Springs and on to Denver.  I love that drive.

slakin

What are the weirdest cop cars you have ever seen? I have seen a Saturn sedan and a two door Alero..........both with light bars :o  

Catman

QuoteWhat are the weirdest cop cars you have ever seen? I have seen a Saturn sedan and a two door Alero..........both with light bars :o
Hey Slakin, wlecome to CarSPIN!  Most of the weird police vehicles are seized vehicles that are used for police use.  I saw a magazine recently that featured a new GTO that a department bought for traffic enforcement.  

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

its farther north they you think

i know it sounds weird but yes it does snow in texas... i live in the southern part so not only is it hot but snow is rarer than a blue moon down here....although we did have a few flakes fall christmas eve...they melted as soon as the hit the ground...it was enough to wonder if the roads were gonna freeze...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

i know it sounds weird but yes it does snow in texas... i live in the southern part so not only is it hot but snow is rarer than a blue moon down here....although we did have a few flakes fall christmas eve...they melted as soon as the hit the ground...it was enough to wonder if the roads were gonna freeze...
Oh no!  You southern Texans would of had to (OH MY GOSH) drive in a millimeter of snow!  :o  :o  :P   Everybody would be like sliding all over the place.  :rolleyes:  "how do we drive in this stuff now?"  :lol:  (I'm just jokin' with you)

TBR

We have gotten a couple of inches a couple of times and my parents don't like to drive in it simply because no one else knows how to (however, they do, as we used to live in Idaho).  

giant_mtb

Yeah...it's very funny when you see out-of-state cars up here trying to drive in the snow and on the icy roads.  It's very comical, until they cause an accident, of course.  Most of them slide through the intersections because they don't know that ice offers close to 0 traction and they need to make their braking distances at least 50% longer.  :rolleyes: Duh.  Then it's funny watching them sit there and spin their tires trying to start moving...uhh...let off the gas, it might help.  :P  

SargeMonkey

Around here they use a beater toyota and drop in a 350 and a good tranny, its stealthy.  :ph34r:  They are so freaking hard to see but you can here them they run glasspacks.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TurboDan

Cab drivers here are the worst in the snow.

Snow+ RWD CV + driver from Pakistan = trouble.  :o  :lol:  

Fire It Up

QuoteCab drivers here are the worst in the snow.

Snow+ RWD CV + driver from Pakistan = trouble.  :o  :lol:
lol

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Tom

QuoteAround here they use a beater toyota and drop in a 350 and a good tranny, its stealthy.  :ph34r:  They are so freaking hard to see but you can here them they run glasspacks.
Are you serious?

R33 GT-R

He has got to be kidding unless he's in Bay St Louis, Mississippi.  I think I've seen one there before, or was it a 280Z with a Boss 302.

Minpin

TBR whereabouts in TX are you, i personally am in Houston.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Fire It Up

Remember people, this is the ultimate cop car:

and one of these...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

QuoteTBR whereabouts in TX are you, i personally am in Houston.
East Texas