The troubleshooting game.

Started by VTEC_Inside, February 02, 2007, 11:17:06 AM

JWC

I'm resurrecting this thread...for the following reason:

Customer calls and says their new Explorer won't start, it won't even crank.  Warning lights come on when they turn the key, but nothing else happens.  Also, the key is stuck in the ignition. 

Since no wrecker driver was available and the customer was stuck at a elementary school, I decided to drive down to the school and see what I could do.  Half way there, it occurred me what the problem was.

Any guesses as to what the problem was and how I repaired it?

VTEC_Inside

Car wasn't in Park or Neutral?

You gave the driver a smack up side the head and said smarten up?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raghavan

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on April 17, 2007, 09:23:51 PM

My guess as well.
Our Accord does that though. Key gets stuck in the ignition. You have to wiggle the gear selector a couple of times before you can get the key out.

JWC

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on April 17, 2007, 09:23:51 PM

Give the guy a cookie.

When I arrived, she started in about it being a new car etc.  I know her pretty well, so I sat in the driver's seat, saw the indicator was on "D" and said...lesson one...always move this thing here (pointing at lever) to the "park" position when you get out.  I shifted it into park and started it up.  She said, "oh my god, don't tell my husband".

AutobahnSHO

HAHHAHA
I did that once- I was leaving town in my dad's Taurus wagon and stopped because the weather was bad and I had to wipe the foot of snow off all the side windows.  It wouldnt start so I called my dad and he drove the 10miles to come help and I figured it out right before he got there...

(And don't tell anyone but this is easy to do in Humvees too- happens all the time, including to me...)
Will

S204STi

Same thing happened last week in my wife's Focus, but the solution was not as quick and easy...any guesses? ;)

omicron

VTEC_Inside

heelntoe

Quote from: R-inge on April 18, 2007, 11:42:22 AM
Same thing happened last week in my wife's Focus, but the solution was not as quick and easy...any guesses? ;)
shifter broke while putting it into park?
@heelntoe

S204STi

:lol:

It wasn't as catastrophic, but it did require the use of a hammer.

JWC

Most of the Focus problems I see are stuck ignition lock cylinders.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on April 18, 2007, 03:30:32 PM
Most of the Focus problems I see are stuck ignition lock cylinders.

You got it. :ohyeah:

heelntoe

Quote from: R-inge on April 18, 2007, 10:19:29 PM
You got it. :ohyeah:
not fair, he works(used to?)  for a ford dealer. :lol:
@heelntoe

JWC

Works for a Ford dealer...but still only a guess. 

S204STi

I new what it was right away, but when I was looking for instructions oh how-to on NoData, I found that Ford actually has a service bulletin on the subject...and, you guessed it, they recommend a new lock cylinder.

I'm good. :praise:

heelntoe

okay, here's something.
vehicle: 135cc scooter
problem: starter keeps cranking even when the key is in the off position. i had the starter relay replaced but it still comes back.
@heelntoe

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: heelntoe on April 19, 2007, 10:44:24 AM
okay, here's something.
vehicle: 135cc scooter
problem: starter keeps cranking even when the key is in the off position. i had the starter relay replaced but it still comes back.

The ignition switch is grounding out??
Will

S204STi

JWC

VTEC_Inside

heelntoe

it's not the solenoid. i had the starter removed and cleaned of all the carbon deposits and such. it might be the switch though, as it is, the switch only works if i hold it in a certain position. thanks guys.
@heelntoe

JWC

Here is one from today:

2002 F150  AM/FM CD/Casette combo
Fender mount antenna
Used trade-in

Tech comes up and says that the radio will not seek stations...with the seek function it can only find and hold two.  If he maually runs through the stations,  the radio appears to work and receive signals just fine.

Guess as to the cause?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: JWC on April 20, 2007, 08:33:45 PM
Here is one from today:

2002 F150? AM/FM CD/Casette combo
Fender mount antenna
Used trade-in

Tech comes up and says that the radio will not seek stations...with the seek function it can only find and hold two.? If he maually runs through the stations,? the radio appears to work and receive signals just fine.

Guess as to the cause?

GUESSES ONLY:

-You're not getting good enough signal for the radio to lock on.  Good enough to listen to the stations, but not strong enough for the "seek" to find them.
SO
-check antenna isn't broken inside (take it off, check continuity??)
-check that all is plugged in ok, that antenna wiring isn't busted

-or replace head unit, check if it works then.
Will

JWC

Well, you covered all the bases, there. 

Tech's diagnosis, because it received stations OK, but just didn't scan was the head unit.  Ordering a replacement was 600.00 from Ford.

My suggestion, check the antenna coax and make sure it was plugged in completely.  Reasoning behind that thought was that it was a trade-in and may not have had the factory radio at one time.

The verdict...

The coax cable had been pulled loose under the dash.  There was enough of a lead for the radio to receive stations, but on seek, wasn't picking up enough of the signal to stop for the seek function to hold a station.

Raza

Okay, try this:

Starter button:
One prod and the engine kicks and then dies.  The engine then starts on the second prod.  Was the button just not pressed hard enough, or is there a problem with the starter button?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

i thought you were supposed to hold the button like you hold the key.
@heelntoe

JWC

Quote from: heelntoe on April 21, 2007, 10:30:28 AM
i thought you were supposed to hold the button like you hold the key.

Generally you do.  Crank sensors have to pick up the signal before the engine can start.

This is why I asked what kind of car.  Hitting the button once may not be enough time for engine sensors to register to the pcm and allow it to start.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: JWC on April 21, 2007, 09:35:31 AM
Well, you covered all the bases, there.?

Tech's diagnosis, because it received stations OK, but just didn't scan was the head unit.? Ordering a replacement was 600.00 from Ford.

My suggestion, check the antenna coax and make sure it was plugged in completely.? Reasoning behind that thought was that it was a trade-in and may not have had the factory radio at one time.

The verdict...

The coax cable had been pulled loose under the dash.? There was enough of a lead for the radio to receive stations, but on seek, wasn't picking up enough of the signal to stop for the seek function to hold a station.
LOL
It had to be SOMETHING.  ;)

I was still in training at Fort Gordon in 2001 when we (and the instructors!) spent HOURS trying to figure out why we could't get a radio link to work.  40watt radios, about 100yards apart.  Basically we could point the dishes (look like large directtv dishes) AWAY from each other and we should have been able to lock up the modems, but  :huh:

I was just sitting outside to get a break and was staring at one of the dishes, I followed the cable down and realized it wasn't plugged in to the radio...  :banghead:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oftentimes radios can get a partial signal even if things aren't connected all the way-
Will