The troubleshooting game.

Started by VTEC_Inside, February 02, 2007, 11:17:06 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on February 10, 2007, 06:49:27 PM
My point basically is please don't group all dealerships in the "Stealership" bracket like I myself used to do before I worked for two of them.
For every one like yours there are 20 that aren't.  :(
Sometimes they aren't out to steal but just aren't proficient at troubleshooting.  Unfortunately that comes with experience and I'm sure turnover is pretty high some places...
Will

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on February 10, 2007, 06:50:50 PM
Manual transmission or auto?

Manual.

EDIT:  Looks like Adam already got to this.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on February 11, 2007, 06:24:24 PM

It's a manual transmission.

Could be the pilot bushing in the front of the transmission. 

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on February 11, 2007, 08:02:11 PM
Could be the pilot bushing in the front of the transmission. 

Is this possible; because this noise goes away when the vehicle is warmed up, and makes said noise regardless of being in motion or not?  It makes it even if the clutch is in or out, and if the car is in neutral as well.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on February 11, 2007, 08:40:42 PM

Is this possible; because this noise goes away when the vehicle is warmed up, and makes said noise regardless of being in motion or not?? It makes it even if the clutch is in or out, and if the car is in neutral as well.

Oh, then it is less likely the pilot bushing.

sparkplug

Got one for you:

Thursday, my father's F-150 4X4 SuperCrew 5.4 V8 suddenly lost most of it's braking power. It would barely stop. Smoke come into the driver side. What happened?

Bogus Question: What was dad drinking?

Raghavan

Brake booster asploded, loosing all the vacuum so it lost all the stopping power? :huh:

sparkplug

Quote from: Raghavan on February 12, 2007, 09:18:11 PM
Brake booster asploded, loosing all the vacuum so it lost all the stopping power? :huh:

Close, very close, very very very very very very close. I'll tell you anyway since you're so close. Evidently the vacuum hose came off due to the truck backfiring. For winning you get an expense paid trip to.. Second thought I'll just say good job. Congratulations, your pretty smart.

Raghavan

Quote from: sparkplug on February 12, 2007, 09:28:10 PM
Close, very close, very very very very very very close. I'll tell you anyway since you're so close. Evidently the vacuum hose came off due to the truck backfiring. For winning you get an expense paid trip to.. Second thought I'll just say good job. Congratulations, your pretty smart.
:praise:
What did your dad think it was?

sparkplug

Quote from: Raghavan on February 12, 2007, 11:10:36 PM
:praise:
What did your dad think it was?

A fuse or something like that. He saw some smoke so he thought it was electrical. But he didn't realize the vacuum hose popped off.

S204STi

Here is a fun one.

2004 Cadillac SRX.  Performed four wheel brake job, and after lowering vehicle to the ground had a no-crank/no-start condition.  Stereo and power windows all work fine, key is stuck in ignition and  theft deterrent light is illuminated.

The Pirate

Brake line fitting not tight after bleeding?

Raghavan

Quote from: The Pirate on February 14, 2007, 08:32:09 PM
Brake line fitting not tight after bleeding?
How would that affect it not starting?

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on February 14, 2007, 08:41:56 PM
How would that affect it not starting?

I don't know how, but I was doing a brake job on a buddy's truck, and it wouldn't start until the fittings were tightened.

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on February 14, 2007, 09:00:32 PM

I don't know how, but I was doing a brake job on a buddy's truck, and it wouldn't start until the fittings were tightened.

Really?  Wow.

Keep trying, I will post answer tomorrow.

Raza

My guess is that something is wrong.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Pancor

Quote from: R-inge on February 14, 2007, 07:23:42 PM
Here is a fun one.

2004 Cadillac SRX.? Performed four wheel brake job, and after lowering vehicle to the ground had a no-crank/no-start condition.? Stereo and power windows all work fine, key is stuck in ignition and? theft deterrent light is illuminated.

Immobilization system?

Pancor

Quote from: The Pirate on February 14, 2007, 09:00:32 PM

For some reason I don't believe that.  What kind of truck?

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 14, 2007, 07:23:42 PM
Here is a fun one.

2004 Cadillac SRX.? Performed four wheel brake job, and after lowering vehicle to the ground had a no-crank/no-start condition.? Stereo and power windows all work fine, key is stuck in ignition and? theft deterrent light is illuminated.

In muscleing the rotors and tires on and off the front, my guess is that the steering column become locked.

I've had a similar condition in a Tacoma. You can tug on the steering wheel a bit and it's in free play. A little too much and the steering wheel locks, and the key is stuck (can't remove if it was on ACC, and won't start the car). Only by massively reefing the steering wheel left or right while jiggling the key will the steering wheel release.

S204STi

Quote from: Pancor on February 15, 2007, 08:33:54 AM
Immobilization system?

You are very close.

The ignition switch randomly crapped the bed while I had the vehicle.  Seems to be a common issue because the local Caddy dealer had multiple switches in stock.  The vehicle thought that it was being robbed, so it wouldn't do anything.

GoCougs

Here's another.

1980s Dodge Ramcharger (again). 318 2bbl V8. 727 AT. 140,000 miles.

Installed Edelbrock Performer cam/lifters/valve springs and 1-5/8" headers.

Much to my dismay, the vehicle was more gutless than with the stock cam, and would top out at about 75 mph.

Ignition, fuel system, and vacuum tested out okay.

The Pirate

Quote from: Pancor on February 15, 2007, 08:34:34 AM
For some reason I don't believe that.  What kind of truck?

It was a '98 Dodge Dakota.  I have no explanation for why this happened, but with the brake lines unattached, and bleeder valves out, it wouldn't start.

Next day, when everything was back together, it did start.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on February 15, 2007, 09:09:37 AM
Here's another.

1980s Dodge Ramcharger (again). 318 2bbl V8. 727 AT. 140,000 miles.

Installed Edelbrock Performer cam/lifters/valve springs and 1-5/8" headers.

Much to my dismay, the vehicle was more gutless than with the stock cam, and would top out at about 75 mph.

Ignition, fuel system, and vacuum tested out okay.

Fail to degree the cam properly?

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 15, 2007, 02:50:14 PM
Fail to degree the cam properly?

Actually, no. This was bit of a trick question.

Nothing was wrong with the parts or the installation, it was the wrong application for this camshaft. By the time it was coming into its powerband, there simply wasn't enough airflow from the stock 2bbl carb and 2bbl heads to feed it.

A couple of months later I bolted on an Edelbrock 4bbl carb, Performer 4bbl manifold, 360 swirl port (fuel injection) heads, electic fans and MSD ignition. That fixed it.

S204STi

Cool.  I wish I knew more about that stuff.

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 15, 2007, 03:08:55 PM
Cool.? I wish I knew more about that stuff.

I really don't know that much, but what I do know, cost a bundle of time and money to attain.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2007, 10:43:08 AM
I really don't know that much, but what I do know, cost a bundle of time and money to attain.

hehe, yeah I follow your meaning. :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: R-inge on February 16, 2007, 06:37:22 PM
hehe, yeah I follow your meaning. :lol:

I was really into it for a time, and then it became all-consuming as I was working on my daily drivers. Once I entered the working world, it was just too stressful. Sometimes I'd get into something, not quite know what I was doing, and then it'd all too often it'd be 9pm, the car wasn't running, and I had to be up at 6am the next morning to go to work.

I'm now the polar opposite in that I don't even change my own oil or wash my car; there's a touch-less car wash right next to the lube shop.