The Sweet Escape

Started by TurboDan, February 03, 2007, 11:04:10 PM

TurboDan

No, it's not the new Gwen Stefani song...  it's slipping through the claws of "the fuzz" and escaping what could have been an unpleasant ticket.

Last night, I was driving home on Route 1-9 Express, a road that has little traffic, no exits for miles at a time, and a grossly low 55MPH speed limit.  Now, given the circumstances of an empty highway and an urge to get home as fast as I can - who possibly can limit themselves to a tawdry 55MPH?  Not I.

As I cruised along at a calm, but quick 85MPH on the express roadway, I was suddenly freaked out by a bright white light appearing in my passenger window.  I slowed down, looked over, and there was a police car checking me out from the local lanes, no doubt salivating over the prey he had just spotted breaking the speed limit by a juicy 30MPH.  Of course, I was safely separated from him by a beautiful concrete divider.  I knew he couldn't get to me with that divider, so I pulled off the next exit from the express lanes (not accessible from the local lanes) and took a five minute detour to the NJ Turnpike, where I continued on my journey home.

I felt quite good about my luck for the rest of the evening. 

Anyone else "escape" a ticket in such a manner?

JYODER240

Last summer I just bought my books for the semester and was running late for work. I was going down the highway, on which construction seemingly never ends. I was in the left lane and about 5 cars or so ahead was a big black F-250 doing 50mph. There were 2 semi's to my right doing the same speed so I was boxed in. An exit was approaching and both semi's got into the exit lane. I downshifted to 5th and went to pass the cars in front of me. I was approacing another semi so I dropped it down another gear. At about 85mph I cut between the semi in fornt of me and the F250 that was holding up traffic. I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw in big letters across the front of the truck: Stark County Sherrif. Not only did I cut off a cop but I did so in a construction zone over a solid white line. I thought I was done for. I slowed down and got behind the semi and the sherrif got behind me. I could see him behind me on the radio, most likely running my plates. He followed me for a few miles and I was just waiting for him to pull me over. He just stayed right behind me even as I changed lanes a few times. I got off on my exit and figured he was waiting to get off of the busy highway to pull me over. I turned left at the light and he followed but then he immediatly got back on the highway. I couldn't figure out why he didn't bust me. Heck, I would have pulled myself over for that one. I then realized that I had cut him off about 100yards into Summit County, hence out of his jurisdiction.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ro51092

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 03, 2007, 11:20:34 PM
Last summer I just bought my books for the semester and was running late for work. I was going down the highway, on which construction seemingly never ends. I was in the left lane and about 5 cars or so ahead was a big black F-250 doing 50mph. There were 2 semi's to my right doing the same speed so I was boxed in. An exit was approaching and both semi's got into the exit lane. I downshifted to 5th and went to pass the cars in front of me. I was approacing another semi so I dropped it down another gear. At about 85mph I cut between the semi in fornt of me and the F250 that was holding up traffic. I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw in big letters across the front of the truck: Stark County Sherrif. Not only did I cut off a cop but I did so in a construction zone over a solid white line. I thought I was done for. I slowed down and got behind the semi and the sherrif got behind me. I could see him behind me on the radio, most likely running my plates. He followed me for a few miles and I was just waiting for him to pull me over. He just stayed right behind me even as I changed lanes a few times. I got off on my exit and figured he was waiting to get off of the busy highway to pull me over. I turned left at the light and he followed but then he immediatly got back on the highway. I couldn't figure out why he didn't bust me. Heck, I would have pulled myself over for that one. I then realized that I had cut him off about 100yards into Summit County, hence out of his jurisdiction.

It always feels better that you JUST missed the ticket.

dazzleman

I've had a few of these incidents.? There are two I can think of right now.? I also had a great missed opportunity that I'll describe.

Some quick thinking and the luck of being on a curvy road saved me from what probably would have been my first speeding ticket.? I was driving on the Bronx River Parkway just north of the Westchester County Center.? It's a narrow, curvy road that is a semi-parkway, in that it has some overpasses/exits but also some traffic lights that intersect the parkway.? The speed limit is 40 mph and I was going about 55 mph.? On this part of the road, there was a small service road to the right of the parkway, and as I drove by at 15 mph over the speed limit, I suddenly saw a Westchester County Police car on the service road.? Immediately after I passed him, he put his car in gear and started to come after me.? Shortly after I realized he was after me, there was a curve, at which we lost sight of each other temporarily.? Immediately after that curve there was a traffic light.? I made a quick decision to hang a left at the traffic light, and got off the parkway.? I drove around for a little while randomly in the residential area off the parkway until I thought that enough time had elapsed, and got back on the highway further up.? Thwarting that likely ticket was a great feeling.

More recently, I was driving down I-91 in Connecticut just north of Hartford on a Sunday morning.? It was a wide open road with no traffic, and this was just before they had raised the speed limit from 55 mph to 65 mph.? I was cruising along at 80-85 mph when suddenly a state trooper got on the highway at an entrance I had just passed.? Of course, with the LEO behind me, I couldn't nail the brakes, and he obviously had me if he wanted to.? I took my foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down naturally to about 60 mph.? He got off at the next exit without ever attempting to pull me over.? I really got lucky on that one.? Apparently, the trooper had something else to do, and didn't want to waste his time with a lowly speeder like me.

When I got my last ticket, I could have made an escape, but I didn't realize until it was too late that I was about to be pulled over.? I was driving down Route 1 in the Southport section of the town I live in.? It was about 8PM and traffic was light.? That's a commercial road, and because it was the eve of a holiday, the stores were closed.? There's also a section of the road that opens up into a semi-highway, where there's no development for a short stretch.? The speed limit is 35 mph, and I was doing in the low 50s.? I blew by a cop with lidar and apparently didn't even see him, so I had no idea that he was already on his way to pull me over.? I passed an entrance to I-95 during this stretch, and had I known I was about to get nailed, I could have gotten on the highway and blended into traffic, and he probably wouldn't have been able to get me.? But I keep racing along, dumb and happy, thinking about what a great drive I was having and marveling at my luck in catching all the green lights, not knowing that Johnny Law was about to drop the hammer on me.? About a mile down from where I had been clocked, I saw a police car with flashing lights racing up behind me.? Since I hadn't seen him when I passed him, I didn't think he was after me, so I pulled over the side to let him pass and go on to his emergency.? I quickly learned that I was the emergency... :lol:? He kept me sitting there for about 15 minutes while he wrote up the ticket.? It seemed like an eternity.?

There were two funny things about the whole incident, though.? First, because I crossed the town line as I pulled over, I ended up with involvement from 2 police departments.? The officer who nailed me was a Fairfield officer, and shortly after he pulled me over, another Fairfield officer pulled up behind him as backup.? Having determined that I wasn't a threat to him, he sent the other officer on his way.? A few minutes after that, a Westport officer also arrived as backup.? So it took a total of 3 police cars to pull me over.  You would have thought they caught a bank robber or something.? The next funny thing was this group of teenager that drove by from the opposite direction as I was waiting for my ticket -- they slowed down and screamed HAHAHAHAHAH at me out the window of their car.? Even under the circumstances, I had to laugh.

Having seen both sides, it's more fun to escape the ticket than it is to miss the opportunity.? But you have to make the best of it....even if you get nailed, traffic court can be highly entertaining.  :P

I hope Greg isn't too scandalized by these stories.... :P :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

You're assuming he was going to get you.  Probably not I would imagine since he was not in a position to do so.  The five extra minutes it took you probably added time to your trip anyway. :nono: 

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on February 04, 2007, 08:02:05 AM
You're assuming he was going to get you.? Probably not I would imagine since he was not in a position to do so.? The five extra minutes it took you probably added time to your trip anyway. :nono:?

Don't rain on his parade, Greg..... :lol:? The sweet escape is a great feeling, even when it's questionable.

In any case, Dan probably took his speed up a notch to make up for the time he lost eluding that cop.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ro51092

Dazzle, was that in the E39? That's a sickkk car dude.

dazzleman

Quote from: ro51092 on February 04, 2007, 10:05:09 AM
Dazzle, was that in the E39? That's a sickkk car dude.

I've never driven an E39, man.  :frown:

My last ticket was in my Nissan Maxima.  It was a while ago.  I haven't gotten busted in a long time, deserving of it though I may be.... :lol: :pullover:

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2007, 10:08:24 AM
I've never driven an E39, man. :frown:

My last ticket was in my Nissan Maxima. It was a while ago. I haven't gotten busted in a long time, deserving of it though I may be.... :lol: :pullover:

I'm not too good with BMW platforms, but I thought the E39 ended in 04 and was replaced by whatever the 05 platform is, no?? Either way, Dave's 5er is an awesome car - no matter what the numbers are.? I like Audi's system - simple, like me.? A4's are now B7.? Previously were B6, then B5, etc.? Not sure how BMW does it - random number generator? :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on February 04, 2007, 10:15:15 AM
I'm not too good with BMW platforms, but I thought the E39 ended in 04 and was replaced by whatever the 05 platform is, no?? Either way, Dave's 5er is an awesome car - no matter what the numbers are.? I like Audi's system - simple, like me.? A4's are now B7.? Previously were B6, then B5, etc.? Not sure how BMW does it - random number generator? :lol:

too bad you declined your opportunity to drive the car, Ron..... :lol:

I wish that stupid traffic (and my disinclination to drive recklessly) hadn't thwarted my attempt to race you up I-93.? Greg must have been aghast at the whole thing..... :lol:

TurboDan

You're assuming he was going to get you.  Probably not I would imagine since he was not in a position to do so.  The five extra minutes it took you probably added time to your trip anyway. :nono: 

I think he probably was planning on it, eventually.  The Express and Local roadways eventually merge into one, so he was probably keeping a lookout.  I actually had to get off and go to the NJ Turnpike anyway, but took the "B" exit since I know it doesn't connect to the local lanes as well.  (NJ driving is confusing!  Even the name of this road is because NJ-9 and US-1 come together to be called Route 1-9.   :P)

Then again, you could argue that he was looking at me with the spotlight to see if I fit the profile of a drug dealer or something, since Route 1-9 passes through some of the highest crime areas in the region. 

In any event, I just like to think I "beat the system" for once.   :lol:

L. ed foote

Had he been apprehended, it would've taken him longer. :lol:

Around here, I head for the first exit, then proceed to continue my route on surface streets as best as I can.  It as worked a few times, but I suspect that the highway patrol around here (or in general) wouldn't hide in areas where you can make a quick escape.

Unfamiliar territory, I take my lumps.
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on February 04, 2007, 10:22:10 AM

In any event, I just like to think I "beat the system" for once.? ?:lol:

Dude, you've beaten the system many times.  Every time you speed and get away with it, you're beating the system.  Think of getting away with normal speeding as a field goal, and getting away from a cop who's actually coming after you as a touchdown.

I actually do think of the whole thing as a game like football.  As long as I'm comfortably ahead in points, I don't get too upset if the opposing team puts some points on the board occasionally.  It's only sporting.... :lol:

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2007, 10:18:10 AM
too bad you declined your opportunity to drive the car, Ron..... :lol:

I wish that stupid traffic (and my disinclination to drive recklessly) hadn't thwarted my attempt to race you up I-93.  Greg must have been aghast at the whole thing..... :lol:

I'll have to get a test drive next time for sure!  And yes, sorry about dusting you off on I-93 - you had some unlucky breaks, although you did pass me like I was standing still on the Zakim Bridge.  But then the race was on, baby!  :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Quote from: L. ed foote on February 04, 2007, 10:24:01 AM
Had he been apprehended, it would've taken him longer. :lol:

Around here, I head for the first exit, then proceed to continue my route on surface streets as best as I can.? It as worked a few times, but I suspect that the highway patrol around here (or in general) wouldn't hide in areas where you can make a quick escape.

Unfamiliar territory, I take my lumps.

The most popular spot to nail speeders on I-95 near me is a long stretch of road where there are no exits.? The staties wait around a curve, and since it's about 3 miles to the next exit, it makes it easier for them to catch their prey.

On roads in lower Westchester like the Hutch, it seems almost impossible to give out tickets.? They're so narrow, and there's no place to pull over, plus an exit every 5 feet.  The Merritt in Connecticut is like that too, though not as bad.  There are a few choice spots.

Funny thing is, for all the driving I've done on I-95, the Merritt, the Hutch, etc., I've never gotten a ticket on any of them.

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on February 04, 2007, 10:26:49 AM
I'll have to get a test drive next time for sure!? And yes, sorry about dusting you off on I-93 - you had some unlucky breaks, although you did pass me like I was standing still on the Zakim Bridge.? But then the race was on, baby!? :devil:

The best part was that you never saw it coming, man.  You thought I would just file in tamely behind you.  How little you knew.... :evildude:

That traffic pissed me off because it made it just too risky for me to continue the race.  Oh well, maybe next time.  And the offer to take the car for a test run is definitely still on.  :ohyeah:

L. ed foote

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2007, 10:27:41 AM

Funny thing is, for all the driving I've done on I-95, the Merritt, the Hutch, etc., I've never gotten a ticket on any of them.

Never gotten a ticket down here.  It's when I leave the metro NY area that I get nailed.

ro51092

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2007, 10:08:24 AM
I've never driven an E39, man.  :frown:

My last ticket was in my Nissan Maxima.  It was a while ago.  I haven't gotten busted in a long time, deserving of it though I may be.... :lol: :pullover:

I thought you traded in an E39 for an E60?

dazzleman

Quote from: ro51092 on February 04, 2007, 10:59:23 AM
I thought you traded in an E39 for an E60?

I think I'm just being ignorant here.

If the 2001 5-er was on an E39 platform, and the 2006 5-er is on an E60 platform, then that's exactly what I did.

I've never gotten a ticket in either BMW, though.  At least not yet.... :pullover:

dazzleman

Quote from: L. ed foote on February 04, 2007, 10:55:41 AM
Never gotten a ticket down here.? It's when I leave the metro NY area that I get nailed.

If you're a fish in a bull barrel and somebody comes to shoot, you're a lot less likely to be the one hit than if you're the only fish in the barrel.

I've gotten tickets in situations where I was one of the only cars on the road.  In places like lower Westchester, that rarely happens.  Plus, you know the area well, including where the cops hide out.  When you go upstate, there's less traffic, and I-90 is one of the most heavily policed highways in the country.

ro51092

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2007, 11:11:40 AM
I think I'm just being ignorant here.

If the 2001 5-er was on an E39 platform, and the 2006 5-er is on an E60 platform, then that's exactly what I did.

I've never gotten a ticket in either BMW, though.  At least not yet.... :pullover:

The '01 5er was an E39, and the '06 is an E60.

dazzleman

Quote from: ro51092 on February 04, 2007, 11:16:44 AM
The '01 5er was an E39, and the '06 is an E60.

Thanks, man.

I almost got nailed once in the E39.  I was driving up I-95 near Stafford, VA (IIRC) doing about 83 mph in a 65 mph zone.  I was leading the pack.  Suddenly, a statie came up from an embankment on the left, intent on nailing some prey.

He got onto the road a few cars behind me, and as each car moved over, he just kept going.  I thought for sure he was coming for me.  I had resigned myself mentally to getting papered again, when all of a sudden, he pulled over the car just behind me.  That was a lucky break, and probably the closest I came to getting nailed in the E39.

I haven't even had a really close call in the new car yet, despite 3 trips up to Boston.  I seem to be on a lucky streak.  I hope it continues.  :cheers:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: dazzleman on February 04, 2007, 11:20:53 AM
I haven't even had a really close call in the new car yet, despite 3 trips up to Boston.  I seem to be on a lucky streak.  I hope it continues.  :cheers:

Well cops tend to have pity on the elderly. You just might get pulled over for driving too slow.. so watch out. :P

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

dazzleman

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 04, 2007, 11:45:48 AM
Well cops tend to have pity on the elderly. You just might get pulled over for driving too slow.. so watch out. :P

:lol:
Too slow isn't a problem...YET.  That's probably why the risk of getting a speeding ticket doesn't bother me...I think of it as a young guy thing. :pullover:

saxonyron

In the late 80's, Memorial Day.  I was driving my new 87 Chevy "Eurosport" :lol: on Rt. 2 west of Boston.  I was cruising at 75 and a statie beamed me on radar going the other way.  He slammed on his brakes and made a U-turn across the median.  As I watched him bounding and slamming over the grass and curbs, I did what any responsible kid would do.  Take the next exit and pray. 

Unfortunately, the next exit was 35, a dedicated road that took you to the guarded gates at Fort Devens.  As I approached the gates, my mind was racing.  How the hell was I gonna explain to the guard that I was uhhhh.....evading a cop? :huh: To my delight, he gave a quick military wave and let me pass on through.  You see, I had forgotten that since I was working as an engineer for the Air Force, my DoD sticker from Hanscom AFB on the front bumper got me into any military base.  :ohyeah:

I watched as the cop stopped at the guardshack and faded into my rear view mirror.  My relief was short lived, as he booted it and popped the blue lights.  I pulled over and looked as innocent and surprised as possible.  Maybe because it was Memorial Day, or maybe because the cop was a little out of his element on the Army Base, but after a brief chat, he let me go with a mild verbal warning.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on February 04, 2007, 02:19:31 PM
In the late 80's, Memorial Day.? I was driving my new 87 Chevy "Eurosport" :lol: on Rt. 2 west of Boston.? I was cruising at 75 and a statie beamed me on radar going the other way.? He slammed on his brakes and made a U-turn across the median.? As I watched him bounding and slamming over the grass and curbs, I did what any responsible kid would do.? Take the next exit and pray.?

Unfortunately, the next exit was 35, a dedicated road that took you to the guarded gates at Fort Devens.? As I approached the gates, my mind was racing.? How the hell was I gonna explain to the guard that I was uhhhh.....evading a cop? :huh: To my delight, he gave a quick military wave and let me pass on through.? You see, I had forgotten that since I was working as an engineer for the Air Force, my DoD sticker from Hanscom AFB on the front bumper got me into any military base.? :ohyeah:

I watched as the cop stopped at the guardshack and faded into my rear view mirror.? My relief was short lived, as he booted it and popped the blue lights.? I pulled over and looked as innocent and surprised as possible.? Maybe because it was Memorial Day, or maybe because the cop was a little out of his element on the Army Base, but after a brief chat, he let me go with a mild verbal warning.

Wow, that DOD sticker was a lucky break, Ron.  :ohyeah:

Around that same time, a friend of mine who was in the Air Force Reserve (based out of Westover in Massachusetts) was returning home to his apartment in Danbury, CT on I-84.? ?He was doing 85 mph in what was then a 55 mph zone.? He had just moved to Danbury and hadn't switched his license, so he was still driving with a NY license.

He got pulled over on I-84 in Danbury going 30 mph over the speed limit.? The trooper asked him where he was going, and, thinking quickly, he said he was headed up to Westover and showed his Air Force reserve ID.  Since he had a New York address on his license, rather than the Connecticut address where he really lived, this seemed perfectly plausible.

The trooper was favorably disposed toward his military involvement, and cut the ticket down to 70 mph or something like that.

This was my friend's first speeding ticket, and I still remember how excited he was about getting it.? :lol:? I guess he felt like a slacker in that all the rest of us had gotten nailed 2 or 3 times by then, and he didn't want to miss out on the fun.... :pullover:

L. ed foote

In the late 80's, Memorial Day.  I was driving my new 87 Chevy "Eurosport" :lol: on Rt. 2 west of Boston.  I was cruising at 75 ...

A celebrity.  A celebrity Eurosport.  75...

I CALL BS!!!  :nono:

saxonyron

Quote from: L. ed foote on February 04, 2007, 03:31:10 PM
A celebrity. A celebrity Eurosport. 75...

I CALL BS!!! :nono:

Hey, that was a smokin' hot car for the mid-80's.  What a crappy decade for cars!  And I was on a downhill run, with a stiff tailwind.  75 was attainable.  Although I don't think I ever got that car much over 90 under any circumstances! :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

TheIntrepid

In the 80s my parents had some unusual cars... a Fiat 1100 in India, a 1985 Maruti 800 in India, the first car in North America was a Mercedes SL with torn seats, no rims/hubcaps, a torn convertible top, no stereo, and no air.... a rusty Bonneville, and finally their first brand new car, a 1989 Camry 4WD that lasted till 500,000+Km and became my first car.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

J86

In the late 80's, Memorial Day.? I was driving my new 87 Chevy "Eurosport" :lol: on Rt. 2 west of Boston.? I was cruising at 75 and a statie beamed me on radar going the other way.? He slammed on his brakes and made a U-turn across the median.? As I watched him bounding and slamming over the grass and curbs, I did what any responsible kid would do.? Take the next exit and pray.?

Unfortunately, the next exit was 35, a dedicated road that took you to the guarded gates at Fort Devens.? As I approached the gates, my mind was racing.? How the hell was I gonna explain to the guard that I was uhhhh.....evading a cop? :huh: To my delight, he gave a quick military wave and let me pass on through.? You see, I had forgotten that since I was working as an engineer for the Air Force, my DoD sticker from Hanscom AFB on the front bumper got me into any military base.? :ohyeah:

I watched as the cop stopped at the guardshack and faded into my rear view mirror.? My relief was short lived, as he booted it and popped the blue lights.? I pulled over and looked as innocent and surprised as possible.? Maybe because it was Memorial Day, or maybe because the cop was a little out of his element on the Army Base, but after a brief chat, he let me go with a mild verbal warning.

I don't have too many escape stories, only one where I know for sure he was coming after me; I usually just get screwed. :lol: