Ford Five Hundred to be called Taurus after all?

Started by ifcar, February 06, 2007, 06:25:39 AM

ifcar

JWC

I used to rent cars I was interested in for weekend test runs. 

YO

BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Atomic

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 06, 2007, 09:15:56 AM
Five Hundred is a shit name.? They could at least call it a Ford 500.? Mind you, I think both names sound kinda old fashioned, Taurus probably isn't going to appeal to many younger buyers I'm guessing.

But are people really that stupid?? The Five Hundred has been a Five Hundred for too long now, they can't just change it to Taurus and expect people to think 'oh, the new Taurus, wow!'.

I think it would be better if they wait for the next generation of models if they really are planning to change the name.

i totally agree? :ohyeah:! however, i would still retire the taurus and sable names indefinately.

gee, how about ford galaxy 500? ford fairlane 500? i like them both. as for merury, i'd stick w/ the mercury montego moniker. sable?? :cry:

ford will change the name of the freestyle, as well! read below...

CHICAGO -- Ford Motor Co. today said it will bring back the Taurus and Sable nameplates, rechristening the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans for the 2008 model year.

Ford also is renaming the Ford Freestyle crossover the Taurus X. The renamed vehicles will go on sale at the end of summer, Ford said.

But the 2008 Ford Taurus will not get a price cut to better compete against the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord sedans -- the prime competitors for the Taurus model that was discontinued in October.

So the new Ford Taurus will be lined up against larger vehicles such as the Toyota Avalon sedan. The current Ford Five Hundred has a base price of $23,785, compared with base prices of $19,090 for the Toyota Camry and $27,495 for the Toyota Avalon. All prices include shipping.

"We believe it takes more than two years of consistent marketing and literally hundreds of millions of dollars for brand awareness to reach appropriate levels," Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas and the executive in charge of the automaker's restructuring, said today at the Chicago Auto Show. "Frankly, that strategy will not work for us.

"Honestly, we never should have walked away from the tremendous equity we built in the Taurus and Sable names," Fields said.

Since joining the automaker last year, Ford CEO Alan Mulally has publicly questioned the wisdom of dropping the Taurus nameplate.

The Taurus nameplate is a Ford Motor icon. It first appeared in December 1985 as a 1986 model and fueled a sales revival at the automaker.

The Taurus reigned as the top-selling car in the United States from 1992 through 1996 but gave up that title to the Toyota Camry. Sales continued to fall in the following years. In 2006, Ford built the Taurus solely for fleets. Production ended in October.

~ Rick Kranz, February 7, 2007

by renaming the slow selling freestyle "taurus x" (dumb name, imo), fmc seems to be striving to make the "taurus" a bigger seller in the midsize "sedan" segment than it really is.

ifcar

I wonder if they'll combine Five Hundred and Freestyle sales under Taurus/Taurus X. Maybe that's what they had in mind.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on February 07, 2007, 05:04:21 PM
I wonder if they'll combine Five Hundred and Freestyle sales under Taurus/Taurus X. Maybe that's what they had in mind.

my thoughts exactly! i'd still prefer ford "500" and "500 x" over ford "taurus" and "taurus x"  :rockon:!

Payman

At least GM's turnaround involves lots of new and exciting product. Unfortunately, Ford is fucked, IMO.

Eye of the Tiger

Save for a certain Mustang, all of Ford's American market cars are junk.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

LonghornTX

Quote from: NACar on February 08, 2007, 02:16:25 AM
Eh, I think the Fusion is quite respectable as well.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on February 08, 2007, 02:16:25 AM

The Focus is a little behind the times, but it's still good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 08, 2007, 11:50:44 AM
Eh, I think the Fusion is quite respectable as well.
So is the Freestyle.  In fact it's a great car.  So good in fact, that we bought one.

thewizard16

The cars aren't really the problem so much, they've definitely improved, it's the people running the company that amaze me.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SJ_GTI

Name change aside, the 500 was always a very good, practical car. Its main issues were style and engine power.

Engine power is fixed for sure, and style is better (though still on the bland side).

Personally I think the 500 is better than the Avalon, 300 Touring, Maxima, Grand Prix (okay, not saying much this one  :lol: ), and Lucerne V6.

If I needed a car with this much space (which a lot of families do), I would take a Taurus w/ AWD in a second.

mazda6er

At least they got rid of that "everything has to begin with an 'F'" thing. I wouldn't want to drive around in a Fustang.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Vinsanity

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 08, 2007, 02:47:58 PM
Name change aside, the 500 was always a very good, practical car. Its main issues were style and engine power.

Engine power is fixed for sure, and style is better (though still on the bland side).

Personally I think the 500 is better than the Avalon, 300 Touring, Maxima, Grand Prix (okay, not saying much this one? :lol: ), and Lucerne V6.

If I needed a car with this much space (which a lot of families do), I would take a Taurus w/ AWD in a second.

just curious - in what ways do you think this car is better than the Maxima, 300, and Avalon?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 08, 2007, 03:24:53 PM
just curious - in what ways do you think this car is better than the Maxima, 300, and Avalon?

AWD, 6-speed automatic or CVT, interior space, driving dynamics, fuel economy, etc...

Other than it being a Ford, what is it you think is so bad about this car?

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 08, 2007, 03:24:53 PM

First of all, it's less expensive than any of them, and none are as roomy. It did better in crash tests than any of them. It's more comfortable than the Maxima. It handles better than the Avalon. Unlike the 300, you can see out of it.

The Five Hundred is more of a Camry/Impala competitor anyway.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 08, 2007, 03:42:56 PM
First of all, it's less expensive than any of them, and none are as roomy. It did better in crash tests than any of them. It's more comfortable than the Maxima. It handles better than the Avalon. Unlike the 300, you can see out of it.

What does the Fusion compete with?

ifcar

Camry/Accord/Altima/etc. The Camry is sized between the two, and the V6 Camry is comparable in price to the V6-only Five Hundred.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on February 08, 2007, 03:42:56 PM

meh. to me, it's like they threw a bunch of family sedan ingredients from the Avalon and Impala, and came out with a spectacularly mediocre package that's neither here nor there.

that said, (addressing SJ), I never said that I thought the Taurus 500 was a bad car. it's the perfect car for my dad :praise:

JWC

In case anyone missed it, the CVT is gone for the "new" Taurus.  Six speed auto only now.

Reading Ford's message to dealers this morning led to some confusion on my part.  It states that the all new Taurus has 500 new engineering changes.

Ok.

Does that mean that the Taurus has changed from the previous Taurus, because it is/was a 500?  Or, does it mean that there are 500 changes from the previous Taurus?  (In essence, meaning the same as the first question).  To me, it is a dumbass statement either way. 

They are making it sound as if the Five-Hundred never existed and this is a all new model from Ford.

ifcar

It shares nothing with the original Taurus now that they replaced the engine, except maybe the steering wheel. They mean the 07 Five Hundred to 08 Taurus, I'm sure.

JWC

Quote from: ifcar on February 08, 2007, 07:04:13 PM
It shares nothing with the original Taurus now that they replaced the engine, except maybe the steering wheel. They mean the 07 Five Hundred to 08 Taurus, I'm sure.

What "500" engineering changes have they made to the Five-Hundred....err....Taurus. Except to rename it.

The way it was phrased makes it misleading.

I do know that; the engine changed, the CVT was dropped, there were structural changes, exterior trim changes, I supposed they changed the rear brake pad composition since the original design was locking up, causing the rear wheels to drag. 

At the introduction, it was touted as the Taurus you loved has returned, brand new.  The press release should have read:

The Five-Hundred, that you didn't buy has returned as a product that now has some name recognition.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

the Teuton

They actually do look pretty similar.  That is funny.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Not only is that very clever, but I find myself liking it more than the 3-bar version.

omicron