Pontiac G8: Full detail and Pics (courtesy of Road and Track)

Started by SJ_GTI, February 06, 2007, 01:36:27 PM

Raghavan

Cat always has the best sig.

I want to see a red or black G8. :praise:

LonghornTX

I am really liking this car so far.  The exterior is aggressive but tight, the interior looks nice (and if it is anything like the GTOs, it actually IS nice), and the powertrain options are appealing.  Good job GM  :ohyeah:
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Eye of the Tiger

I was ready to dismiss this as another boring GM FWD sedan, but it appears they have smartened up a bit. Following Chrysler's example, RWD RWD!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Hell yes, now just make it look more like the Holden it came from. Though this certainly looks good for a Pontiac, I still hate the Pointiac-esque grille/headlight design.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VetteZ06

Man, this thing looks fantastic. I could probably do without the hood scoops, but overall it looks aggressive, refined, muscular, and handsome all at the same time. The interior looks quite nice as well.

Give me that exact car right now and I'll be a happy man. Manual transmission, 362-horsepower V-8, RWD - what more could I ask for?

mazda6er

Oh my God. I really want one. I probably say that about a lot of cars, but this is just wow. I'm not even sure why, but I just love it. The only thing that could improve it would be if it were two doors. Incredible. I'd empty out my bank account right now.  :pullover:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

MrEddy

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2007, 07:15:58 PM
Will the sedan be priced competively with the outgoing GTO (i.e. a V8 6 speed for under $35,000)?

Should definitely be cheaper if the Australian pricing is anything to go by. The 4 doors were always quite a lot (ie at least AU$10k) cheaper than the 2 door equivalents.

Raghavan

Quote from: MrEddy on February 06, 2007, 09:57:44 PM
Should definitely be cheaper if the Australian pricing is anything to go by. The 4 doors were always quite a lot (ie at least AU$10k) cheaper than the 2 door equivalents.
Yeah but the GTO was already only about $33k, so anything lower, and it wouldn't really make sense.

MrEddy

Quote from: Raghavan on February 06, 2007, 10:04:02 PM
Yeah but the GTO was already only about $33k, so anything lower, and it wouldn't really make sense.

I'd still be surprised if it was more than $30k. That's just going by comparative pricing though so you could be right. (that method is pretty unreliable)

S204STi

Looks like a home run.  Less of a gangster-styling exercise than the 300C, which I think will look pretty bland in a few years, and more agressively smooth styling.

GoCougs

The wheels look a bit busy and I'd like to hope that there's a scoop-delete option, but as a staunch critic of GM product, IMO this looks quite good.

Raghavan

Quote from: MrEddy on February 06, 2007, 10:11:20 PM
I'd still be surprised if it was more than $30k. That's just going by comparative pricing though so you could be right. (that method is pretty unreliable)
I'd expect the base 3.6L version (which i wish they offered with a manual) to be about $29k, and then the GT tops out at about $40-42k.
The 3.6 can still compete with the V6 Accord and Camry and such, and the V8 can compete with the 550i, etc, while still undercutting them by a very significant amount of money, and then the V (or whatever Pontiac calls it) would be about $50k. :praise:
Though I wish they called it the Calais here instead of the G8... Oh well.

850CSi

I fucking love this thing. Everything about it. Except for maybe the steering wheel, but that's it.

Oh, did I mention that I love this thing?

Raza

Quote from: VetteZ06 on February 06, 2007, 07:43:16 PM
Man, this thing looks fantastic. I could probably do without the hood scoops, but overall it looks aggressive, refined, muscular, and handsome all at the same time. The interior looks quite nice as well.

Give me that exact car right now and I'll be a happy man. Manual transmission, 362-horsepower V-8, RWD - what more could I ask for?

I could pass on the hood scoops as well, but that stickshift is rather racy, isn't it?  I get excited whenever I look at that booted shifter!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrEddy

Quote from: Raghavan on February 06, 2007, 10:58:10 PM
I'd expect the base 3.6L version (which i wish they offered with a manual) to be about $29k, and then the GT tops out at about $40-42k.
The 3.6 can still compete with the V6 Accord and Camry and such, and the V8 can compete with the 550i, etc, while still undercutting them by a very significant amount of money, and then the V (or whatever Pontiac calls it) would be about $50k. :praise:

I just hope you're wrong. Both for GM and Holden as well as for the car buyers over here because I'm not sure how many they would sell at over 40k.

The Commodore SS V8 over here starts at AU$45 for the manual version. That's around $35-37ish in US dollars.
The closest equivalent of the V6 version (SV6) starts at AU$40. That's about US$32.

I'll bet on a V8 price of around $30k. Maybe slightly over. And a V6 price of high 20s.

You can see that in Australia, these cars are really good value. Both Falcons and Commodores are bargains compared to pretty much all the imports.

MX793

Quote from: Raghavan on February 06, 2007, 10:58:10 PM

Lutz was talking about the starting price to be closer to $25-$26K, which is where I'd suspect the V6 model would start.  V8 would probably start at a little over $30K.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Wow, if only they sold the V6 with a manual for 25K, it would be a steal.  In any case, the V8 6 speed for 30 grand is one hell of a value.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 06, 2007, 10:42:54 PM
The wheels look a bit busy and I'd like to hope that there's a scoop-delete option, but as a staunch critic of GM product, IMO this looks quite good.

I like those wheels!  Kind of surprising since I usually favor a more simple design.

The Pontiac site claims 50/50 weight distribution! :rockon:  Seems like they picked the right music on the flash intro too. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Catman on February 07, 2007, 08:50:57 AM
I like those wheels!  Kind of surprising since I usually favor a more simple design.

The Pontiac site claims 50/50 weight distribution! :rockon:  Seems like they picked the right music on the flash intro too. :lol:

"Near" 50/50.  In any case, it seems to be better than the GTO's, though that was lighter and more powerful.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

I will be utterly shocked if they can sell the V8 version for a base MSRP of $30,000.

This is how GM has any hope of clawing its way back into the black.

We'll see if the V8 version base MSRP is that cheap, and how much it figures volume-wise into the equation.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 07, 2007, 09:03:33 AM
I will be utterly shocked if they can sell the V8 version for a base MSRP of $30,000.

This is how GM has any hope of clawing its way back into the black.

We'll see if the V8 version base MSRP is that cheap, and how much it figures volume-wise into the equation.

Dodge can manage to sell a V8 Charger for $30K and change base price, I think GM could be pretty close to that mark.  I've been hearing slightly over $30K, so probably closer to $32K or $33K.  Still pretty reasonable.  Should be right in the hunt with the Charger R/T.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

Quote from: MX793 on February 07, 2007, 09:25:13 AM
Dodge can manage to sell a V8 Charger for $30K and change base price, I think GM could be pretty close to that mark.  I've been hearing slightly over $30K, so probably closer to $32K or $33K.  Still pretty reasonable.  Should be right in the hunt with the Charger R/T.

I think you're right on at the $32-34K mark.  However, I doubt the Charger will be able to match this cars overall performance, but I could be wrong.

JYODER240

They should offer the LS7 as the top of the line engine to put the Charger SRT-8 in its place.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 07, 2007, 10:30:30 AM
They should offer the LS7 as the top of the line engine to put the Charger SRT-8 in its place.

That may happen eventually.  What engine is in there now?  I thought it would be the LS2, but with only 362bhp, that must be a pretty restrictive exhaust. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7611.msg358012#msg358012 date=1170869553
That may happen eventually.? What engine is in there now?? I thought it would be the LS2, but with only 362bhp, that must be a pretty restrictive exhaust.?

I doubt a restrictive exhaust accounts for that much. I'm sure they had other ways to detune it, and i'm not sure why they would.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2007, 10:32:33 AM
That may happen eventually.  What engine is in there now?  I thought it would be the LS2, but with only 362bhp, that must be a pretty restrictive exhaust. 

The motor is designated L76.  It's Holden's version of the gen IV small block, so it's basically a less powerful cousin to the LS2.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on February 07, 2007, 10:40:43 AM
The motor is designated L76.? It's Holden's version of the gen IV small block, so it's basically a less powerful cousin to the LS2.

This engine has "AFM" which shuts down 4 cylinders under light use. Maybe that impacted the power?

GMI has some good info up. I just read this:

Powertrain

The base G8 model receives a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 261 horsepower (194 kW). It is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.

A limited-slip rear differential is standard with GT models.

LSD for the GT model.? :ohyeah:

J86

Wow, this loooks really freaking good.  SO much better than any of the stuff Pontiac offers now...were I in teh market, this would be a tough car to not buy!

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 07, 2007, 11:10:48 AM
This engine has "AFM" which shuts down 4 cylinders under light use. Maybe that impacted the power?

Possibly.  However, the Australian L98 (not to be confused with the old Chevy L98 small block) is basically an L76 without the cylinder deactivation and it's no more powerful.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on February 07, 2007, 10:40:43 AM
The motor is designated L76.  It's Holden's version of the gen IV small block, so it's basically a less powerful cousin to the LS2.

Interesting.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i