Ok- so I changed the air filter and I found....

Started by rohan, February 11, 2007, 08:55:38 AM

rohan

So the other day I changed the air filter on my GTO and found that it had a K&N in there but it was pretty beat up so I went ahead and put the paper one in.  I've read an article by 1 of those magazines like car and driver or something that did a test and found the K&N s didn't help any performance out so I went ahead and tossed it out.  The very first thing I noticed was that my engine was quieter and the second thing I noticed was that it didn't rev up quite as fast and seemed to have a little less power.  BUT i did get a mile or 2 more per gallon. 

So what's the deal- I noticed a difference right away but I thought they were'nt supposed to help out even let some extra dirt in the engine.    Was I imaining it was different or did it really make some small difference?

Whats the truth?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

MX793

Differences in power typically aren't that much between a paper filter and higher flow K&N.  However, there can be a noticeable difference in engine sound (high flow filter will result in a louder intake) and a higher flow filter could result in a snappier engine response since the motor doesn't have to work as hard to draw air through the filter.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

omicron

Instead of throwing away the filter, you threw away the whole engine. That may explain the quieter running and loss of performance.

S204STi

I agree with MX, the K&N probably only benefited engine response, which gives the impression of more power.  Also, did you put an AC Delco filter in there like you're supposed to or did you put a mis-fitted Fram in there? :nono:

rohan

Quote from: omicron on February 11, 2007, 10:02:10 AM
Instead of throwing away the filter, you threw away the whole engine. That may explain the quieter running and loss of performance.
In the words of Professor Farnsworth--- whaaaa?

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: R-inge on February 11, 2007, 10:16:57 AM
I agree with MX, the K&N probably only benefited engine response, which gives the impression of more power.? Also, did you put an AC Delco filter in there like you're supposed to or did you put a mis-fitted Fram in there? :nono:
Fram bad-ACDelco good?

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on February 11, 2007, 10:21:32 AM
Fram bad-ACDelco good?

AC Delco=designed specifically for your vehicle, FRAM=generic fits-all design.  Beyond that, I think FRAM's quality is suspect.  That part is just my opinion.

rohan

Quote from: MX793 on February 11, 2007, 09:28:33 AM
Differences in power typically aren't that much between a paper filter and higher flow K&N.? However, there can be a noticeable difference in engine sound (high flow filter will result in a louder intake) and a higher flow filter could result in a snappier engine response since the motor doesn't have to work as hard to draw air through the filter.
That's what I think happened.  Let me see if I get this-  so even though it doesn't make more power- it uses the exiting power better by letting the engine "wind up" faster?  Is that right?

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: R-inge on February 11, 2007, 10:23:11 AM
AC Delco=designed specifically for your vehicle, FRAM=generic fits-all design.? Beyond that, I think FRAM's quality is suspect.? That part is just my opinion.
Ahhhh- I don't remember what brand- big orange box with a nice pictuer of the filter on it.

~Chief Seattle

280Z Turbo

I have heard bad things about Fram oil filters as well. Cheap junk is all they are.

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on February 11, 2007, 10:24:35 AM
Ahhhh- I don't remember what brand- big orange box with a nice pictuer of the filter on it.

Haha...either way, not AC Delco.

Don't frett over it, just get the right brand next time (say, 15k miles or so).   :mrcool:

J86

I've used nothing but fram oil filters in my cars, to no ill effects. :huh:

GoCougs

IMO, the sound difference is giving you the impression of a change in response and/or power.

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on February 11, 2007, 10:38:22 AM
IMO, the sound difference is giving you the impression of a change in response and/or power.

The old flip the air filter cover over- trick?? I dunno- it seems to take a few more moments for the tach to climb up there- painfully more moments!? But you might be right!

~Chief Seattle

traumadog

My understanding is that it's probably a relatively small difference - oiled-cotton filters do flow slightly more than paper, though the trade-off is more microscopic dirt. 

From what I've seen, I've had maybe a half-MPG increase with the K&N's in place.  That being said, cleaning a K&N if one was in there would be cheaper than buying regular paper ones over the life of the car (if that really matters to you).

And as for the dirt issue, I still wind up changing my oil every 3k miles, which although is overkill, is cheap insurance to me.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

SaltyDog

I think you got better gas mileage because the K/N was dirty and you replaced it with a clean filter.  Cleaning the K&N might have made even better mileage.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 11, 2007, 11:24:28 AM
I think you got better gas mileage because the K/N was dirty and you replaced it with a clean filter.? Cleaning the K&N might have made even better mileage.

No, it doesn't. I used to use one.

Also another reason not to use them is the oil that saturates the media gradually migrates off of the filter and onto your MAF, which will impact fuel economy and may even ruin it, which I saw frequently with Nissans, causing driveability concerns.

Pancor

If you feel like modifying the intake of your vehicle, do it right and relpace the entire factory airbox with a tube-and-cone system from a good company.   Changing a filter isn't going to do shit.   

r0tor

I have a K&N replacement filter in my RX8 and generally like it.  While any power/mileage gains are small enough that it ends up being very questionable - it only cost a few bucks more then a OEM Mazda paper filter and the intake sounds a little more aggressive and can be reused over and over.

My personal theory on the sound it not increase airflow, but a decrease in sound attenuation.  My stock filter was paper, about 2x thicker, and had more pleates  - i'd think it muffles the intake sound more then a K&N does.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: traumadog on February 11, 2007, 10:51:18 AM
And as for the dirt issue, I still wind up changing my oil every 3k miles, which although is overkill, is cheap insurance to me.
The dirt won't affect the oil- it will affect the air sensors (Mass airflow like R-Inge said plus others,) and then goes into the combustion chamber.
Not good for rings and pistons.

I'm sure most of it (99.9%?) just gets blown out the exhaust, but still...
Will