600 HP Corvette confirmed by Lutz

Started by SVT666, February 12, 2007, 03:19:35 PM

SVT666

Lutz himself has confirmed a 600 hp Corvette for summer 2009.  Is it just me or does that seem a little far off?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/12/600-horsepower-corvette-to-arrive-in-2009/

Payman

2 and a half years away? I don't buy it. This thing is close to production.

southdiver1

Maybe it will launch the same time as the new Camaro. If the Camaro rolls out with over 500 HP, then the Corvette will need to remain more powerful?  Just a thought.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Payman

Quote from: southdiver1 on February 12, 2007, 05:52:59 PM
Maybe it will launch the same time as the new Camaro. If the Camaro rolls out with over 500 HP, then the Corvette will need to remain more powerful?? Just a thought.

The Camaro has, for the most part, always kept pace with the 'Vette in terms of horsepower, pretty close anyway. Two different markets so they can make it as powerful as they want.

SaltyDog

So it'll beat the current engine's 0-60 in 3.6 seconds.  That's CRAZY, but great.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

the Teuton

It's about time.  The project was only conceived in 2004.  :rockon:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

goldenlover1101

Quote from: southdiver1 on February 12, 2007, 05:52:59 PM
Maybe it will launch the same time as the new Camaro. If the Camaro rolls out with over 500 HP, then the Corvette will need to remain more powerful?? Just a thought.
I have to agree with you. The new Camaro SS will probably get a detuned Z06 engine good for around 475 HP or so. I think they will up the top of the line vette to put some distance between them. Why buy a Vette when a camaro is across the lot with the same or close horsepower. Chevy is going to have an awesome showroom. All of their new offering are world class, can't wait till the new Impala to round out their line up. Toyota may be reliable, but there is nothing like good american muscle. LF-A Be Damned!!! :lol:

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

SVT666

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on February 12, 2007, 09:14:04 PM
I have to agree with you. The new Camaro SS will probably get a detuned Z06 engine good for around 475 HP or so. I think they will up the top of the line vette to put some distance between them. Why buy a Vette when a camaro is across the lot with the same or close horsepower. Chevy is going to have an awesome showroom. All of their new offering are world class, can't wait till the new Impala to round out their line up. Toyota may be reliable, but there is nothing like good american muscle. LF-A Be Damned!!! :lol:
No way, I can't agree with your horsepower rating.  The current GT500 has 500 hp and the next GT500 is rumoured to be in the 550 hp range.  GM won't put anything in their top of the line Camaro with less then 550 hp to compete with the GT500. 

Raghavan

Even if the Corvette and Camaro had the same amount of hp, it wouldn't matter because the Corvette is a goodhandling, lightweight sportscar, whereas the Camaro is a musclecar.

280Z Turbo

Raghavan

Lebowski

Why buy a Vette when a camaro is across the lot with the same or close horsepower.

Maybe, just maybe because you're not a mullet-sporting greaseball.

SVT666

Why buy a Vette when a camaro is across the lot with the same or close horsepower.
Well, if the number is all that matters to you, then you probably will.  But it still won't be as fast, or handle as well, or be as exclusive.

southdiver1

Quote from: Lebowski on February 13, 2007, 06:50:04 AM
Maybe, just maybe because you're not a mullet-sporting greaseball.

The funny thing is, I have owned four Camaros and two Mustangs and I have NEVER worn a mullet. :huh:
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 13, 2007, 07:34:33 AM
Well, if the number is all that matters to you, then you probably will.  But it still won't be as fast, or handle as well, or be as exclusive.

Yeah, but you could like it better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7709.msg362960#msg362960 date=1171378318
Yeah, but you could like it better.
His argument was why would you buy a Corvette if you could get a Camaro with the same power.  I'm saying its because the Camaro still won't be as fast or handle as well.  Horsepower is great and all but if its in a car that is 600 lbs heavier, it won't be as fast so what good is the number without the speed?  If numbers are all that matter then you probably would buy the Camaro.