Project Car...The Beetle.

Started by JWC, February 15, 2007, 07:12:19 PM

JWC

Thanks Chris. I didn't realize there was any help in this area.  For cycling, where municipalities pass stupid bicycle restricting laws, there are organization like, League of American Bicyclists, that will start a campaign to fight the law.  Had no idea that there was something similar for autos.

JWC

Thanks to Chris, I went from checking SEMA's site to state ordinances.  Seems the state says no vehicle can be removed from private property, if the owner objects to its removal. HAH!   Also, since I haven't trimmed my hedges (and now I'm not) all I have to do according to the state ordinance is shield the vehicle from view "of someone standing outside my property line". 

So, thanks to the town, my overgrown azaleas will remain...overgrown and that cuts down on my yard work for the year.  I do have to get some wood strips to thread through the wire fence gate.  Piece of cake.

JWC

Just came back from a friend's house.  Bought his 1971 VW Beetle sedan (standard not Super Beetle). 

Now I have two VW's in the yard.

At least this one runs.

ChrisV

Lol! That's how it is with Bugs. You get one, they multiply. That's why I've had so many. It took real work to end up with none, as they kept showing up. I actually had to move to the east coast to stop acquiring them (when I moved I got rid of 2 bugs, a Ghia, and a bus...)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JWC

...and I get to work this morning, co-worker goes online to the local classifieds and listed there is a pristine 1963, converted to 12v already for 4500 or best offer. 

Couldn't find one three weeks ago, now, indeed, they are multiplying.

J86

Dude, you sound like me with small boats...

JWC

Well, I've been driving the 1971 Beetle sedan around making notes of things to fix.  Long list so far. 

They include:

Transmission mount
Clutch cable
Left rear tail lamp socket.
Distributor
Carburetor rebuild.
Valve adjustment
Brake adjustment
Shift lever bushing and quick shift kit.
Turn signal switch.
Lube from beam.
Adjust front wheel bearings.
Replace muffler.

You wouldn't believe that 'redo' list.

To give you an idea:
new dash pad
new seats
repair dents and repaint
new wheels and tires
drop front end by two inches/maybe rear by one.
new outside mirror
new inside mirror
new dome lamp and modify one for use on the  passenger side.
new glove box
new stereo and speakers (including from mounting kits and rear package shelf kit.)
do away with the air pressure windshield washer system and cut in an electric washer system
new running boards
Euro style tail lamps
shave the turn signals off the top of the fenders.
three way headlamp assemblies (these lamps incorporate turn signals, headlamp, and driving/fog lamps into one assembly).

S204STi

Sounds like a good time!

I would love to do this sometime.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on April 16, 2007, 07:34:38 PM
Sounds like a good time!

I would love to do this sometime.

I enjoy it and VW's tend to be economical to customize.  That's just a partial list.  You should see the real list.  I'm even considering finding a good power seat track to mount the seats to for a little more "adjustability".

It is amazing to me what I came up with to upgrade.  The seat belts are non-retractable, tyou just hang them.on a hook when you unlatch them, quaint, but I'll get retractables from a VW supply shop.  Plus, I'll install rear belts with retractors.  Easy to do, since federal law mandated in 1968 that all cars available in the US have rear seat belt shoulder harnesses as an option.  All the bolt holes are already there.

SaltyDog

I love it when a plan comes together.

Sounds like you got some work ahead of you.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

JWC

Well, the plan is complicated by time and weather.  It is about to be summer and summers in NC are miserable.  For driveability reasons, I have to rebuild the carb, replace the distributor, and the transmission mount before I do any body or interior work.  More than likely, instead of having this car exactly the way I want it by September, it will be more like December.  Especially since I will probably have to paint it myself.

Rupert

How much do you expect to spend by the end? I've been considering a Bug as a cheap car to fix up and have fun with...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

JWC

Psilos,  I want to upgrade this car to make it reliable and comfortable.  I'll be spending a lot on it.  The last list I made came to a little over $4,000 including a turn-key engine (engine price didn't include shipping).  I could spend as little as 1500.00 since this car runs.  This is for no outside labor, I would be doing everything myself.  I'll have a lot more into this car than it would be worth, but that is the price you have to pay...if you want to play.

For basic upgrading, I'd suggest front disc brake kit, better seats (pick up a set from a salvage yard).   If you find a turn-key Beetle, they are pretty reliable from the get-go.  If you want to go that route, keep an eye out on craigslist or keep an eye on the classifed section of thesamba.com

Rupert

My initial idea is to find something that runs pretty well and doesn't need anything. I'd hope to make it something of a driving project, while I replaced bits that suck, upgraded, and modified. I'd hope, in the end, to have a rust-free, lowered/otherwise suspension modified, faster than stock (and better stopping-- drums are less good!) car with a pretty nice(ish... must be practical) interior and paint job (that I'd be willing to do myself). I'd expect to do all my own work, unless I got in way over my head. Adverts around here seem to suggest that the Beetle that runs pretty well and doesn't need anything would cost about $1000, maybe a touch less.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

JWC

I'm not sure where you live, but unless you're in the southwest, rust is the biggest culprit for expensive repairs on a Beetle.  Check the floorpans and wheelhouses for rot.  A rusted out rear floor underneath the battery is a given and expected.  Fortunately, rear floor/battery tray sections are easy to replace and cheap.

Disc brake kits are readily available and not too expensive. There are cheap ways to lower a Beetle, but I'll spend the money and get a narrowed drop front beam.

ChrisV

Where Psilos is at, Bugs are a dime a dozen, Seriously. If he doesn't bite on the first thing that shows up, he could have a nice, rust free runner for like $500.

be willing to drive a bit, though, as they are all over the place.

None of these cost me more than $2000 to build including purchase price:

None were perfect, but all were cool drivers.

many of my 30 or so Bugs were picked up like this:

for about $100-200. Dropped in good used, stock engines, cleaned up with paint and chrome tin. Put on new bumpers, new rubber all around (windows, welting, seals at lights, etc) new seat covers if necessary, lowering, used wheels and tires, and custom paint. usually $700-1000 for all the replacement parts, then another $200-500 for paint materials.

Yes, if you want perfection, you can spend silly amounts of money on them, just like any car. I've seen ones that have upwards of $20-30k into them. But for fun driver/projects, they are dirt cheap.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JWC

The 4k figure included sewfine seats, which I've changed my mind about.  I'll go to a salvage yard for good pair of used seats.  So, that figure should be adjust down about 500-600.

Rupert

I like that blue and white on the bottom, there, Chris.

I suppose there are a ton of on- and off-line resources for Bug knowledge and parts, and I suppose that someday when I really get serious (end of summer, here's to hoping!) I'll find them.

eThirteen

What are you hoping for the end product to be, any specific goal? There aren't many beetles around here.. btw, I ride a Demo8 haha, you? ;)

JWC

A mild custom, sort of like those Chirs posted.  I don't want anything too radical engine wise, I want it to remain easy to maintain and reliable.  The last photo in Chris' post, is close to what I want the paint to be, except yellow and white. 

Mainly a daily driver, though I usually ride a bicycle to work, that is comfortable, reliable and unique.

omicron

I have been inspired! I'm going to chase up a '63 Thunderbird and make a project of it.

What do you think - $100? $200?

JWC

Quote from: omicron on April 19, 2007, 09:29:45 AM
I have been inspired! I'm going to chase up a '63 Thunderbird and make a project of it.

What do you think - $100? $200?

The dealership's owner bought a 62 Tbird convertible last summer. Needed minor work. Price was reportedly 22,000 dollars. 

I'm looking at a light blue with white top 1962 T/bird in for a brake problem.  Don't ask,  the car's owner won't sell it.  He also owns a white one and a black one. All convertibles.

(PS, when I said I was looking at it, I meant literally.  It is in bay 4 across from my desk)

JWC

Well, F*$K.

There is an old trick of finding TDC for #1 cylinder on a VW by sticking a pencil down the spark plug hole.   

Works great if you take the car out of gear first.  Leaving the car in gear and rocking the engine back and forth, evidently, leads to disaster.  The pencil was too short, the car moved and knocked the pencil from fingers and now is lost down the cylinder. 

Gotta pull the engine and head.

Dammit!

:banghead:

After I calmed down, I decided that this is a prime opportunity to do some engine work, minor stuff, that is easier when the engine is out.  Just have to make the best of a really, really  bonehead, rookie, stupid mistake.

Raza

Haha!  That sounds like the kind of mistake I would make.  At least you didn't send another pencil down there to try and bring it back up.

That's definitely something I would do.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

Adjusting valves on a VW is done as often as changing the oil.  It isn't like I haven't done this before.  I just can't believe I pulled such a stupid mistake.

The only thing I can say in my defense is I was rushing to get it done by this afternoon, because it is my daughter's sixteenth Bday party and I'm cooking.

This is what happens when you try to rush and cuts corners.  Now, I have to pay with even more time.

JWC

Well engine runs perfect...except the choke doesn't work.  Not a big deal this time of year.   I'll order one before fall sets in.

Daughter took this shot last weekend.

Next phase is rust abatement.  Then interior.

This weekend, unfortunately, is wrapping up some photos for several clients and working on the sunroom.

Raghavan

THat Beetle looks clean...

JWC

Thanks  it's fairly clean.  Only a couple of minor dents and that rust spot on the front fender.  Original paint, never been wrecked.  I think it was a pretty good find. 

The ideal is for it to look similar to this in about a year.

J86

That's gonna look great!

Raghavan

Quote from: JWC on May 03, 2007, 06:45:09 PM
Thanks  it's fairly clean.  Only a couple of minor dents and that rust spot on the front fender.  Original paint, never been wrecked.  I think it was a pretty good find. 

The ideal is for it to look similar to this in about a year.

No Porsche wheels?