Project Car...The Beetle.

Started by JWC, February 15, 2007, 07:12:19 PM

Raza

You know, they sold the Beetle RSi down in Mexico.  That's a car I'd buy when I hit that lottery next year.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7766.msg377861#msg377861 date=1172892068
You know, they sold the Beetle RSi down in Mexico.? That's a car I'd buy when I hit that lottery next year.

That was a car I always got a kick out of, but it was so horrendously overpriced I'd beat myself if I ever bought one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 02, 2007, 08:24:34 PM
That was a car I always got a kick out of, but it was so horrendously overpriced I'd beat myself if I ever bought one.

I know, I know.  I'd never spend honest money on it.  Didn't it cost over 80 grand US?  And isn't it mechanically identical to the original R32? 

Still, I'd like to get a little more power of it and go hunting for overconfident backwards hat types.  I'd love to see the look on their face when a "riced out" Beetle whoops them in a race. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7766.msg377866#msg377866 date=1172892736
I know, I know.? I'd never spend honest money on it.? Didn't it cost over 80 grand US?? And isn't it mechanically identical to the original R32??
?

Yes and yes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza on March 02, 2007, 08:32:16 PM
I know, I know. I'd never spend honest money on it. Didn't it cost over 80 grand US? And isn't it mechanically identical to the original R32?

Still, I'd like to get a little more power of it and go hunting for overconfident backwards hat types. I'd love to see the look on their face when a "riced out" Beetle whoops them in a race.

You don't know how to get more power out of anything.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 02, 2007, 09:47:16 PM

Put more money into it?  ;)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 02, 2007, 10:08:47 PM
Put more money into it? ;)

Nah, he wouldn't even know what to buy. He'd waste all of his money on electric superchargers, throttle body spacers, and cold air intakes. :lol:

Danish

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 02, 2007, 10:13:44 PM
Nah, he wouldn't even know what to buy. He'd waste all of his money on electric superchargers, throttle body spacers, and cold air intakes. :lol:

Its kinda odd that you mention that because I got this PM....

Raza
View Profile WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

help!
? Sent to: Danish on: February 25, 2007, 03:13:45 AM ?
   Reply with quote Reply Remove this message

I'm thinking of grabbing this for my car.... Thoughts?

http://sunamiturbo.com/

Raza
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

280Z Turbo

I'm not sure that the Porsche dealer will install that for him.

JWC

I'm going to make an offer on this VW, but not what he is asking.  Probably half.  The vehicle is salvagable, but there is rust-thru holes around the lower part of the windshield, an important item if you want the windshield to stay on the car at hwy speeds.   It doesn't run, but the engine isn't locked up.  He says that the fuel pump is not coming on and I know several relatively inexpensive reasons why that would happen and a couple of relatively expensive reasons.  The floorboards are gone, rusted clean away.

Good point of the car is that it has never been wrecked.

Raza

Quote from: Danish on March 03, 2007, 11:37:08 AM
Its kinda odd that you mention that because I got this PM....

Raza
View Profile WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

help!
? Sent to: Danish on: February 25, 2007, 03:13:45 AM ?
   Reply with quote Reply Remove this message

I'm thinking of grabbing this for my car.... Thoughts?

http://sunamiturbo.com/

Raza

:confused:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 02, 2007, 09:47:16 PM

You're kind of being a dick for no reason.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

OMFG!

Now what am I going to do!

I looked at the VW convertible Saturday and made a very low offer, knowing the guy wouldn't take it.

Yesterday, I find out that a friend of mine who has a 1971 Beetle has decided to sell his and I'm the lucky recipient. 

Only, the guy with the 'vert, just accepted my offer and he's throwing in a Schwinn ten-speed bike.

My wife is going to have a cow. 

Now I own two VW's.

(And six bicycles)

sparkplug

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2007, 05:23:56 PM
OMFG!

Now what am I going to do!

I looked at the VW convertible Saturday and made a very low offer, knowing the guy wouldn't take it.

Yesterday, I find out that a friend of mine who has a 1971 Beetle has decided to sell his and I'm the lucky recipient. 

Only, the guy with the 'vert, just accepted my offer and he's throwing in a Schwinn ten-speed bike.

My wife is going to have a cow. 

Now I own two VW's.

(And six bicycles)

Your wife is going to have a cow huh. Well, I'd ask her who she's been sleeping around with. Congrats on the two beetles. Keep an eye on that wife.

Raghavan

Quote from: sparkplug on March 06, 2007, 05:41:45 PM
Your wife is going to have a cow huh. Well, I'd ask her who she's been sleeping around with. Congrats on the two beetles. Keep an eye on that wife.
:lol:
Congrats JWC.... Hopefully your wife won't have a big cow.

JWC

I emailed her at work.....hopefully, she'll calm down before she sees me tomorrow. 

I hadn't really planned on taking on two projects at the same time, especially a rusty convertible.  If nothing else, I can part it out.  I just have to keep it hidden in the backyard or the town will tag it and tow it away.

S204STi

That's classic...two veedubs and 6 bikes...I dig that! :rockon:

Raza

The trick is to convince your wife that you can drive both Beetles and ride all six bikes at the same time.  No way she can argue with that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

I secured the rollback and driver for tomorrow morning. As long as no one sells a car that needs to be transferred from another dealer, I'm set to pick up the convertible about eight tomorrow morning. 

One good thing about working at a dealership is being able to use the wrecker and driver at "no charge".  Well, except for buying the driver lunch.

TheIntrepid

Congrats :rockon:

I love the old Bugs. Post pics!!!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

J86

The Pirate

Cool!  Be sure to post up some pics when you get the cars.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raghavan

JWC

Well, we're on for tomorrow.  I will be taking photos because if this car turns out to be rebuildable, I'm going to want to document it this time.  I failed to do that on any of my other cars.  Usually, I would take photos of them after they were finished..or in the case of two of them, wrecked.

I'll warn you though, this car is in pretty bad shape.  The humid conditions in North Carolina have taken its toll on this poor car in spite of it being locked up in a barn.  My concern tomorrow is not just getting it home, but covering it up before the town sees it and wants it removed. 

Besides the rear brakes being locked up, it also has one dry-rotted tire that will not hold air.   My first investment on it will be finding a tire so I can push it into the backyard.  Actually, I might go a get the spare tire from the other VW Beetle I'm buying next week and use it.  That's a pretty good idea.

Thanks for the help. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 09, 2007, 06:29:28 PM
Well, we're on for tomorrow.? I will be taking photos because if this car turns out to be rebuildable, I'm going to want to document it this time.? I failed to do that on any of my other cars.? Usually, I would take photos of them after they were finished..or in the case of two of them, wrecked.

I'll warn you though, this car is in pretty bad shape.? The humid conditions in North Carolina have taken its toll on this poor car in spite of it being locked up in a barn.? My concern tomorrow is not just getting it home, but covering it up before the town sees it and wants it removed.?

Besides the rear brakes being locked up, it also has one dry-rotted tire that will not hold air.? ?My first investment on it will be finding a tire so I can push it into the backyard.? Actually, I might go a get the spare tire from the other VW Beetle I'm buying next week and use it.? That's a pretty good idea.

Thanks for the help. :lol:

If you need an 87mm slip-in piston set, let me know. :tounge:

JWC

Well, it got home safely...almost.  I threw the bicycle in the car and broke off the inside rear view mirror.  I was going to replace it anyway.  Fresh out of the barn.  The tractor was the muscle for getting it out.  The man to the left is the wrecker driver.

And, being loaded onto the rollback.

After getting it home, we literally had to shake it off the wrecker.  The left rear tire was flat and I've spent the whole day hammering on the brake drum trying to free up the brake. 

I have given it a pretty good once over...and it isn't as bad as I first thought.  The worse parts are the floors and the wiring.  I hate wiring.  I will also have to learn to install a convertible top.

Overall, $500.00 well spent.  Not to mention the bicycle was thrown in on the deal. 

The Pirate

Can't argue with a free bike!  Looks like it will be fun too, I look forward to hearing some progress updates.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.