It's a bird! It's a Plane! No, it's the Humvee replacement?!?

Started by the Teuton, February 15, 2007, 09:30:38 PM

Tave

I see what he means. The two words imply different things.

"Strategy" is a general context, or point of view.

"Tactics" are specific responses.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

S204STi

And don't get me wrong, the jeep is a great vehicle and certainly serves it's purpose but it is not designed to cope with the needs of urban warfare, sorry.

93JC

The point I was trying to make was that the only thing that can 'cope' with being in urban warfare is a tank or APV.

But that's just silly in urban warfare where you're explicitly trying not to kill civvies.

sandertheshark

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 21, 2007, 04:35:43 PM
The thought of anyone using that, or even a watered-down version as a family hauler/daily driver is hysterical.  It's also frightening and sad.
It's also inevitable.

sandertheshark

A large range of civilian vehicles have already been considered to complement or partially replace the HMMWV, including "smart trucks" based on the Chevy Avalanche, the Ford F-350, and an International Harvester commercial rig.  In the end, there is nothing that can do so many jobs so well as the good old Hummer.

AutobahnSHO

Wow.
There are advantages/ disadvantages with anything.  Our Humvees are some of the most capable off-roaders in the world, but a British "Defender" or German MB will spank them any day of the year on highway, while getting better fuel mileage and still being fairly capable offroaders.

These vehicles are good for being an armored people carrier but don't appear to be as modular or useful for any sort of cargo, ambulance duty, etc...  They will probably get even worse gas mileage than the Humvees, while surviving an explosion better.  Are we going to buy one to replace every humvee??? I hope not!

ps- a few uses for humvees:

(generator set)

(Satellite comms)

(tropo radio set- the truck pulls the antenna trailer, more than 1000 watts of microwave radio!!)

(recruiting duty.  sorry, but I had to post it since they've got the same woofers installed that I have.  :lol: )
Will