Aftermarket Wheels

Started by S204STi, February 18, 2007, 10:03:14 AM

the Teuton

I'm a fan of all things OEM because a lot of time if you cheap out it looks like junk.? Buying a used set of better OEM rims, like if an LS model Chevy came with 16s while an LT came with 17s, is not only usually higher quality but also cheaper than buying new.? My WRX rims cost $300 including shipping from AZ to OH with tires.? That's a lot more worth it than buying BBS knockoffs from Sears, and plus the fact, they're WRX rims.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

I think I may try to find a set of OEM 15" wheels.  I know I can buy them new from Subaru or genuinesubaruparts.com but they are friggin' 'spensive.

the Teuton

Go to RS25.com, NASIOC, or something like that, if they have something Legacy-specific.? There are people upgrading all the time who are looking to get rid of old rims all the time.

I posted a thread on one of the Subaru forums.? Let's see what fits.? BTW, they made some awesome looking rims for the Legacy.? Check them out.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

And apparently anything from an Impreza with the exception of the 2005-07 WRX STI rims will fit, too.

saxonyron

I'd recommend checking into a brand-specific site and check out what works with other Subaru owners.  You'd be surprised what you'd find there.  No need to...ahem....reinvent the wheel, you know!   :ohyeah:  I found a lot of good info from Audiworld.com when I bought my aftermarkets a few years ago.  Unfortunately, I was very green and listened to the more overzealous owners and shyed away from the more sound advice.  I got beautiful BBS VZ 18 incher that IMO made my A6 look kickass.  Unfortunately, the only drawback was the barely 2" of sidewall I had on my Toyo Proxes IV's and the 60%-40% weight distribution of the 3,800# A6.  The front wheels were constantly on death row.  I repaired 2 cracks and 3 warps before the very expensive Toyos died an untimely death due to excessive abuse.   :cry:  A lighter car would have fared well, or even a slightly bigger sidewall (but that was limited due to clearance issues).  Basically, had I stuck with 17's, life would have been perfect.

As far as brands go, they matter a lot.  My bro-in law bought some chromed out no-name 18's for his car for fat money (more than the  $1,800 I spent on my BBS's!) and within a year the chrome was toast.  Rusty, pitted, splotchy crap.  I'd stick with a known name of a brand that has a history, a reputation and a reason to make you happy. And again - don't yield to temptation to go too big - you need some sidewall to protect the rims.  Especially in the snowbelt where roads are bombed out.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Here are my recently departed babies.  They made the car handle much better, too - but that had a lot to do with the tiny sidewalls for stiffening up the ride.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

S204STi

Yeah, a lot of Subaru wheels actually look quite nice, particularly the 16s on that white leg.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2007, 10:37:24 AM
It doesn't look like Sears recognizes my car, so I won't buy that one.  But the question still stands.  What about "Sport Edition" "ASA" "OZ" and other wheel brands carried on Tirerack.com and other places?

ASA and OZ are both good brands, but look to spend a lot. If I get the car in my sig I'll probably get some 18" ASAs (that is the biggest problem with the GTO stylistically (is that a word?), the 17"s make it look fat).

S204STi

Eye of the Tiger

I have some 17x7 wheels that will fit perfecty on teh Suzuki Esteem wagon I'll be inheriting. I'm hoping it will look something like this:

:lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raghavan

Quote from: the Teuton on February 18, 2007, 02:50:26 PM
OK, so when my speedo says I'm going 57, I'm actually going 60 when I have the 16" wheels on. It's just something you live with if you get bigger rims.
Ok, and it throws off your odo too.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raghavan on February 19, 2007, 02:38:38 PM
Ok, and it throws off your odo too.

Apparently, but no one is counting.  I'm officially never selling the car and it already has close to 160k miles on the body.  I can't have the wheels on the car for more then 4 months a year anyway.  I think it's all right.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on February 19, 2007, 09:45:55 AM
ASA and OZ are both good brands, but look to spend a lot. If I get the car in my sig I'll probably get some 18" ASAs (that is the biggest problem with the GTO stylistically (is that a word?), the 17"s make it look fat).

Yes, it is a word.

Only the 2004s had 17" wheels.  I'm fairly certain that the 05s and 06s had 18".  The 06s I drove definitely had 18s on it.  They were an option, but I remember being told that the vast majority of GTOs had them.

I think ASA AR1s look good on anything, so don't let me stop you.  I love GTOs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2007, 03:05:36 PM
Apparently, but no one is counting.  I'm officially never selling the car and it already has close to 160k miles on the body.  I can't have the wheels on the car for more then 4 months a year anyway.  I think it's all right.

I'm wondering, does no one plus size?  Last I was told, and I'm not saying that I'm unequivocally correct since mechanics are not my area of expertise, that if you plus size properly, your speedometer won't be thrown off since the overall size of the wheel and tire is only changed marginally.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Wheel_Fitment_Guide.cfm

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Raza, you're right if you do it right you can run a larger wheel size with a lower profile tire in order to make sure your speedometer is as close to accurate as possible.  Also if you are running an automatic tranny it is a good idea.

Raghavan

Basically, you have to keep the overall diameter (wheel and tire) at the factory diameter. You can change the wheel and tire size as much as you want as long as the overall diameter doesn't change.

the Teuton

It's kinda impossible to do that in my situation.  Unless I want to blow more money than it's worth to run 40 or 45 series tires, it's not worth it.  As it is, I'm running with 50 series sidewalls and that's already 5 mm under OEM.  I'm going to replace them soon, but it's really hard finding 205/50s (I'm dropping width back down from 225 because I'm lowering the car in the summer and don't want to have to pound out the wheel wells), so I might have to go OEM-spec.

Back on R-inge, any updates on ideas?

S204STi

Well, I think I am going to start saving for a set of Subaru OEMs, either used with few blemishes or new from a guy who is upgrading.  I am still torn about keeping my car, it just rounded 181,000mi, and it could use some body and paint work.  If I do any of this I think I should plan on keeping the car for a while.

J86

I like this, I can live vicariously through you two modding your Subies :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: J86 on February 19, 2007, 07:38:49 PM
I like this, I can live vicariously through you two modding your Subies :lol:
ditto
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2007, 06:51:04 PM
It's kinda impossible to do that in my situation.  Unless I want to blow more money than it's worth to run 40 or 45 series tires, it's not worth it.  As it is, I'm running with 50 series sidewalls and that's already 5 mm under OEM.  I'm going to replace them soon, but it's really hard finding 205/50s (I'm dropping width back down from 225 because I'm lowering the car in the summer and don't want to have to pound out the wheel wells), so I might have to go OEM-spec.

Back on R-inge, any updates on ideas?

Are you trying to tell me it's hard to find a 205/50/15 tire?

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on February 19, 2007, 09:42:21 PM
Are you trying to tell me it's hard to find a 205/50/15 tire?

No, I'm telling you it's somewhat hard to find a 205/50/16 tire at a reasonable price and even harder to find a 215/50/16.

Honestly, you wouldn't believe how much money I haven't spent to get what I have.? My budget goes through more personal red tape than a government budget approval.

r0tor

these are my winter wheels/tires. 

The wheels are made by Kazera which is an offshoot brand of a better known brand (i'm having a brainfart as to who it is now)... basically the brand was made to be nice looking and affordable but strong everyday drivers (they make a sacrifice on weight to acheive all 3).  They are pretty cheap at the Tirerack... i haven't had a problem now after 3 seasons

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on February 19, 2007, 09:47:36 PM
No, I'm telling you it's somewhat hard to find a 205/50/16 tire at a reasonable price and even harder to find a 215/50/16.

Try finding a 205/50R17.  Tire Rack lists all of 10 performance all-seasons in that size and only 3 of them are less than $150 a tire.  Only 2 of those are less than $100 per tire. 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

I might be Craig's List-ing these.  Like I said, you wouldn't believe how much my budget makes most other people look like they overpay for things.  When I'm done, I'm submitting my car to GR Motorsports as the cheapest build in the history of man.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on February 19, 2007, 03:38:59 PM
Yes, it is a word.

Only the 2004s had 17" wheels.  I'm fairly certain that the 05s and 06s had 18".  The 06s I drove definitely had 18s on it.  They were an option, but I remember being told that the vast majority of GTOs had them.

I think ASA AR1s look good on anything, so don't let me stop you.  I love GTOs.

Well they look fat too. Maybe it is just the design of the wheel or perhaps it is because they sort of tuck into the body.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on February 20, 2007, 07:03:32 AM
these are my winter wheels/tires.?

The wheels are made by Kazera which is an offshoot brand of a better known brand (i'm having a brainfart as to who it is now)... basically the brand was made to be nice looking and affordable but strong everyday drivers (they make a sacrifice on weight to acheive all 3).? They are pretty cheap at the Tirerack... i haven't had a problem now after 3 seasons

Good to know, thanks for that. :rockon:

Minpin

Check into Enkei they are a very good brand and are fairly cheap. They are popular so you could find a used set out there somewhere. Just my suggestion.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?