Audi A5 Coupe (A4 Coupe)

Started by mrecktid, February 20, 2007, 12:26:32 AM

AKL

Wow, that's stunning.

Beautiful design. I really like Audi's style. 
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

r0tor

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7818.msg372525#msg372525 date=1172421071
Yes, but there are none in production now.?

thats because the B6/7 chassis could not fit the DSG box on longitudinally mounted engines... which again was suppose to be one of the main improvements on the B8 chassis.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on February 25, 2007, 10:06:56 AM
thats because the B6/7 chassis could not fit the DSG box on longitudinally mounted engines... which again was suppose to be one of the main improvements on the B8 chassis.

Right.  So things that are slated for sale in two years are not in production now. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2007, 05:03:32 PM
The B8 chassis was suppose to be built around having DSG linked to the longitudinally layed out engine... i think its a rather dumb move to keep your best tranny in the dark for a year or two of production

So your mad the S5 won't have an automatic?  :huh:

I think a Lexus IS350 (or IS-F) is probably more your style if you want an automatic.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 25, 2007, 05:43:54 AM
Very very hot. Take that POS FUGLY Toyota Solara. :praise: :rockon:

Friggin troll. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the Solara's in its final year of production.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 26, 2007, 09:23:40 AM
So your mad the S5 won't have an automatic?? :huh:

I think a Lexus IS350 (or IS-F) is probably more your style if you want an automatic.

I consider DSG to be the ultimate manual tranny... not an automatic -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2007, 11:20:39 AM
I consider DSG to be the ultimate manual tranny... not an automatic -shrug-

I consider it to be the ultimate automatic.  They even call it an automatic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

its really a matter of opinion if you want to call it an automatic of a manual... i personally don't care and want it

... and if audi had the smarts they will offer it from the get go

TBR

If you can't push in a clutch or move a shifter from gate to gate it is an automatic. Yes, that means BMW's SMG and Ferrari's F1 are both automatics in my book. A manual is about feel, not performance.

r0tor

Quote from: TBR on February 26, 2007, 11:25:20 AM
If you can't push in a clutch or move a shifter from gate to gate it is an automatic. Yes, that means BMW's SMG and Ferrari's F1 are both automatics in my book. A manual is about feel, not performance.

and the only true time you need to push in a clutch on your definition of a manual tranny is when starting out from a standstill -shrug-

and manuals with a cable operated shifter have no more feel then the shifter on a SMG/DSG unit -shrug x 2-

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on February 26, 2007, 11:25:20 AM
A manual is about feel, not performance.

Really. That sentence says it all. People will find any reason to justify holding tightly to the act of moving a third pedal to make them feel like they can actually drive.

First it was about manuals having better performance over a slushbox. Then it was about manuals giving more control than a modded performance automatic, now it's about manuals don't give more performance but it doesn't matter because they have a better "feel." As though all manuals feel the same.

Rationalize all you want, but it's becoming quite clear that it's really desperation that keeps people making excuses.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Why can't you grasp the idea that some people like driving manual transmissions for the sake of driving manual transmissions? Of course you are always right so why am I arguing?

TBR

And automatic transmission levers and buttons are often electronic, they do not have feel.

850CSi

Quote from: TBR on February 26, 2007, 11:56:11 AM
Why can't you grasp the idea that some people like driving manual transmissions for the sake of driving manual transmissions? Of course you are always right so why am I arguing?

+1

I just don't like driving automatics. Plain and simple.

ro51092

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on February 26, 2007, 11:56:11 AM

+ 2

I have nothing but respect for DSG. Its a great transmission. But the point of cars like the S4, RS4, etc... is to have fun. I am dissappointed in the fact that the S6 doesn't offer a manual. I could care less if the S5/A5 offer a DSG.

Its still an automatic though. Adding paddles is just as possible with a traditional automatic (of course with Lexus you would think have paddles make all the difference, I've never seen a company go to such extreme wording just to hide the fact that its an automatic).

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 26, 2007, 01:33:51 PM
+ 2

I have nothing but respect for DSG. Its a great transmission. But the point of cars like the S4, RS4, etc... is to have fun. I am dissappointed in the fact that the S6 doesn't offer a manual. I could care less if the S5/A5 offer a DSG.

Its still an automatic though. Adding paddles is just as possible with a traditional automatic (of course with Lexus you would think have paddles make all the difference, I've never seen a company go to such extreme wording just to hide the fact that its an automatic).

To me the driver involvement part is deciding when you want to shift and shifting when you feel like it and having the feel of the power reaching the wheels undampened by any torque converter.

Thats the fun of a manual to me...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2007, 01:43:19 PM
To me the driver involvement part is deciding when you want to shift and shifting when you feel like it and having the feel of the power reaching the wheels undampened by any torque converter.

Thats the fun of a manual to me...

You can do the same thing with practically any traditional automatic these days.

Why do you care if its DSG or a CVT with 8 stepped gears?

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 26, 2007, 01:48:51 PM
You can do the same thing with practically any traditional automatic these days.

Why do you care if its DSG or a CVT with 8 stepped gears?

any traditional automatic mucks up the feel with the torque converter (usually they are not locked up full time - although the newer Lexus 8 speed is in gears 3-8)... so typically you nab the gas and the first thing it does is unlock the torque converter and nothing happens for a little while - instead of a neck snap in a manual car

CVT is more positive but still mushy in shifts.... and otherwise annoying

Rich

I'd like DSG if it used the 1? ?3? 5? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | - | - |
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 2? 4? 6

pattern with a stickshift and no clutch.  The closest I've gotten to DSG is the CVT in the MINI Cooper, and to get from 6th to 3rd or 2nd takes a lot more time than it does in a traditional manual.? I don't believe that the DSG could shift from 6 to 2 as fast as a traditional manual can either, but I may be wrong.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ro51092

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 26, 2007, 01:33:51 PM
+ 2

Yeah, I asked a salesman last year at the auto show whether or not there would be a manual for the IS, and he said that the automatic with the flappy paddles provide "all the fun of a manual without the clutch". I responded "but the clutch IS most of the fun of going manual". He just turned away and answered another question.

TheIntrepid

Rohan: It's because you're brown. ;)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Whatever guys:  automatic trannies FTW!!!1
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3095868

it looks to be 2 inches longer and about 2 inches wider then the current A4... the front overhang is reduced, but still looks substantial

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2007, 09:56:04 AM
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3095868

it looks to be 2 inches longer and about 2 inches wider then the current A4... the front overhang is reduced, but still looks substantial

Even if the weight distribution is improved it will only be AWD or FWD so feel will be very different from a RWD car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

it still looks like the engine is sitting on the front wheels -shrug-

ChrisV

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 27, 2007, 11:35:53 AM
Even if the weight distribution is improved it will only be AWD or FWD so feel will be very different from a RWD car.

And a good enthusiast driver can adapt his style to fit any kind of car and have fun, rather than require every car to fit his style of driving in order to enjoy it. ;)

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2007, 01:42:29 PM
it still looks like the engine is sitting on the front wheels -shrug-

it is, but the trans is more behind the front wheels and the rear of the engine is behind the centerline, unlike before. With the light engine, the weight is carried more evenly front to rear, especially with the rest of the car's mass factored in (and the driver and passenger)

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2007, 01:54:59 PM
any traditional automatic mucks up the feel with the torque converter (usually they are not locked up full time - although the newer Lexus 8 speed is in gears 3-8)... so typically you nab the gas and the first thing it does is unlock the torque converter and nothing happens for a little while - instead of a neck snap in a manual car

The slushy feeling in the torque converter when it's unlocked is one of my biggest complaints about an automatic. 

The other is that, without direct control over the amount of "slip" in the drivetrain as you have with a clutch pedal, it's harder to modulate how much torque goes to the wheels when launching on slick, snowy surfaces where you really need finer levels of control (especially in a 2WD with an open diff).

I haven't driven a DSG or automated SMG, but I suspect these suffer in this regard as well.

My other complaint about manually shifted automatics is that the downshifts tend to be jerky.  I know some newer manumatics rev-match downshifts, but these tend to be in higher end cars.  A lot of more affordable cars (and all of the examples I've driven) with manumatics do not rev match and the result is shifts that are much jerkier than what I can accomplish with a regular old manual gearbox... and I absolutely hate jerky downshifts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5