E92 BMW M3 breaks cover

Started by sportyaccordy, February 24, 2007, 01:11:04 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 26, 2007, 09:09:51 AM
Sportyaccordy's reasoning is right, but that brings a question to mind. If I can go to a junkyard and find a wrecked Audi S6 and take the 5.2V10 out of it for cheap, a few grand $5-10k, why wouldn't I put that into an A6 3.2 and call it an S6? ;)

Sorry man, your scenario is about as illogical as mine. :P

:rolleyes:

People forget, with aftermarket parts, when you sell the car you can always go back to stock and sell the parts. All the suspension stuff and the LSD can be picked off the car and sold for a decent price... probably close to the ratio of depriciation or better if you wait. Yes, you get killed on labor, but I'm sure the M3 has much higher maintenance costs, so IMO it all pans out. Plus, you'd be surprised to know what you could get away with in a warrantee. The only thing that probably wouldn't be covered, unfortunately, is the engine.

Raghavan

Sportyaccordy's right, selling all the stock stuff will offset the cost considerably. That's how people do the GRM challenge, and some even get a car and some money back in their pocket by selling stuff.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 26, 2007, 10:53:22 AM
:rolleyes:

People forget, with aftermarket parts, when you sell the car you can always go back to stock and sell the parts. All the suspension stuff and the LSD can be picked off the car and sold for a decent price... probably close to the ratio of depriciation or better if you wait. Yes, you get killed on labor, but I'm sure the M3 has much higher maintenance costs, so IMO it all pans out. Plus, you'd be surprised to know what you could get away with in a warrantee. The only thing that probably wouldn't be covered, unfortunately, is the engine.

Why would an M3 have higher maintenance costs than an off-warranty, highly modified 335?

And doesn't BMW cover routine maintenance for 4/50k or something like that?

Argue all you want, the economics don't work in favor of the 335 if you truly want to make it the performance equal of the M3.

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 26, 2007, 09:09:51 AM
Sportyaccordy's reasoning is right, but that brings a question to mind. If I can go to a junkyard and find a wrecked Audi S6 and take the 5.2V10 out of it for cheap, a few grand $5-10k, why wouldn't I put that into an A6 3.2 and call it an S6? ;)

Sorry man, your scenario is about as illogical as mine. :P

Not even close, you blow him out of the park as far as lack of logic is concerned. In your scenario It would probably run at least $20k to buy and install a S6 engine and the rest of the drivetrain and another $5k to even dream of matching the S6's handling. That is $25k on top of $48k for a decently equipped A6 3.2 for a total of $73k for a used car (an engine from a wrecked car would have mileage on it) with no warranty.

nickdrinkwater

Wasn't someone on here (sander the shark?) getting a 335i?

SVT_Power

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 26, 2007, 12:22:44 AM
Seconded....

They could bring back the E39 M5 while they're at it...

Yes. Definitely.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 26, 2007, 03:00:40 PM
Wasn't someone on here (sander the shark?) getting a 335i?

Sander apparently got one
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raghavan on February 26, 2007, 10:58:41 AM
Sportyaccordy's right, selling all the stock stuff will offset the cost considerably. That's how people do the GRM challenge, and some even get a car and some money back in their pocket by selling stuff.
I think Sporty meant to sell the aftermarket parts when you sell the car, however I think that might be pretty illogical if you pay someone else to do the labor (especially with the suspension and differential).  Your idea (selling the stock stuff to offset the new parts), though, is very appealing.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Colonel Cadillac

I wonder what the M3 convertible will weigh. The hardtop-convertible 335i is in the 3900's (over 300 lbs heavier than the coupe I believe). I hope the M3 convertible has a soft-top, but it doesn't make financial sense to make it with a soft-top.

VTEC_Inside

All this talk about modding a 335 and no one mentioned the most important thing....

The ///M Stickers...   
:devil:
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

LonghornTX

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 27, 2007, 12:41:12 PM
I wonder what the M3 convertible will weigh. The hardtop-convertible 335i is in the 3900's (over 300 lbs heavier than the coupe I believe). I hope the M3 convertible has a soft-top, but it doesn't make financial sense to make it with a soft-top.
A CF hardtop convertable has been proposed for the M3.  Who knows if we will see it  :huh:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 27, 2007, 01:56:53 PM
A CF hardtop convertable has been proposed for the M3. Who knows if we will see it :huh:.

LOL, that will be the day.

Minpin

I'll take my coupe in black BMW. Thanks.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Lebowski

Minpin

I have a coupe now and love it. For where im at in life right now i have no need for 4 doors. I think ill be on the losing side of this argument but i prefer the looks of the coupe over the 4 door.  :huh:

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on February 27, 2007, 05:35:34 PM
I have a coupe now and love it. For where im at in life right now i have no need for 4 doors. I think ill be on the losing side of this argument but i prefer the looks of the coupe over the 4 door.  :huh:

You are on the losing side. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

sandertheshark

I'm with you.

Minpin

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 27, 2007, 05:56:36 PM
I'm with you.

Can we get pics of your car? I love that thing also.  :lol:

btw i hope you didnt post them already somewhere  :P

sandertheshark

Quote from: Minpin on February 27, 2007, 05:58:13 PM
Can we get pics of your car? I love that thing also.  :lol:

btw i hope you didnt post them already somewhere  :P
Everybody wants pics of my car.  But she's very shy.

(Also it's technically illegal for me to share personal information over the internet because of the nature of my work.  I'm not sure if pics of my car would count as such, but it's a convenient excuse.)

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 27, 2007, 06:08:05 PM
Everybody wants pics of my car.  But she's very shy.

(Also it's technically illegal for me to share personal information over the internet because of the nature of my work.  I'm not sure if pics of my car would count as such, but it's a convenient excuse.)

Aren't you an exotic dancer?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Minpin

I bet you fly helicopters for the air force. <<<<<im smart today>>>>>   :lol: :lol:

sandertheshark

Quote from: Minpin on February 27, 2007, 06:17:41 PM
I bet you fly helicopters for the air force. <<<<<im smart today>>>>>   :lol: :lol:
No, actually I do liaison work for the company that builds those helicopters.

Minpin

Galaxy

ChrisV

Same here.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Galaxy- those pictures are "renderings"

I wish it looked like that though... however, one could also just get a 328i with nice wheels and a lowered suspension too...