The Formula1 cars of the 2007 season

Started by Galaxy, February 27, 2007, 10:16:20 AM

FordSVT

The Ferrari and the Williams are my favorites, they're the most traditional looking. The McLaren DOES look like a spaceship or something, maybe a Transformer. I think the paint scheme helps exaggerate the countours of the body though. Most of these are over-engineered, wind-tunneled-to-death, vehicular monstrousities. FUGLY.

Apparently there's F1 racing technology in every Honda.... I wonder if that's the styling direction of the next Accord?  :lol:
-FordSVT-

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2007, 10:51:20 AM
Anyone else see the irony in advertising some sort of environmental cause on a 4mpg, non pollution-controlled race car?

It is much worse than that with last years qualifying rules. You see the cars that make it to the third part of qualifying have to start the race with the amount of fuel they start the final part of qualifying with, however the teams want the cars to be as light as possible at the end of the last part of qualifying to get the best possible time. So for the first 10 minutes or so of the third part of qualifying they have to consume as much fuel as possible. There was even a radio signal from the Renault command stand to Alonso broadcast on TV, where the crew told him to change an engine setting to use up more fuel.

Fortunately that will apparently be different this year.

On a more positive note, the FIA has apparently bought trees that consume the amount of CO2 that F1 cars produced since 1997. Hybrid technology will also make a deput in the future. Proberly starting in the 2009 season.

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on February 27, 2007, 01:27:56 PM
Or show up to a local autoX with one...

Just make sure you are not entering an endurance race.  :ohyeah:

Galaxy

As to the critic concerning the races, yes there are certainly problems, many races have been more parades then real races, however there where some very enjoyable, exciting races last season and there should be more fun this season with the hard as rock tires which will drastically reduce traction compared with the ones from last season which almost fused the car onto the track.

ChrisV

How many more winglets do you suppose can be stuck on these cars?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Galaxy

Quote from: ChrisV on February 28, 2007, 08:08:43 AM
How many more winglets do you suppose can be stuck on these cars?

On a maximum downforce track like Monaco the aero engineers are very imaginative.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

FoMoJo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 27, 2007, 09:30:55 PM
I once watched part of an F1 race that was on a tape of a WRC event from the Speed Channel. I really tried hard to like it, but it's just not that interesting. Way better than NASCAR (what isn't), but still.
You'd almost need to watch a full season in order to find out whether it really appealed to you or not, imo.  The actual race is only a part of the overall attraction.  Much has to do with the technology and the personel...drivers, designers, etc.  That they can sqeeze almost 800hp out of a naturally aspirated 2.4 litre V8 is pretty astounding.  Realizing the number of 'ignitions' for a single cylinder, or for all 8 cylinders, at 20,000 rpm is really astounding...can you really explode pump fuel that rapidly :confused:?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

After the switch to V8s, I started to pay more attention.  There was more passing, and the driving was better.  Still not very creative, but good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: FordSVT on February 28, 2007, 06:08:40 AM

Apparently there's F1 racing technology in every Honda.... I wonder if that's the styling direction of the next Accord?? :lol:
-FordSVT-
Let's hope that they don't start using their F1 engine technology...I'd hate to have my lawn-mower engine explode in a patch of long grass :lol:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

According to reports the Honda car will only see one race. With the second race a completly revamped version will debut.

Toyota has now changed their nose section.

FordSVT

Quote from: Galaxy on March 05, 2007, 04:16:35 PM
According to reports the Honda car will only see one race. With the second race a completly revamped version will debut.

Toyota has now changed their nose section.

Yes, that looks much more like the Camry's nose.
-FordSVT-

FoMoJo

The F1 season kicks off at Melbourne this Sunday! :thumbsup:

For those in North America, it will be available on SPEED channel at 10:30 PM Saturday (11:00 PM race time) Eastern Time.

From the pre-season reports, it seems that...Ferrari (Massa) is the one to beat; I think Kimi will have something to say about that...Renault and McLaren are strong contenders...Williams is further ahead than expected...Red Bull is further behind than expected...as for Button in his Honda; the good news is that he should finish the race without the engine exploding; the bad news is that he may be in last place...Toyota remains a mystery...BMW should put on a pretty good show...the other two teams; well, who really cares.

For me, I will be interested in seeing how Lewis Hamilton does in the number 2 McLaren; in comparison to Alonso.? Will Kimi break the Ferrari; or will he beat Massa.? Will Williams, now running a Toyota engine, beat Toyota...probably.

It should be interesting :praise:!