Sexiest Civic

Started by AKL, March 01, 2007, 05:53:54 PM

JYODER240

The last car from 'yota that interested me was the MR-2 spyder. I love some of their older stuff, I work with a guy that has a all-trac Celica :rockon:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

thewizard16

I miss the good days of the Celica and MR2. Those were nice cars at good prices. I still fail to understand why they killed them off when they could have redesigned them and probably put the hurt on the Eclipse, and maybe the Miata. Scion certainly didn't come out with anything to replace it. Silly decision, it's not as if they couldn't afford it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

JYODER240

I know it would be nice if they made some edgy cars like the old Celica's and MR2's.

The Pirate

I still really like the Tacoma, but other than that, nothing Toyota makes is particularly compelling to me.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

FordSVT

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 07, 2007, 10:53:15 AM
Ugly is purely subjective. I personally love the look of my SE...especially with the factory body kit.

Again, here we go with the same argument. Yoder there's a reason the Camry is one of the bestselling cars on the market. It's because it's cheap, smooth, and reliable as fuck.

Correct, and even when they stop being more reliable than other cars people will still buy them over other cars because they're reliable. I wouldn't call them cheap though, they don't sell for much less than sticker and Toyota financing sucks.
-FordSVT-

thewizard16

Quote from: FordSVT on March 07, 2007, 11:10:56 AM
Correct, and even when they stop being more reliable than other cars people will still buy them over other cars because they're reliable. I wouldn't call them cheap though, they don't sell for much less than sticker and Toyota financing sucks.
-FordSVT-
True. I can't complain however, my car's a 92, and it's never been in the shop for more than scheduled maintenance, so I'm impressed with it. However, it has been well maintained, and I know the previous owners, and that can count for a lot in the reliability of a vehicle.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 07, 2007, 10:53:15 AM
Ugly is purely subjective. I personally love the look of my SE...especially with the factory body kit.

Again, here we go with the same argument. Yoder there's a reason the Camry is one of the bestselling cars on the market. It's because it's cheap, smooth, and reliable as fuck.

So you're saying that high sales means its a good car?  The F-150 easily out sells any other truck yet I highly doubt anyone here would say its the best.

sportyaccordy

The old sales argument is bunk. By that logic, Britney Spears is a more talented singer than someone like Erykah Badu...

FOR THE MOST PART, things that are popular sell because of their ubiquity... as long as there are no disruptions it's a self-fulfilling cycle.

TheIntrepid

The IS250 AWD has been added to my potential new car list.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Besides the excessive body roll, the Accord isn't that bad actually.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 07, 2007, 12:09:23 PM
The IS250 AWD has been added to my potential new car list.

I thought you hated cars with cramped interiors? Those have even less room up front than my car. The rear seat is almost impossible for anyone over 6ft as well.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 07, 2007, 01:38:17 PM
I thought you hated cars with cramped interiors? Those have even less room up front than my car. The rear seat is almost impossible for anyone over 6ft as well.

Haven't been in one yet. A squeaky clean black/black one passed me today. It looked hot.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

What's that Corolla with the Yamaha engine like? What is it, the XRS?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

The Pirate

Quote from: Tave on March 07, 2007, 10:37:36 PM
What's that Corolla with the Yamaha engine like? What is it, the XRS?

Are you thinking of the Matrix XRS?  It had the 1.8L mill from the Celica GT-S, which was tweaked by Yamaha IIRC.  I wasn't aware of it being available in the Corolla though.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on March 07, 2007, 10:42:54 PM
It is.

What, the Corolla does come with that engine?  Hmmm, that wouldn't be a totally boring car.

Raghavan

thewizard16

Correction, it was. They quit selling the XRS.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

omicron

*Generic Contribution For The Sake Of Placating Ragabobble*

Raghavan

Quote from: omicron on March 07, 2007, 11:07:05 PM
*Generic Contribution For The Sake Of Placating Ragabobble*
Why does Omi hate me??? :cry:

And it figures, Toyota axes anything remotely fun.

ChrisV

Quote from: Tave on March 05, 2007, 09:39:57 PM
On the other hand the civic isn't sending power to the rear wheels.

Wings aren't necessarily for accellerative traction, except in drag racing. And FWD cars need even more stability in the rear for cornering.

While this car is obviously outfitted because the owner thinks it looks better, rear wings on fast FWD cars work even at low speeds.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 06, 2007, 07:16:44 AM
LOL at all those who think spoilers do anything on sedans other than add cosmetic value.

Ever see a Touring class FWD sedan racer?

wings can indeed work on sedans, too. I realize you were talking about cars like the intrepid, but you need to word your opinions clearer so you don't look like a moron. 'k?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FordSVT

Quote from: The Pirate on March 07, 2007, 10:44:49 PM

What, the Corolla does come with that engine?? Hmmm, that wouldn't be a totally boring car.

I've driven one, and the rest of the car is just as boring as a regular Corolla. It doesn't rev as high as the engine in the Celica, so it makes slightly less power. Other than the skirts and wheels, it's nothing special, suspension still sucks, car still feels vanilla. Doesn't feel like 164 hp either (125 lb ft of torque?  :rolleyes: ), my Mazda feels faster and gets faster 0-60 times in magazines, even though the Corolla weighs 200 lb less. And did I mention the 6-speed shifter is a rubbery POS? I think it might be the same one in the Matrix. Transmissions are the one thing Toyota seems to genuinely suck at. If you want A-B transportation you have to keep for ten years, buy a Corolla. If you want something with some jazz, buy a Civic or a Mazda 3 or even !gasp! a G5/Cobalt.
-FordSVT-

Tave

Quote from: ChrisV on March 08, 2007, 06:33:39 AM
Wings aren't necessarily for accellerative traction, except in drag racing. And FWD cars need even more stability in the rear for cornering.

While this car is obviously outfitted because the owner thinks it looks better, rear wings on fast FWD cars work even at low speeds.

While they're not specifically for accelarative traction, they do have an effect upon it. A wing, expecially a huge one, is going to shift the balance of mass to the rear of the car, won't it? In that case, it would lighten the load on the drive wheels, if only just a little.

It seems to me like a lot of FWD cars would reach terminal understeer long before their rear-ends start getting squigly

And yeah, I  have no problem with wings on cars. I think they can look very sharp, especially when they have an integrated brake light (like my friend's Teg GSR).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Where did anyone come up with the idea that beauty (and what is ugly) is purely subjective? 

That's horribly incorrect.  There is some subjectivity to it, but for the most part, beauty is a science.  It's in people, and it's in cars as well.  Styling can be to one's taste of not to one's taste, but generally, you can't just style a car into beauty. 

As I've said a hundred times before, styling is subjective; design is not.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7959.msg382611#msg382611 date=1173374083
There is some subjectivity to it, but for the most part, beauty is a science.?

But a very inexact one. ;)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Quote from: ChrisV on March 08, 2007, 06:35:27 AM
Ever see a Touring class FWD sedan racer?

wings can indeed work on sedans, too. I realize you were talking about cars like the intrepid, but you need to word your opinions clearer so you don't look like a moron. 'k?
The front wheels look very light in that pic... Isn't it better to not have a wing in FWD cars?

the Teuton

When one of my friends bought his first car, a 1994 Camry 4 banger, I took it for an autocrossing in my alma mater's parking lot and scared the hell out of him.  The tires are soft, the steering is slow, and the suspension makes the stock one on my Impreza look like a Ferrari, but it's reliable, big, and gets 30 mpg.

Early 1990s Toyotas do rock, though.  One of my college friends has a 850 rwhp Supra that he modified and my only wish is that I could go to NJ and take it for a testdrive.  It looks like an amazing car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7959.msg383132#msg383132 date=1173411344
It's all about proportions.

I'm not so sure, I think beauty is a function of ideology more than anything else. Five hundred years ago, larger women were the standard of beauty and people thought that the heavens orbited the earth.  Centuries later, we have successfully proven a heliocentric model of the universe and value thinner women. The scientific model has been corrected, and we now know that the people who came up with the previous one were flat-out wrong. Can we say that those same people who valued larger women were wrong? That their standard of beauty was incorrect? I don't think so.

I realize this is a flimsy analogy, but oh well.