17 Months....

Started by Raza , March 03, 2007, 08:59:36 PM

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on March 04, 2007, 11:02:03 AM
The Malibu er....9-3 :devil:

What year?  I mean, I'd want the Viggen, but it would be a 1999 and that's 9 years old on a car that could easily have 9 years of questionable history. 

I drove the 9-3 Aero in 2004, and I don't think I'd get it over the Passat.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raza  on March 04, 2007, 11:14:21 AM
What year?  I mean, I'd want the Viggen, but it would be a 1999 and that's 9 years old on a car that could easily have 9 years of questionable history. 

I drove the 9-3 Aero in 2004, and I don't think I'd get it over the Passat.

Hmmm, well that settles that. 

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

The Pirate

Passat wagon all the way.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

You never responded to the SVT Focus (which I believe does in fact come standard with a sunroof).

And, the Viggen was available after 1999.

ro51092

It does come with a sunroof.

I'd get an A4 GTI before an SVT Focus

mazda6er

In all honesty, I don't think you'd be satisfied with a Mazda6. It's too big for your tastes. It's too big for my tastes. :P I'd say you'd probably be happiest with a C-Class, 3-Series or WRX. Personally, if I already had a Boxter, I'd go WRX wagon.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ro51092

I think the 3er or the WRX would be best for him.

Hold on, by the time you are ready to buy, the A5 GTI will be in your range!

TBR

Quote from: ro51092 on March 04, 2007, 12:39:41 PM
It does come with a sunroof.

I'd get an A4 GTI before an SVT Focus

The A4 GTI is an old man's car compared to the Focus.

TBR

Raza, what about a Z3 coupe?

Raghavan

Ok, since the SVT Focus does have a sunroof, what do you think about it? It'd be what, 5-6 years old, not too bad.

The Pirate

The SVT Focus comes with a sunroof standard.  I will be test driving some Foci (including an SVT one if available in the near future).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sportyaccordy

E46 325i PP friend... accept nothing less

Raza

Quote from: TBR on March 04, 2007, 12:33:38 PM
You never responded to the SVT Focus (which I believe does in fact come standard with a sunroof).

And, the Viggen was available after 1999.

Yeah, but the Lightning Blue 3 door was only available in 1999.

And I don't think the Focus is for me, really.  A good car, but not a front runner.  I'll keep it on the list though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on March 04, 2007, 12:46:49 PM
Raza, what about a Z3 coupe?

That's possible.  Even the 240bhp M coupes are dropping into that range, but I don't think it's practical enough.  Having two two seaters is a little silly, isn't it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Why not an old shape Jetta (Bora)?  Or is that too small?

Raza

Quote from: TBR on March 04, 2007, 12:44:28 PM
The A4 GTI is an old man's car compared to the Focus.

You're right.  The SVT Focus (I'd be looking at the 3 door) is a good car, and definitely more agile than the MkIV GTI.  I should give it some more serious consideration. 

Nice looking, cheap, reliable, unassuming.  It's a good commuter that can easily turn into a fun car for days when I take the long way home from work

"The SVT Focus is the only car here that would have its rear wheels coaxed into a slide. It rotates beautifully and can be set into a steady four-wheel drift at will. Only in extreme situations would this playfulness pose a problem for the injudicious driver. Our emergency-lane-change maneuver is one such situation. The SVT posted the best time through the gates?a significant 5.2 mph faster than the Civic?but it was also the only car that required some countersteer after the first gate to keep from spinning. Given this car's intent, we are not bothered in the least by this."

Hmmm... :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 04, 2007, 08:08:29 PM

Same reason he's opposed to a MkIV GTI:  Mexican-made VWs have questionable reliability.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 04, 2007, 08:08:29 PM

Same possible reliability issues as the GTI and not as practical.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Possibly a used S60R or V70R?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 04, 2007, 08:27:40 PM
Possibly a used S60R or V70R?

If it would fall into his price range by then, the V70R is probably the best suggestion. But finding a manual may not be easy.

VetteZ06

The 3's not a bad idea. You might be able to find a used Mazdaspeed3 for about $17,000 by the time you're looking to buy, but you could also get a new one (non-Mazdaspeed) nicely loaded for about the same money. Heck, you could even just get a used GT wagon with lots of extras (leather, sunroof, navigation, manual, heated seats, etc.) for that kind of money, probably less. It's not going to be as fast as the 'Speed3, but C&D got something like 7.4 0-60 when they tested a wagon a few years ago. It's worth a shot, and it would appear to satisfy all of your requirements quite well. The only problem is that it doesn't hold as much cargo as some of the larger cars you've listed.

JYODER240

Quote from: 850CSi on March 04, 2007, 08:56:00 PM
If it would fall into his price range by then, the V70R is probably the best suggestion. But finding a manual may not be easy.

Perhaps, but I figure that if someone is going for the top performance model there's a good chance they'll want a stick.

MX793

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 04, 2007, 08:58:49 PM
Perhaps, but I figure that if someone is going for the top performance model there's a good chance they'll want a stick.

You might be surprised.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ro51092

Have you seen the number of automatic Corvettes?

Oh, and it's still a Volvo. Sensible, boring, somewhat wealthy 40-year old men buy Volvos. That category does not give a shit about performance, only practicality, hence the automatic.

JYODER240

I'm going to have to disagree. The people who are going to buy the auto's are the one's going to buy the car for the image. Who buys a Volvo for the image? I think those people would go for the 3-series and c-classes.

J86

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 04, 2007, 09:08:54 PM
Who buys a Volvo for the image?

Come to New England, bro.

I like Volvos :praise:

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Such a sweet car.

I love the gauges.

ro51092

I like it, but it's too soft. I'd take a 3er before it.