Evaluating the Health of Your Clutch.... ?

Started by 850CSi, March 06, 2007, 12:09:55 AM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on March 07, 2007, 08:23:15 PM
The engine should stall if you let the clutch out in gear without raising rpm.

So let it out like you would normally? Both the Prelude and the Outback will go without gas if you let the clutch out slow enough.

The Pirate

No, let it out quickly.  It should grab, lurch and stall.  If not, there is a problem.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

So basically if you ever stall you're still good?

The Pirate

Basically, yes.  If the car will stall, it essentially means that clutch is still grabbing.  A clutch that is close to on it's way out would cruise ahead smoothly in that scenario, due to it slipping.

There are other factors as well, but a grabbing clutch is generally still in good shape.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

How about, if your clutch works fine, then don't worry about it?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Okay, then my clutch is definitely good :P (not that I stall all the time, but I do have those days).

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2007, 10:08:52 PM
How about, if your clutch works fine, then don't worry about it?

That's my philosophy.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 08, 2007, 09:13:25 PM
On level ground?

Yes.  Might not have quite been 20, I didn't have a huge run of space.  Definately in the teens.  I'll have to find a big level parking lot and try for 20 mph without touching the gas pedal.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

My brother truck goes 30+ when idling, it's ridiculous (302 with 4AT).

Raghavan

I'll have to see how fast the Accord goes when it's idling...

850CSi

Quote from: The Pirate on March 06, 2007, 06:08:13 PM
I've done this accidentally, and it's a sure way to check your clutch:? When stationary, let the clutch out while the car is running and in gear.? When I did it, I thought it was in neutral, and never bothered to check before I let the clutch out.

You'll still stall, even with a bad clutch. Also, if I let it out slowly, the car won't likely stall, it'll roll, partially because of the delay valve.

S204STi

Like Faris said, even with a moderately worn clutch you might still stall if you just pop it.? I recommend Pancor's method of loading it in 3rd or 4th gear on a hill.? If it is very lurchy/jumpy, you likely have a worn out clutch.

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on March 10, 2007, 10:26:28 PM
You'll still stall, even with a bad clutch. Also, if I let it out slowly, the car won't likely stall, it'll roll, partially because of the delay valve.

Yeah, but with a bad clutch it doesn't lurch and buck.  I didn't clarify this in my original post (actually, the whole post was rather vague).  I've done this in a car with a bad clutch, and it stalls, but it's a rather smooth, creamy stall.  With a good clutch, it will lunge your car into the rear of the car parked ahead of you.  :devil:

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on March 10, 2007, 10:30:01 PM
Yeah, but with a bad clutch it doesn't lurch and buck.? I didn't clarify this in my original post (actually, the whole post was rather vague).? I've done this in a car with a bad clutch, and it stalls, but it's a rather smooth, creamy stall.? With a good clutch, it will lunge your car into the rear of the car parked ahead of you.? :devil:

LOL :lol: "Smooth, creamy stall."

850CSi

My car bucks like a Bronco when I do something it doesn't like with the clutch.

The reason why I'm asking is this:
It may be just me, but I'm feeling like the clutch is a little lighter than when I bought the car (I like heavy clutches), and it vibrates a little more (ie I can feel more of the engine). I'm a bit obsessive over clutch health.

The Pirate

Your car is relatively low mileage, right?  My car has 116K HARD miles, and the clutch still feels great.  I would have to believe that a BMW clutch is going to be tougher than a Honda clutch.  It is probably a hydraulic clutch, you could try checking the fluid.  I wouldn't be too concerned though, the bucking means it's grabbing, and that's a good thing.  As far as being lighter, your clutch leg probably got stronger. 

If it self-grenades and blows all kinds of driveline parts all over Route 41, then you can worry.  :lol: 

Raghavan

I saw how fast the Accord goes when it idles... The speedo didn't even move. :banghead: :lol:

850CSi

Quote from: The Pirate on March 10, 2007, 10:53:43 PM
Your car is relatively low mileage, right?? My car has 116K HARD miles, and the clutch still feels great.? I would have to believe that a BMW clutch is going to be tougher than a Honda clutch.? It is probably a hydraulic clutch, you could try checking the fluid.? I wouldn't be too concerned though, the bucking means it's grabbing, and that's a good thing.? As far as being lighter, your clutch leg probably got stronger.?

It could defenitely be that, I was still rehabbing after knee reconstruction when I first started driving my car.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 08, 2007, 10:28:04 PM
Yes.  Might not have quite been 20, I didn't have a huge run of space.  Definately in the teens.  I'll have to find a big level parking lot and try for 20 mph without touching the gas pedal.

With the clutch all the way out?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 16, 2007, 09:43:45 PM
With the clutch all the way out?

Yes.  I put the car in first and ease the clutch out.  Then shift into 2nd once rolling and let the clutch out.  Then 3rd, then 4th...  Basically run through the gears without touching the gas.

I tried it the other day and got into 4th and the motor was lugging pretty badly.  Got up to maybe 13 mph.  But the engine was warm, as I had just gotten back from a 50 mile trip, and only idling at like 600 rpm.  With the engine cold and idling at 1000 rpm, I think it would go faster.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 16, 2007, 09:50:49 PM
Yes.  I put the car in first and ease the clutch out.  Then shift into 2nd once rolling and let the clutch out.  Then 3rd, then 4th...  Basically run through the gears without touching the gas.

I tried it the other day and got into 4th and the motor was lugging pretty badly.  Got up to maybe 13 mph.  But the engine was warm, as I had just gotten back from a 50 mile trip, and only idling at like 600 rpm.  With the engine cold and idling at 1000 rpm, I think it would go faster.

I didn't mean slowly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 16, 2007, 09:55:16 PM
I didn't mean slowly.

It doesn't take all that long since I shift once the motor is up to idle in each gear, which barely takes a second.
Needs more Jiggawatts