Slight VW Phaeton facelift

Started by Galaxy, March 06, 2007, 05:25:15 AM

Tave

I've never seen one outside of an auto show.

Or maybe I have and just thought it was a Passat.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 08, 2007, 01:47:30 PM
The difference is that the MB's are both very expensive. The Phaeton looks like a car that cost less then half it's price tag.

A base C class is less then half the price of a base S class to say nothing about the S 63 AMG.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on March 08, 2007, 02:49:59 PM
A base C class is less then half the price of a base S class to say nothing about the S 63 AMG.
True, however a C Class is a luxury car already whereas a Passat is not.  The point I'm trying to make is that VW's luxury sedan looks just like their run of the mill family sedan.  The Passat starts at 15,495 GBP and the Phaeton starts at 42,220 GBP and can go all the way up to 73,770 GBP.  If I was spending that much money on a car I wouldn't want it to look just like a car by the same manufacturer that goes for 80% less.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 08, 2007, 02:21:50 PM
I've never seen one outside of an auto show.

Or maybe I have and just thought it was a Passat.

I personally see nothing more than a family resemblance.  I can point them out easily on the road.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 08, 2007, 03:13:34 PM
True, however a C Class is a luxury car already whereas a Passat is not.  The point I'm trying to make is that VW's luxury sedan looks just like their run of the mill family sedan.  The Passat starts at 15,495 GBP and the Phaeton starts at 42,220 GBP and can go all the way up to 73,770 GBP.  If I was spending that much money on a car I wouldn't want it to look just like a car by the same manufacturer that goes for 80% less.

The base Phaeton was around 70K, and you can easily spend over 40K on a Passat 3.6 4Motion.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Phaeton base was $83,000 CAD new

I just built a 2007 Passat Wagon 3.6L 4Motion + DVDNav + BiXenons + Side Airbags + Sirius for $56,425

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8015.msg382890#msg382890 date=1173398273
and you can easily spend over 40K on a Passat 3.6 4Motion.

and that's a whole nother problem for another thread

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8015.msg382890#msg382890 date=1173398273
The base Phaeton was around 70K, and you can easily spend over 40K on a Passat 3.6 4Motion.
Yes but a loaded Phaeton is over $100K.

SVT666

Besides hasn't VW stopped selling the Phaeton in North America?  I can't find it on either the Canadian or US VW sites.  If that's the case, then European prices are what matter in this conversation.

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 08, 2007, 03:13:34 PM
True, however a C Class is a luxury car already whereas a Passat is not.

A C180 is more of a luxury car then a loaded Passat?  :huh:

At least the Phaeton does not have to share his badge with a garbage truck.  :evildude:

thewizard16

Quote from: Galaxy on March 09, 2007, 12:00:37 PM
A C180 is more of a luxury car then a loaded Passat? :huh:

At least the Phaeton does not have to share his badge with a garbage truck. :evildude:
He should have worded it is considered a luxury car whereas a Passat is not. There's no question that one without the high-end badge can be considerably nicer than the other, it still boils down to brand perception and status. Volkswagen isn't considered a luxury brand by the mainstream public, while Mercedes is, so one justifies the price and the other doesn't, in their minds, regardless of how the cars compare.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Galaxy

Quote from: thewizard16 on March 09, 2007, 12:03:57 PM
He should have worded it is considered a luxury car whereas a Passat is not. There's no question that one without the high-end badge can be considerably nicer than the other, it still boils down to brand perception and status. Volkswagen isn't considered a luxury brand by the mainstream public, while Mercedes is, so one justifies the price and the other doesn't, in their minds, regardless of how the cars compare.

True, but I live in a country where it is not uncommon for an S class to have a Golf as a stablemate.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Galaxy on March 09, 2007, 12:12:48 PM
True, but I live in a country where it is not uncommon for an S class to have a Golf as a stablemate.

well, in this country, S-classes commonly share garage space with Camries and Expeditions; that doesn't make the Toyota and Ford brands any classier :rolleyes:

Galaxy

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 09, 2007, 12:16:33 PM
well, in this country, S-classes commonly share garage space with Camries and Expeditions

You mean Lexus ES and Lincoln Navigator.  ;)

Seriously a large percentage of american S class owners also buys Camaries? 

Vinsanity

from what I've seen, yes

alot of financially-savvy S-class owners will also have a Camry in the driveway as their 'errand car' that eventually gets handed down to the next kid that turns 16

conversely, do a large percentage of European S-class owners seriously also buy Golfs? ;)

Galaxy

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 09, 2007, 12:35:40 PM
from what I've seen, yes

alot of financially-savvy S-class owners will also have a Camry in the driveway as their 'errand car' that eventually gets handed down to the next kid that turns 16

conversely, do a large percentage of European S-class owners seriously also buy Golfs? ;)

They do, although it has gotten less. There is a reason cars like the A class exist.

SVT666

I see million dollar homes in Calgary with a BMW or M-B and a Chevy Cavalier in the driveway.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2007, 01:30:48 PM
I see million dollar homes in Calgary with a BMW or M-B and a Chevy Cavalier in the driveway.

The nanny has to drive something to work...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

http://www.leftlanenews.com/surprise-vw-phaeton-to-return-to-us-market.html

Surprise: VW Phaeton to return to U.S. market

Volkswagen intends to reintroduce its Phaeton luxury sedan to the U.S. market, according to VW of America spokesman Andreas Meurer. Mr. Meurer made the announcement during an interview with Bloomberg.

Adrian Hallmark, the company's Executive Vice President, said VW expects its U.S. operations to break even in 2009. He said sales in 2007 would be flat, while the company focuses on preparing new models for 2008 and 2009.

Volkswagen pulled the Phaeton from the U.S. market in late 2005 due to poor sales. It's unclear when the Phaeton will return to America. Meurer said it would be reintroduced when the next version goes on sale worldwide.

It's not known if Meurer was referring to the facelifted 2008 Phaeton ? revealed last week and on sale this summer ? or the next-generation model due some time after 2009.

nickdrinkwater

If you can't tell a Phaeton from a Passat you must be blind.  The Phaeton is a much bigger car and exudes much more road presence than a Passat.  It's only in the nose I see more than a passing resemblance. 

The Pirate

I like the look of the Phaeton.  Were I to buy a $70K Euro sedan (not likely), it'd probably be between an Audi or the Phaeton.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on March 11, 2007, 07:57:37 PM
I like the look of the Phaeton.? Were I to buy a $70L Euro sedan (not likely), it'd probably be between an Audi or the Phaeton.
Which explains why I will be kicking you out of the Mustang club. :lol:

The Pirate

Hey now, my statute of limitation on buying a Mustang hasn't run out yet!  Besides, I'm going to need something for my future bride to drive.

:lol:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 12, 2007, 09:00:35 PM
Which explains why I will be kicking you out of the Mustang club. :lol:

wanna be the Head Bouncer of the Anti-VW Club? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 12, 2007, 09:13:33 PM
wanna be the Head Bouncer of the Anti-VW Club? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehehe, I have to respectfully decline.  You see, I secretly pine for a B5 Passat wagon.  :mask:  Call me a closet VW lover, I guess.  :lol:

Vinsanity

Quote from: The Pirate on March 12, 2007, 09:17:14 PM

Hehehe, I have to respectfully decline.? You see, I secretly pine for a B5 Passat wagon.? :mask:? Call me a closet VW lover, I guess.? :lol:

lol I was talking to Hemi, VW lover :evildude: ;)

The Pirate

Raghavan

C'mon... VW's aren't THAT bad...
Oh wait. Yes they are. :lol:

TheIntrepid

You know you're all just jealous and you all really wish that you had VW products. They're all better than your cars anyway.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Are you trying to not get beaten by Raza's shovel???