Help My Dad Get a New Car

Started by Eye of the Tiger, March 08, 2007, 06:32:59 AM

SVT666

Eye of the Tiger

Based on those dimensions, I think the Forester can be eliminated for being too tiny.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 08, 2007, 09:32:49 AM
Show your dad these pics http://www.carspin.net/forums/the-mainstream-room/hemis-new-car-pictures.0.html

I never saw that thread... I guess I was moving.
Looks good, it may even be on the edge of being too big... as in, it's so big, what's the point of trading the Sienna for it?
I know he wants cargo space more than a 3rd row of seats. I think the Element might be more practical in that sense. I'll have to see what he thinks.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2007, 09:07:01 AM
I think that might be too small... I dont' know, I bet it has nearly the same room inside as a Forester, but the Forester is taller.

It seems like the best choices so far are Forester, Element, RAV4, or Freestyle. If I could just narrow it down to three...

Of those four, I would go for the Forester, unequivocally.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8044.msg382604#msg382604 date=1173373520
Of those four, I would go for the Forester, unequivocally.

Second. I mentioned how much I like it over its competition in the Truck forum.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2007, 09:37:38 AM
I never saw that thread... I guess I was moving.
Looks good, it may even be on the edge of being too big... as in, it's so big, what's the point of trading the Sienna for it?
I know he wants cargo space more than a 3rd row of seats. I think the Element might be more practical in that sense. I'll have to see what he thinks.

You can just fold away the third row and have extra cargo space. It's not much smaller than the Sienna, but it handles better and gets better gas mileage.

the Teuton

I would love to recommend the Benign Tribeca, but I can't until the refresh next year with the 260+ hp engine and 9-6x styling cues. 

My pics would be the Freestyle, Outback or Legacy wagon, Toyota Highlander/RAV-4, or XL-7.  What's he need all of the space for?  If he has a band, I'd recommend a minivan.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

He has officially thrown out any possiblity of buying an Element, based on the fact that it is ugly as crap, plus he wants a V6... but I think he has become intrigued by the RAV4...

ro51092

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

IrishGuy

I second the Santa Fe...

...mainly because I want one  ;)
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Raza

Damn, that is a good looking SUV!  Hyundai is on a roll.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

The rear of the Santa Fe reminds me of another SUV

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

I showed him a Freestyle, he said it's too big. So far he likes the RAV4, Santa Fe and the CX-7.

Raghavan

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2007, 09:07:01 AM
I think that might be too small... I dont' know, I bet it has nearly the same room inside as a Forester, but the Forester is taller.

It seems like the best choices so far are Forester, Element, RAV4, or Freestyle. If I could just narrow it down to three...
Whats wrong with the 3.0 engine?

sandertheshark

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 08, 2007, 05:18:25 PM

Wow!  It's like they're the same car!

They both have wheels!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

And guess which one looks better?

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

OH, my dad has added a new criteria: must not be American. :lol:

TBR

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2007, 09:43:00 PM
Hyundai, duh  :rolleyes:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I personally think the Hyundai looks better (even on the inside, though I am sure the VW feels better).

As far as the latest criteria, that's stupid.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TBR on March 08, 2007, 10:06:04 PM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I personally think the Hyundai looks better (even on the inside, though I am sure the VW feels better).

As far as the latest criteria, that's stupid.

Yeah no, I really do like the Hyundai's looks better.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 08, 2007, 05:18:25 PM

Holy shit!  I can't tell which is which.  They look as much alike as any other SUV from the rear.  They both have a back window, red tailights, a bumper, a hatch, a roof rack, a high mount brake light, and their logos are in the same place.  Please! :rolleyes:

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on March 08, 2007, 10:04:54 PM
OH, my dad has added a new criteria: must not be American. :lol:
Tell him I blame him personally for the trade deficit.

Raghavan

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 08, 2007, 10:22:25 PM
Says the tool who personally went to Germany to buy his car. :rolleyes:

the Teuton

I know why I have anti-American car sentiment a lot of the time:  because I look on the used market and used imports are generally more reliable.  But if your dad is buying a car new, the American's are just as good these days.  If he's planning on keeping it a while, the Americans make even more sense.  If it's a short-term thing like the Sienna, then I think he should just get a RAV4 because he's almost shutting himself into that not-too-big, not-too-small, V6, SUV-like thing.  It's a conservative move, but it really seems like what he wants.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

The whole imports are generally more reliable is bull. Yes, some domestics have reliability problems, but so do some imports. Just an example, there are few cars more reliable than any GM with the 3.8l.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raghavan on March 08, 2007, 10:25:39 PM
Says the tool who personally went to Germany to buy his car. :rolleyes:
:evildude:

But I don't have anything against American cars in general.  I was a blink away from buying a Pontiac GTO... oh wait a minute...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 08, 2007, 10:22:25 PM

Up until the Sienna that he drives now, he has always bought American, and they have always had more than their fair share of problems. I think my dad has given American cars brands more than a fair chance, and now he's tired of their crap. Maybe you should blame certain American car companies for your trade deficit?

After driving Chevys, Fords and Chryslers for all of his life, I think it's great that he's wants to try the "import" brands.