Help My Dad Get a New Car

Started by Eye of the Tiger, March 08, 2007, 06:32:59 AM

SVT666

I have only owned one foreign car (an old...and I mean old Civic).  Every other car I've had have been GM, Ford, and Chrysler.  The most reliable cars I had were my last Mustang and my Ram.  I had absolutely zero problems with either of them.

MrH

I saw a Ford Edge in person the other day.  Loved how it looks.  :rockon:

And I've always been a Murano fan.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on March 09, 2007, 08:36:23 AM
I saw a Ford Edge in person the other day.? Loved how it looks.? :rockon:

And I've always been a Murano fan.
I got a ride in an Edge a couple weeks back and it was very nice.

ifcar

The Edge is overweight for its size, and poorly packaged inside. An Escape has the same cargo space and a more comfortable rear seat.

Eye of the Tiger

To me, it seem pretty pointless to choose the Edge over the Freestyle.
Murano is also something he liked... he said yesterday he doesn't want a "station wagon". He needs something he can pick up chicks in!  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on March 09, 2007, 03:26:26 PM
The Edge is overweight for its size, and poorly packaged inside. An Escape has the same cargo space and a more comfortable rear seat.
Well woopee!  I've ridden in both and both seemed pretty equal in all areas except the Edge had a nicer ride and more backseat legroom.

SJ_GTI

The Edge also gets a nicer engine and transmission, as well as way, way better looks.

But personally I'd rather have a CX-7, even if it is a bit slower.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on March 09, 2007, 03:38:20 PM
To me, it seem pretty pointless to choose the Edge over the Freestyle.
Murano is also something he liked... he said yesterday he doesn't want a "station wagon". He needs something he can pick up chicks in!? :lol:
The Edge is smaller then the Freestyle and doesn't look like a station wagon...which is what your dad wants from the sound of things.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2007, 03:45:07 PM
Well woopee!  I've ridden in both and both seemed pretty equal in all areas except the Edge had a nicer ride and more backseat legroom.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just bringing that up in case the Edge was named an option for NACar Sr.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2007, 03:46:21 PM
The Edge is smaller then the Freestyle and doesn't look like a station wagon...which is what your dad wants from the sound of things.

Smaller + heavier + equal in all other areas... well, that just doesnt' add up.

93JC

Suzuki Grand Vitara!!!!

I don't care what you nor the old man thinks, just convince him to test-drive it. It sounds like it the perfect size that he wants, and is much more 'carlike' than the previous generation and the Sidekick before that.

Seriously though, not to blow my own horn too much, but I think it's a brilliant idea. He likes the Esteem, why not give another Suzuki product a go?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on March 09, 2007, 03:51:06 PM
Suzuki Grand Vitara!!!!

I don't care what you nor the old man thinks, just convince him to test-drive it. It sounds like it the perfect size that he wants, and is much more 'carlike' than the previous generation and the Sidekick before that.

Seriously though, not to blow my own horn too much, but I think it's a brilliant idea. He likes the Esteem, why not give another Suzuki product a go?

He wants something with some power now, I told him the RAV4 had a beast of an engine, and he liked that. That has never been a strong point for the Vitara.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on March 09, 2007, 03:26:26 PM

The Escape is the slowest vehicle ever.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

93JC

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 09, 2007, 04:10:01 PM
The Escape is the slowest vehicle ever.

You are the slowest vehicle ever.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on March 09, 2007, 04:10:27 PM
You are the slowest vehicle ever.

:evildude:

No seriously... wasn't the Escape one of C&D's 10worst accelerators at one point?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 09, 2007, 04:11:05 PM
:evildude:

No seriously... wasn't the Escape one of C&D's 10worst accelerators at one point?

Yeah, the 4cyl automatic was... but the V-6 is fairly quick.

TheIntrepid

Oh I see. How about an Escape Hybrid?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 09, 2007, 04:14:43 PM
Oh I see. How about an Escape Hybrid?

That's probably very slow as well, what's your point?

TheIntrepid

I wasn't sure if it came with an I-4+Elec or the V6+Elec. If it's the V6+Elec it may not be too bad.

ifcar

It's 4-cylinder plus hybrid.

But C/D's "slowest" doesn't mean much, it just means the slowest vehicle that they happened to test in the previous twelve months.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on March 09, 2007, 04:19:47 PM
But C/D's "slowest" doesn't mean much, it just means the slowest vehicle that they happened to test in the previous twelve months.

:confused:

Which definitely means it is slower than most of its competitors...if not all.

chevyguy06

'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 09, 2007, 04:22:02 PM
:confused:

Which definitely means it is slower than most of its competitors...if not all.

No, it's slower than whatever competitors C/D had its hands on in the past twelve months. Unless that year included a comparison test of all small SUVs, it was only slower than whatever competitors were new at about the same time.