Aston Martin SOLD!!!

Started by SVT666, March 09, 2007, 08:47:43 AM

SVT666

The deal is virtually done.  Just the small details are left to hammer out, but Ford is expected to announce the deal.  The buyer is Prodrive.  I think this would be a great deal since Prodrive already build the racing versions of the Astons, and they have been looking for a manufacturer to build their own unique car...the P2.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/reports-aston-martin-likely-sold-to-prodrive.html

Nethead

This is great!  Too bad they couldn't have insisted that ProDrive had to buy Jaguar, too!
So many stairs...so little time...

Raghavan

Nice!
Prodrive is a great company.

nickdrinkwater

Why are Ford even selling AM?

At least they've found a better buyer than Louis Vuitton.

Tave

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 09, 2007, 09:29:37 AM

My thoughts exactly. I thought Aston was doing fine, especially with the introduction of the AMV8.

Prodrive is the company that races Ferraris, right? At least they'll be serious about the transition and not pull another Russian playboy ala TVR.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 09, 2007, 09:29:37 AM

Ford needs the cash.  Of the brands that they could part with, Aston is the only one that anybody would be willing to buy.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: Tave on March 09, 2007, 09:33:50 AM
My thoughts exactly. I thought Aston was doing fine, especially with the introduction of the AMV8.

Prodrive is the company that races Ferraris, right? At least they'll be serious about the transition and not pull another Russian playboy ala TVR.

Prodrive runs Aston Martin's racing team, so it's a fitting purchase.  They know the brand.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

nickdrinkwater

I thought AM were one of Ford's only profitable brands.

The Pirate

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 09, 2007, 09:37:58 AM
I thought AM were one of Ford's only profitable brands.

Hence the ease of selling it. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: The Pirate on March 09, 2007, 09:50:20 AM

Hence the ease of selling it. 

But also asks the question of why they would.

The Pirate

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 09, 2007, 09:55:43 AM

My guess is that they will use the cash from the sale to try to revitalize some of their other brands.  Long term, it's certainly better to have 3 or 4 profitable brands than 8 that are just breaking even.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

While profitable, it wasn't a large enough brand to make huge sums of money.  It's a small, niche brand like Maserati, not a bread and butter mainstream brand like Ford.  Ford is in pretty dire need of cash.  IIRC, they put a bunch of their production facilities up as collateral for a loan not too long ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on March 09, 2007, 10:01:32 AM
While profitable, it wasn't a large enough brand to make huge sums of money.? It's a small, niche brand like Maserati, not a bread and butter mainstream brand like Ford.? Ford is in pretty dire need of cash.? IIRC, they put a bunch of their production facilities up as collateral for a loan not too long ago.
They put every single asset up as collateral including the building their head office is in.  Everything they own is on the line.

JYODER240

The only thing that concerns me is the reliebility of future AM cars. They already have issues while under Ford, I can't imagine that things will get better under a small company that builds race cars.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Submariner

Hopefully they will invest heavily in AM, or at least know how to build them properly.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 09, 2007, 10:38:43 AM
The only thing that concerns me is the reliebility of future AM cars. They already have issues while under Ford, I can't imagine that things will get better under a small company that builds race cars.
Ford will still have a small share in the company so I'm sure they will still supply engines.  I'm also pretty sure that Ford's suppliers will still be there for them.

FoMoJo

I'm surprised that Prodrive would have the finances to buy Aston Martin...unless they worked out a very favourable deal with Ford.  My knowledge of Prodrive is pretty skimpy but I know that they've managed the Subaru WRC team for a number of years and Dave Richards, one of the Prodrive founders, was the team manager of BAR/Honda for a couple of years...as well as their involvement with Aston Racing and some minor teams.  Another point of interest as well, is that Prodrive stand a good chance of having an F1 team.  If they actually do acquire Aston, it would be interesting to see whether the Aston Martin name is featured on that team.

If it's true, I hope it works out well for Aston Martin.  It would nice to see a great British marque succeed when owned and operated by an actual British company.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Well, at least Jaguar won't be handcuffed anymore.  Prodrive's a good company, and I see this as a good sign for Aston, unless Prodrive is stretching themselves too far financially.  But I guess since they do loads of racing, they should have plenty of cash.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Because $900 million tomorrow beats $10 million a year.

S204STi

That's exciting, I have always loved Prodrive as a company.

CMan

Couldn't possibly think of a better buyer for AM than Prodrive.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

r0tor

i thought i was going to feel sorry for Aston Martin when i first opened this thread... now, I'm excited as hell for them  :ohyeah:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FordSVT

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 09, 2007, 10:38:43 AM

AM is a relatively low-volume manufacturer and reliability data is hard to generate accurately, but having said that they're at least mid-pack in reliability. And, like Jaguar, Aston has improved their reliability dramatically since Ford took them over.
-FordSVT-

omicron

This seems fine. Prodrive owns 51% of Ford Performance Vehicles and all of Ford Performance Racing, so it is certainly able to build things with wheels and such.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on March 12, 2007, 01:22:11 AM
This seems fine. Prodrive owns 51% of Ford Performance Vehicles and all of Ford Performance Racing, so it is certainly able to build things with wheels and such.
Really? Wheels and everything?  :lol:

Seriously though, I didn't know they held that much interested in those companies.

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 12, 2007, 07:40:34 AM
Really? Wheels and everything? :lol:

Seriously though, I didn't know they held that much interested in those companies.

Yes, since mid-2004. Ford Australia holds 49% of FPV, and Prodrive the controlling stake, and they bought the Glenn Seton Racing Team outright and renamed it FPR at the same time.

Both companies seem to be doing quite well at the moment, so they have to be doing something right.

Nethead

This all sounds good to the Nethead here!  Hang in there, Aston Martin!

Raza

Quote from: CMan on March 10, 2007, 07:44:23 AM
Couldn't possibly think of a better buyer for AM than Prodrive.

I can. 

But I don't have the money on me right now.
:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Aston Martin To Unveil New DBX Supercar? ? ? ? ?from www.rpmplanets.com? ?
Saturday, 24 March 2007 Written by Matt Humphries? ? ?

When Prodrive purchased Aston Martin this month, everyone knew there would be changes made with the company.? However, no one could have predicted the things to come in the near future.? Aston Martin announced they were going to hurry the four door Aston, the Rapide, and the new DBS into production, but they also mentioned the real treat.? The new DBX supercar, aimed at Mercedes' SLR.? ?

The DBX is set to steal some of Mercedes Benz' customers with a planned 700 horsepower V12.? With a top speed of 205 miles per hour, and zero to sixty times of less than 3.7 seconds, the DBX is sure to get people's attention.? Better still, the V12 is set to be put into an all aluminum chassis, and mated to a six speed manual transmission.? Aston Martin feels that the manual gear box will entice more customers, providing a more racy feel.? ?Prodrive, who has done a lot of work on Aston's V8 Vantage, is set to handle the suspension and tuning of the DBX.

The DBX will be priced similarly to the SLR at around 500,000 dollars.? Not cheap, but it is sure to be worth the money.? Aston's new owner also plans to pick up production by 3,000 cars a year, bumping total production to 9,000 cars, by hiring more staff to handle the load.? It seems great things are soon to come from Aston Martin.? Stay tuned to RPM Planets as more news comes out and we start seeing the Rapide and DBX a lot more often.? ?

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on March 26, 2007, 10:21:23 AM
Aston Martin To Unveil New DBX Supercar? ? ? ? ?from www.rpmplanets.com? ?
Saturday, 24 March 2007 Written by Matt Humphries? ? ?

When Prodrive purchased Aston Martin this month, everyone knew there would be changes made with the company.? However, no one could have predicted the things to come in the near future.? Aston Martin announced they were going to hurry the four door Aston, the Rapide, and the new DBS into production, but they also mentioned the real treat.? The new DBX supercar, aimed at Mercedes' SLR.? ?

The DBX is set to steal some of Mercedes Benz' customers with a planned 700 horsepower V12.? With a top speed of 205 miles per hour, and zero to sixty times of less than 3.7 seconds, the DBX is sure to get people's attention.? Better still, the V12 is set to be put into an all aluminum chassis, and mated to a six speed manual transmission.? Aston Martin feels that the manual gear box will entice more customers, providing a more racy feel.? ?Prodrive, who has done a lot of work on Aston's V8 Vantage, is set to handle the suspension and tuning of the DBX.

The DBX will be priced similarly to the SLR at around 500,000 dollars.? Not cheap, but it is sure to be worth the money.? Aston's new owner also plans to pick up production by 3,000 cars a year, bumping total production to 9,000 cars, by hiring more staff to handle the load.? It seems great things are soon to come from Aston Martin.? Stay tuned to RPM Planets as more news comes out and we start seeing the Rapide and DBX a lot more often.? ?

I like the sound of things to come.