German Thundercars! (Caution 56k)

Started by the Teuton, March 12, 2007, 02:41:12 PM

the Teuton

Here's a scan of my January 1991 Road and Track.  Enjoy!

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Pancor

Vinsanity

I couldn't help but notice that in 1991 the M cost $56k (same as an E46 M3 in real dollars) and the 190 cost $72k (same as a 420SEL of the same year). doesn't seem so bad if the E92 M3 ended up in the 70k range now, does it?

edit: OTOH, it also had the same hp rating as a 420SEL, so yeah...

Raza

Thank you so much for posting that.  These magazines don't seem to put up this kind of archive material on their websites (Hell, give it 3 years and C&D takes the pictures down, 6 or 7 and the article's gone) and it's really amazing to read how things were way back when. 

All three cars are incredibly impressive, but my heartstrings tug for the Mercedes.  The BMW is the racer, the Audi is the uptight sort of looker, and the Mercedes looks like a hooligan just enough. 

This sort of article really makes me want to buy a 190E 2.3-16 to replace my Passat.  Dogleg and all.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8101.msg384729#msg384729 date=1173737606
Thank you so much for posting that.? These magazines don't seem to put up this kind of archive material on their websites (Hell, give it 3 years and C&D takes the pictures down, 6 or 7 and the article's gone) and it's really amazing to read how things were way back when.?

All three cars are incredibly impressive, but my heartstrings tug for the Mercedes.? The BMW is the racer, the Audi is the uptight sort of looker, and the Mercedes looks like a hooligan just enough.?

This sort of article really makes me want to buy a 190E 2.3-16 to replace my Passat.? Dogleg and all.

I'm back at college, so this was the only old magazine I brought and by far my oldest.  This mag also has the turbo Legacy, so there's something here for J86, too.  Call me a little obsessive, but I have all of the 1995 Motor Trends, a few 1996 magazines, and a lot of mags from 1997 on--about 700 in all, not including my books, Mario Andretti autographed Indy 500 program from 1960-something, so I might have to make a request list for everyone when I get home from school in 7 weeks.

For now, it's gonna be January 1991.  Raza, I'm glad you liked it.

Vinsanity

yeah...I wish I had kept all my 1992-94 R&T magazines, I had every issue, albeit torn and battered. too bad that I as a 12-year-old didn't think that I would go back and give them a read.

I tried to start another collection in 1998 (R&T) and again in 2005 (Automobile) but didn't find them interesting enough to hold on to. go figure.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

BMW, then Mercedes then Audi for me please, though i'd love any of them.

cawimmer430

Thanks for posting this. I will read it later.  :rockon:

It is a little known fact that the Mercedes 190-Series actually handled better than the BMW 3-Series of that same period. I will try to find the article that mentioned this. They went in-depth and explained the suspensions of these two cars. The 190's wasd more revolutionary.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Great post. I have that issue, as well as more going back to the early '80s (I had Road & Tracks going back to the early '60s for a while, as well as C&Ds going back to the '70s). Wish I still had all of them, but no room to keep them.  :(
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

Cool...

I dont' care if they rated it last, I want the 190E Evo!!!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)