1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo

Started by the Teuton, March 12, 2007, 08:45:47 PM

the Teuton

I thought all of the Subaru people would get a kick out of this.  While it only came with 160 hp, many people tune this engine to over 280 hp.  That's why it's so desirable.  This is one of only 58 Legacy Turbo 5 speeds produced in 1991.

So Josh, I have a question, do you have a turbo hood on your car?  Some pics look like you have a scoop, which only came on the Turbo model.  To everyone else, enjoy.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

I like the BD bodystyle more. It looks more modern. Awesome car nonetheless, I was just looking for them on eBay.

The Pirate

Quit posting about Subies.  Every time I see a Subie thread, I wish I would have held out for one when I was buying.  :banghead: :lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on March 12, 2007, 08:54:18 PM
Quit posting about Subies.? Every time I see a Subie thread, I wish I would have held out for one when I was buying.? :banghead: :lol:

I thought I made up for it with the German Thundercars article.  Oh well, should I post 1991 concepts and the Porsche sedan sketch?  I only have so much to work with in a 16 year old magazine.  :tounge:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Thanks for that, those are some of my favorite cars.  I might have to restore one someday when they become truly rare.  Which, in a way, is already becoming a reality.

TBR

Way, way back when I was about 15 the turbo Legacy was on my list (along with, off the top of my head, a 850 GLT, 9000 Aero, and Galant GS, all rare but cool early '90s sedans). But they are just about impossible to find.

FordSVT

I do like those, but if I was buying a "sport" sedan in '91 I would have gone for a 5spd SHO.  No awd but quick, quick, quick!
-FordSVT-

the Teuton

Quote from: FordSVT on March 13, 2007, 06:55:01 AM
I do like those, but if I was buying a "sport" sedan in '91 I would have gone for a 5spd SHO.? No awd but quick, quick, quick!
-FordSVT-

Were they much more expensive?

FordSVT

Quote from: the Teuton on March 13, 2007, 11:40:00 AM
Were they much more expensive?

A '91 was about $20,000, the '92 was the second generation SHO and the price went up to around $23,000. So no, not much more. A lot faster though.
-FordSVT-

J86

I've got the turbo hood, but no turbo.  Previous owner put $$$ into the car...he mustha slapped it on there.

Now I gotta look for a Turbo!

the Teuton

Most definitely.  There's a kinda beat up Legacy Sport here in Pittsburgh for sale for $900.  I wish I had the money, and I don't even know if it's still for sale, but when I saw it a few weeks ago, it made me wish I had a bit for in the bank.

SaltyDog

That's a sharp car.  The interior looks really cheap, but strangely inviting.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

J86

Quote from: the Teuton on March 15, 2007, 11:37:57 AM
Most definitely.? There's a kinda beat up Legacy Sport here in Pittsburgh for sale for $900.? I wish I had the money, and I don't even know if it's still for sale, but when I saw it a few weeks ago, it made me wish I had a bit for in the bank.

Dude, '96 Legacy wagon, stick in the paper for $800....must.....not....call.....

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: J86 on March 15, 2007, 05:43:01 PM
Dude, '96 Legacy wagon, stick in the paper for $800....must.....not....call.....

How can someone sell a '96 Legacy wagon for only $800, unless it was meant for you to buy it?  :P
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Where?  In Geneva?

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

NACar- DO NOT tempt me! :lol:

Pirate- nah, I'm in Rhody for the week (surgery tomorrow).  Unless you wanna take a long haul down the Thruway- you cant have it!

The Pirate

Damn!  If it was in Geneva, I'd taking a little road trip.  RI is a bit far to drive though.  :lol:

Hey good luck with the surgery.  Don't know invasive it is, but they give you some pretty good drugs for the post op time period.  I had 3 organs out about 15 years ago.

the Teuton

I bought my sexy wagon for $800.  Sure, I've put a little money into it, but if you can find them for dirt cheap, it's more than worth it.  I just saw another Legacy Sport tonight, too.

J86

They're puttin' a screw in my elbow...we'll see how it goes.

Teuton my man, you got a better deal than me!  Although, at least I haven't had to put any money in the car since I got it....

I would KILL for a wagon though.

The Pirate

Damn, I really need to start paying more attention to the used car scene.  Was there anything seriously wrong with yours when you bought it, Teuton?  Or just age and miles?

J86

Quote from: The Pirate on March 15, 2007, 10:01:58 PM
Damn, I really need to start paying more attention to the used car scene.? Was there anything seriously wrong with yours when you bought it, Teuton?? Or just age and miles?

Craigslist, my man.  Be vigilant!

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on March 15, 2007, 10:01:58 PM
Damn, I really need to start paying more attention to the used car scene.? Was there anything seriously wrong with yours when you bought it, Teuton?? Or just age and miles?

Here it goes: Ahem, it was a snowy day in February '05.  I didn't yet have my license yet, but I needed a car and had $1,500 in my wallet from sandwich blood money.  My favorite car in GT2 besides my Prelude was a GF8 STi wagon.  My dad was looking through the paper and came across this Impreza.  It was $850.  There was no way in hell anyone would be going out to buy one on that day because the streets were extremely snowed over.

When we got there, I checked it out.  The interior, with some pokes in the vinyl and a stain on the rear seat, was in perfect condition.  There was/is some very minor surface rust (and now some bubbles) and it had a cracked windshield that has since been replaced.  Since I didn't want to kill the car before I bought it, my dad testdrove it with me in the passenger seat.  The car had 144k on the clock and pulled hard.  It idled perfectly.  The man who was selling it was selling it because his son moved home from Hoboken, NJ and just bought a Grand Cherokee.  I trusted him because the car was stored in a heated garage right next to a restored '85 Mustang 5.0 LX, a '56 T-Bird, and the shell of a Model T.  The man also had a Ford Skyliner in in his paint booth.

He told me that it had a small oil leak and said that I could buy a gasket at Auto Zone for $12 to fix that.  It obviously had some paint wear, and it had been in some accidents and when it was repainted, they forgot to put clear coat on the bumpers, so both the front and back are peeling.  The key hole in the hatch was bondo'd over, so it looks like it was never there and the front CV joints went bad about a year and a half later at about 152k (The body is just shy of 160k as we speak).

Other than that, everything power works, the AC blows cold, and it will be running with an EJ25 within the next 2 weeks.  My dad negotiated $50 off the price and said he could've done more (Jewish bargaining skills), but he started to feel bad about how good of a deal it was.  I also got 2 extra tires out of the deal and a glove compartment full of documentation of service.

So, to answer your question, no, nothing was seriously wrong with my car when I bought it.  I'm just surprised as hell that the engine crapped out.  The oil was just changed about 1,000 miles before it happened, and I pamper that car.

TheIntrepid

Well that guy got Jewed. ;)

:mask:

I'm just kidding Teuton. Good deal. My dad is equally good at bargaining car deals (Indian bargain skills > Jewish bargain skills)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

I just found a '90 Legacy Wagon with 200k km's for $800 cdn
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 15, 2007, 10:24:52 PM
Well that guy got Jewed. ;)

:mask:

I'm just kidding Teuton. Good deal. My dad is equally good at bargaining car deals (Indian bargain skills > Jewish bargain skills)

That's a rather obtuse thing to say.

Bargaining skills has absolutely nothing to do with a person's ethnicity.  True, some people are more savvy as far as getting a good deal, but said person's race/nationality has no bearing on that ability.

All it really takes is patience, knowledge and some people skills; traits which are not indicative of any particular group. 

TheIntrepid

Oh come on... you know that Indians and Jews are the cheapest people around. Teuton knows I mean no offense by it. It's the truth.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

I'm not offended by it, but I don't agree with it.  I know plenty of people who are cheap or frugal, and they are neither Jewish nor Indian.  Certainly, many of the aforementioned groups can be cheap, but that does not make them the superlative.

the Teuton

I was mentioning it as a joke.? I'm allowed to make fun of my heritage if I want even though I am by no means a racist, hater, or stereotyper.? I go to one of the most diverse colleges in America.? I wouldn't make it out alive if I was.