Mustang takes 51% of sports coupe market

Started by SVT666, March 15, 2007, 07:39:50 AM

SVT666

When February sales numbers were released, the Mustang line was not encouraging. Unit deliveries last month were down by 19%, when compared to February of 2006.
Sales news for the previous month had show that January 2007 deliveries were also down by 19% compared to January of last year.

A couple of days later, Associated Press ran a story that started off with: "The latest version of Ford's iconic Mustang appears to be growing old, and back-to-back monthly sales declines to start 2007 have the struggling company a little worried."

Well, if ever there was a media frenzy equivalent to a locust storm, this triggered it. The AP story was picked up broadly over the next few days. The more vindictive Editors across the country even added something about 'Old Grey Mare' to the title.
With only a little thought, it should be clear that the AP writer, Tom Krisher, either in a deliberate search for sensationalism, or through a pitiful lack of understanding of the numbers being presented, overstated the situation.

The phrase "back-to-back monthly sales declines" implies consecutive losses, for example January sales were lower than December and February sales were lower than January. The percentage drop numbers presented by the Ford referred each month to the same month if the previous year. Confusing?

Mustang deliveries in January 2006 were 11,208. In February, 2006 they were 13,367. Both of those particular months represented significant gains over the same months in 2005, but let's not go there. Sales for January, 2007 were 9,064 cars and for February, 2007, they were 10,772.

Numbers, numbers. You can look at them many ways. Here's another way, based on more recent information from Ford.

"Mustang dramatically improved its market share in the sporty coupe segment in the first two months of the year, rising from 39 percent in 2006 to 51 percent today. While overall sales are down so far this year, the spring and summer selling seasons (March ・August) account for more than half of annual sales."

In context then, the 'sporty coupe' market tanked even worse than Mustang sales did. So, market share was gained in what can only be viewed as a strong performance in a weak market.

Clearly, the North American media delights in kicking someone when they're down and are not above cleverly (or stupidly, we're not sure which) manipulating their phrasing to imply a conclusion that does not stand up to scrutiny. Unfortunately, too few readers will bother to think critically or challenge what they read.

Hopefully, you've made it this far because you are prepared to do exactly that.

omicron

So, essentially, the Mustang is selling around 10,500 cars a month. Sounds good to me.

SVT666

FordSVT

You also have to remember that last winter was really the end of the first year of 05+ Mustang availibility, as the 05s arrived very late in 04. I bought mine in january of 05 and it was one of the first GTs on the road around these parts. They were still a hot, hot car. To see a decline this January and February (not traditionally hot months for rwd coupe sales) isn't surprising, the sales of units this summer will be more telling.  And I agree, to see such a strong share of the market (51%???!!!) is awesome. It would, however, suggest that the overall coupe market is suffering a little this year.
-FordSVT-

Raza

God damn the Mustang.  Such a stupid, horrible, crude little car.

Damn it's fun.  I really like it.  I want one. 

I just hate myself for wanting one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8142.msg386803#msg386803 date=1173969651
God damn the Mustang.? Such a stupid, horrible, crude little car.
That's what makes it so lovable.  It's crude, loud, and obnoxious. :ohyeah:

omicron

Forget the Shelbys; my ideal 2007 Mustang is the GT California Special. Make it sound nice and lumpy, like that glorious Shelby video Hemi posted, and that's one lovely cruising car.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on March 15, 2007, 08:53:26 AM
Forget the Shelbys; my ideal 2007 Mustang is the GT California Special. Make it sound nice and lumpy, like that glorious Shelby video Hemi posted, and that's one lovely cruising car.
My favourite production Mustang is the Shelby GT.  My favourite tuner Mustang is the Parnelli Jones edition Saleen.

Nethead

HEMI666:   The real meaning of this is that Mustangs have collected most of the customers currently in this market. 

That leaves the Camaro with not much left of this market outside of bowtie diehards and the Challenger with not much left of this market outside of Chrysler diehards (Mercedes diehards probably ain't breathlessly awaiting the Challenger...). 

Some may counter "Well, Chevy diehards and Chrysler diehards represent a lot of unit sales!"  Do they now--then why has the Camaro been extinct for five model years if all those diehards were buying 'em??  And the Challenger has been extinct since God was a second baseman in Little League.  The Chrysler diehards let the Challenger expire even when the 440 Six-Pack and the real Hemi were available engine options! 

You'd think with the problems these two manufacturers have, they'd be using the corporate resources to create something original rather than an imitation of another manufacturer's success, right?  After all, they both imitated the Mustang forty years ago and all their imitations have long been sent down to the dusty annals of automotive failure--what colossal stupidity makes them think this won't happen again?  Didn't GM learn anything from the abject failure of the resurrected GTO?  Obviously not...

At least DCX is only projecting two years of supportable Challenger sales--and they'll re-assess near the end of that second year of sales whether they feel it's worth a third year.  If I were DCX, I think I might put the Challenger on hold until the new owners evaluate their product line--4,000+ pound expensive coupes only offering Hemis sounds like a large, slow target crossing the periscope at close range in this day and age...the money would be better spent seeing how to preserve the 300, 300C, and Charger from the executive axe...

Chevrolet may feel pressured:  more Ford brand vehicles were registered in 2006 than were Chevrolet brand vehicles--so much for the "America's Favorite Brand" advertisements--but imitating the Mustang again hardly sounds like a remedy, huh?  In fact, all of GM should step back and consider that they only have half the marketshare that they had when the first "Profit Through Imitation" Camaro was introduced in 1967.  Is there a "cause and effect" going on here that the public sees but that the management cannot?  I think so...
So many stairs...so little time...

The Pirate

This is good news.  In a two or three years' time, there will hopefully be a good selection of mint GTs on the used market.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

omicron

OK. One Vista Blue GT Premium coupe with the California Special package, Black/Dove interior + interior upgrade package, navigation, satin aluminium instrument panel applique, chrome exhaust tips, and automatic.

$32,740. Nice.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on March 15, 2007, 09:10:12 AM
OK. One Vista Blue GT Premium coupe with the California Special package, Black/Dove interior + interior upgrade package, navigation, satin aluminium instrument panel applique, chrome exhaust tips, and automatic.

$32,740. Nice.
Automatic?

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 15, 2007, 09:12:57 AM
Automatic?

It suits the character of the car better. I'd be happy just to cruise around town in this thing, occasionally giving it a seeing-to when the moment is right. I also prefer the more sedate Mustangs of old - the '64 1/2 to '66 hardtops, as opposed to later models. It's just what I see the Mustang as being.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on March 15, 2007, 09:16:56 AM
It suits the character of the car better. I'd be happy just to cruise around town in this thing, occasionally giving it a seeing-to when the moment is right. I also prefer the more sedate Mustangs of old - the '64 1/2 to '66 hardtops, as opposed to later models. It's just what I see the Mustang as being.
Fair enough.  You're wrong, but fair enough.  :lol:

I would like a used 2005 Msutang GT with the red leather interior so I can mod the hell out of it.  The body would remain stock except for a ducktail spoiler to replace the stock spoiler.  If I could buy a brand new one it would definitely be a white Shelby GT.

SVT_Power

Is navi offered here in North america as well? :confused:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Vinsanity

Damn it's fun.? I really like it.? I want one.?

I just hate myself for wanting one.

maybe you should put one on your shopping list. who knows, in 16 months, maybe 2005 GT's will go for $15k :praise:

Secret Chimp

There's one of these Saleen Mustangs running around here.

It looks neat (save for the super-blue headlights), but it sounds AWFUL. Like a bronchitic lion trying to roar while having kettle drums shoved down its throat.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

Damn it's fun.? I really like it.? I want one.?

I want one too. There problem is there are other cars I want even more.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2007, 06:46:08 PM
Navigation?

If I bought one, then I'd have to be in the US, which means I wouldn't have a bloody clue where to go :ohyeah:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on March 15, 2007, 08:28:44 PM
If I bought one, then I'd have to be in the US, which means I wouldn't have a bloody clue where to go :ohyeah:

There's no better way to meet people (oer get mugged) than asking complete strangers for directions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2007, 08:31:11 PM
There's no better way to meet people (oer get mugged) than asking complete strangers for directions.

There would be some fun in that. Next stop, suburban Detroit! :thumbsup:

nickdrinkwater

What other cars are in the 'sports coupe market'?

SVT666

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on March 15, 2007, 08:36:51 PM
There would be some fun in that. Next stop, suburban Detroit! :thumbsup:

Cool, in that case, I'll give you directions.

I might even buy you a beer.

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 15, 2007, 09:29:34 PM
350Z
RX-8
Tiburon
Cobalt
etc.

My goodness; no wonder the Mustang has 51% of the market.

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2007, 09:32:15 PM
Cool, in that case, I'll give you directions.

I might even buy you a beer.

Yes, you'll have to. Once I leave these fine shores, I'm 'underage'.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on March 15, 2007, 09:32:43 PM
My goodness; no wonder the Mustang has 51% of the market.

I thnk the Cobalt might be classified in the compact segment anyways, and the RX-8 might not be considered a coupe.