Rabbit Upgraded for 2008 MY

Started by SJ_GTI, March 19, 2007, 08:45:35 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: 93JC on March 19, 2007, 02:28:12 PM
Coincidentally their move to 'premium-mainstream' shoved profits and sales deep, deep down the shitter.

Well they seem to be improving. In 2006 the VW  stock went up more then 100% and last week their stock price has hit an all time high. They made a pre tax profit of ? 4.2 billion in 2006.

the Teuton

That's probably because Porsche is most likely going to buy the rest of the company.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on March 20, 2007, 12:45:10 PM
That's probably because Porsche is most likely going to buy the rest of the company.

That pushed the stock price but it has nothing to do with the profit. Audi has something to do with that though ;)

All in all VW is in mutch better shape now.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 20, 2007, 09:21:46 AM
AutoWeek says it's 3072 lbs:

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/70216005&SearchID=73275540806376

I am not sure I would take anything they have to say seriously:

The Rabbit is a nice car, but the price could use a trim. The base three-door Rabbit costs $14,990, but the five-door jumps to $17,620. (A grand a door? Seems excessive.)

I like this engine much less than the 2.0-liter turbo, but it wasn?t bad. To get the turbo, you have to go to the GTI, which starts at $22,100. (The five-door GTI?s price only goes up $500. Something weird is going on with the pricing of these cars.)

A simple 5 minute visit to the VW website reveals a much higher standard list of equipment in the 5-door Rabbit compared to the 2-door, hence the price difference. Although reasonably equipped (for an economy car), the 2-door is the "base" model, while getting 4 doors pushes you beyond the base. IMHO the 2-door is still the better deal (assuming you don't want options like heated seats and a sunroof), but you do get extra "Stuff" in the 4-door for your money. In the GTI, the price difference is so small because the equipment levels really are exactly identical.

SJ_GTI

Check out TrueDelta.com. It has a handy price/feature comparison for any combination of cars. When accounting for features, the Rabbit appears to be cheaper than a Civic. A Civic DX is about the same price as a 2-door rabbit...but guess which one comes with air condition, 4-wheel disc ABS brakes, traction control, etc...? The only features I could see on a civic that isn't included on the Rabbit are intermittent wipers and vanity mirrors. In fact a 14,990 2-door Rabbit has features about on par with a 16,760 Civic LX Coupe.

So are VW's expensive? Sure, if you are comparing to Ford Focuses and Chevy Cobalts. But compared to other imports its seems reasonable to me.

TheIntrepid

Wait wait wait... the Rabbit doesn't have intermittent wipers? :confused: My 1990 Camry had that!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Catman

The Rabbit is overpriced in my opinion and 20 hp wouldn't make a difference to me.

Raza

Quote from: Catman on March 20, 2007, 01:53:46 PM
The Rabbit is overpriced in my opinion and 20 hp wouldn't make a difference to me.

:confused:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 20, 2007, 01:50:34 PM
Wait wait wait... the Rabbit doesn't have intermittent wipers? :confused: My 1990 Camry had that!

The base 2-door Rabbit doesn't have them.

The base 2-door civic doesn't have air conditioning, 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS, traction control, etc...

If intermittent wipers are more important than all of those the Civic is a better deal.  :ohyeah: :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 20, 2007, 04:10:46 PM

The base 2-door civic doesn't have air conditioning, 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS, traction control, etc...

If intermittent wipers are more important than all of those the Civic is a better deal.  :ohyeah: :lol:

I haven't checked the Honda site, but I'm pretty sure the base DX Civic doesn't have intermittent wipers either.  Mine doesn't, and the the "loaded" '02 Protege I drove didn't have them either.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

280Z Turbo

Heheheheh...

My '76 Datsun has intermittent wipers!

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 20, 2007, 06:34:49 PM
Heheheheh...

My '76 Datsun has intermittent wipers!

I guess it wasn't clear.

The base Rabbit, with no options, does not have intermittent wipers. The Rabbit does have intermitent wipers in every other variation.

Tave

My '86 4runner had intermittent wipers, my 05 Aveo doesn't. What kind of bulls**t is that?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

The Pirate

Yeah, now that I think about, my freaking '91 Ford Ranger had intermittent wipers, too.  Of course, the wiper operation was a bit sporadic on that truck, so intermittent is in fact a very accurate term.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

My 560SL had them... :praise: but then again it was a 560SL.

93JC

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 20, 2007, 04:10:46 PM

If intermittent wipers are more important than all of those the Civic is a better deal.? :ohyeah: :lol:

Believe it or not, I'd much rather have intermittent wipers than A/C, rear disc brakes, ABS and TCS...

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on March 21, 2007, 09:36:14 AM
Believe it or not, I'd much rather have intermittent wipers than A/C, ...

that's because you guys don't have summer up in Canada :P

93JC

We do, just not disgustingly hot. (80s, fahrenheit, usually. Sometimes it just squeaks into the 90s.)

Honestly, I have it in the Spirit, but I rarely use it. :huh: Whereas I use intermittent wipers whenever it rains.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 21, 2007, 10:22:22 AM
We do, just not disgustingly hot. (80s, fahrenheit, usually. Sometimes it just squeaks into the 90s.)

Honestly, I have it in the Spirit, but I rarely use it. :huh: Whereas I use intermittent wipers whenever it rains.

When we're talking intermittent wipers, we mean the first multi-speed setting that allows you to change the speed within a single setting, right?  Not rain sensing wipers, right?

If I'm right, they don't really seem like a big deal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg393059#msg393059 date=1174494852
When we're talking intermittent wipers, we mean the first multi-speed setting that allows you to change the speed within a single setting, right?? Not rain sensing wipers, right?

If I'm right, they don't really seem like a big deal.?

actually, 93JC has a point. we got a light drizzle yesterday, and while I have intermittent wipers, I wish I had the adjustable-variable-delay types like in my old car. I never knew they still made cars without intermittent wipers before this thread :huh:

The Pirate

Well, I'm confused then, what are intermittent wipers?  I thought they were the adjustable-variable delay type that Vinsanity mentioned.  My car lacks those.

93JC

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg393059#msg393059 date=1174494852
When we're talking intermittent wipers, we mean the first multi-speed setting that allows you to change the speed within a single setting, right?? Not rain sensing wipers, right?

Right. Your average intermittent wiper set-up will have a variable setting that varies the time between wiper swipes between 5 to 20 seconds, then you have a regular 'on-all-the-time' low speed setting, and a high speed setting.

QuoteIf I'm right, they don't really seem like a big deal. 

Oh trust me, not having them sucks donkey balls. My dad's Dakota doesn't have them, and it's one of the missing features on that truck (in addition to not having enough power, a tighter turning radius, good brakes and taught suspension) that makes me despise it when I drive it (although it isn't bad for what it is: a little work truck). You have no idea how annoying it is to have to reach down every ten seconds to click the wipers on and off in a light rain.

As silly as it seems, intermittent wipers are one feature I don't thing I could bring myself to lvie without. Power windows, power seats, power mirrors, power doors: completely unnecessary. But not having intermittent wipers would drive me up the wall.

TheIntrepid

93JC

Whoa whoa whoa... 'mist'? A 'mist' feature is typically what you would call the setting that activates the washer fluid pump.

TheIntrepid

No no... "mist" in Cavaliers referred to the thing where you just flick the wiper thing and it retracts back to the "off" position after the wipers go up and down once. It's hard to explain, but it's to be used in 'mist' so that you don't have to turn on your wipers and turn them back off.

93JC

:huh:

Never heard of it. Nor would I find any use for it: you could do the same just turning it on and off.

TheIntrepid

Hmm I would think the Spirit has it. My girlfriend's car certainly does. :huh:

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 21, 2007, 03:31:13 PM
:huh:

Never heard of it. Nor would I find any use for it: you could do the same just turning it on and off.

The Passat has it.  To activate the wipers, you click up, to use the washer fluid, you pull towards you, and to just send the blades once you click down.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 21, 2007, 03:34:59 PM
Hmm I would think the Spirit has it.

Nope. Wiper controls are on the turn signal stalk, with a small rotating piece on the end. Push on the end (toward the steering column) to get a few wipes with the washer fluid, rotate away from you to activate intermittent mode at 5 second intervals, keep turning to vary the interval up to 20 (30?) seconds, keep turning to a detent for low-speed always-on, and keep turning to the last detent for high-speed.

That's it.

I suppose you guys have it on another stalk on the right side of the wheel, right? I've noticed most new cars have two (or three!) steering column stalks.