Rabbit Upgraded for 2008 MY

Started by SJ_GTI, March 19, 2007, 08:45:35 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: The Pirate on March 21, 2007, 02:47:00 PM
Well, I'm confused then, what are intermittent wipers?? I thought they were the adjustable-variable delay type that Vinsanity mentioned.? My car lacks those.

the intermittent wipers I have on the s2k are a single-speed type (as opposed to adjustable/variable). it sweeps about every 2 or 3 seconds.

TheIntrepid

My Intrepid only has one stalk, because some Intrepids came with column shifters. My Camry had three (left for signaling, right for wipers, and another on the right for cruise).

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

850CSi

I don't think I ever use A/C in my car.

TheIntrepid

I use it in the extreme heat only. Otherwise it's the sunroof for me.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg391885#msg391885 date=1174402740
That's why I said bring over two engines.? Sell the Twincharger as a bridge between the standard car and the GTI.

Twincharger is great. We don't get it in Mexico either.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

280Z Turbo

I like having a stalk for lights on the left and one for wipers on the right.

SJ_GTI

:lol:

Love the in depth discussion of intermittent wipers.  :ohyeah: :lol:

omicron

The Lexcen has indicators and high beams on the right, wipers on the left.

omicron

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 22, 2007, 07:05:27 AM
:lol:

Love the in depth discussion of intermittent wipers. :ohyeah: :lol:

It's this quality of discussion that keep me coming back for more :praise: :lol:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: omicron on March 22, 2007, 07:06:52 AM
It's this quality of discussion that keep me coming back for more :praise: :lol:

With threads like this C&D doesn't stand a chance!  :praise: :lol:

Rich

I love my rain sensing wipers.  They are to intermittents what intermittents are to non-intermittents.  It's amazing how well they work and will try to always own a car with them

I couldn't fathom not having intermittent wipers. 

I'd love to have a car without power locks, windows (as long as it's a 2dr), and power steering, but don't mess with my wipers :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 21, 2007, 04:00:05 PM
the intermittent wipers I have on the s2k are a single-speed type (as opposed to adjustable/variable). it sweeps about every 2 or 3 seconds.
Prelude's are the same way, and they absolutely suck. Unless it is really raining hard they are always either too fast or too slow. That is why I Rain-xed, last time it rained (and it rained hard) I don't think I turned on the wipers for my entire 25 mile drive.  :praise:

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 21, 2007, 11:23:27 PM
I like having a stalk for lights on the left and one for wipers on the right.

A stalk for the lights?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg394160#msg394160 date=1174579493
A stalk for the lights?

That's what I got too. You twist forward for the lights to come on, push forward to engage the brights, and pull backwards to disengage the brights or to flash them.

That's how my Toyota was too.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 22, 2007, 10:07:40 AM
That's what I got too. You twist forward for the lights to come on, push forward to engage the brights, and pull backwards to disengage the brights or to flash them.

That's how my Toyota was too.

Heh.  Come to think of it, I've actually seen that before.

All my cars have had dials for the lights.  However, the high beam activation is the same way, except it's the turn signal stalk you kick out. It acts the same way, though.  Although, I do think if you pull in and hold it and then let go, it click out to permanent on.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I hate that (light controls on a column stalk).

Best system for headlamp control ever devised:

Pull to first detent for parking lamps, second detent for low-beams, pull back on turn signal stalk for highbeams.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg394165#msg394165 date=1174579770
Heh.? Come to think of it, I've actually seen that before.

All my cars have had dials for the lights.? However, the high beam activation is the same way, except it's the turn signal stalk you kick out. It acts the same way, though.? Although, I do think if you pull in and hold it and then let go, it click out to permanent on.

Yeah, I forgot the turn signals. They're on there with the rest of the lights.

You just described how my parents' Dodge works. Their Accord has light controls like mine.

I always thought that maybe it was a domestic/import thing, or at least a Japanese/American thing, untill I got the Aveo. It blew my theory out of the water (although maybe not, considering it's really a deawoo and not a chevy).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

I like my dial.  One click to the right is driving lights (in many, the Passat doesn't have this since we have DRLs in the US), two clicks is full low beams.  Pull out one click is front fogs, two clicks is rear fog (again, US spec Passats don't have a rear foglight).  Turn signal stalk handles the high beams.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

If I remember rightly, the horn button on our '86 Falcon was at the tip of the right indicator stalk. I'd have to check that in the owner's manual somewhere, but I'm fairly sure that was the case. Smacking the steering wheel all over just gave one a sore hand.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

850CSi

My lights are a dial too but I almost never have to mess with them since they're auto on/off.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 22, 2007, 12:49:52 PM
My lights are a dial too but I almost never have to mess with them since they're auto on/off.

I hate auto on/off headlights.  What business does my car have telling me when I need to turn on the lights?  None, that's what. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg394294#msg394294 date=1174591852
I hate auto on/off headlights.? What business does my car have telling me when I need to turn on the lights?? None, that's what.?

It seems to work pretty well IMO. They're never on when I don't want them to be.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 22, 2007, 02:10:39 PM
It seems to work pretty well IMO. They're never on when I don't want them to be.

Automatics usually put you in the right gear too, but you drive a stick, don't you?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza on March 22, 2007, 10:04:53 AM
A stalk for the lights?

Aren't high beams and turn signals lights?

My parking lights and low beams are controlled by a switch on the wiper stalk in the Z. It makes it easy to bump them on inadvertently (and consequently drain the battery).

My old Saab, the Focus, and my brother's Jetta all have a knob on the left for headlights (All European, go figure). I like that better than the American-style pull knob.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg394334#msg394334 date=1174594731
Automatics usually put you in the right gear too, but you drive a stick, don't you?

Yes.? ?:P

But turning the lights on doesn't enhance the driving experience, at least not for me. Shifting manually does.? :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 22, 2007, 02:29:03 PM
Yes.   :P

But turning the lights on doesn't enhance the driving experience, at least not for me. Shifting manually does.  :lol:

I don't like when my car starts making decisions for me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on March 22, 2007, 10:16:14 AM
I like my dial.  One click to the right is driving lights (in many, the Passat doesn't have this since we have DRLs in the US), two clicks is full low beams.  Pull out one click is front fogs, two clicks is rear fog (again, US spec Passats don't have a rear foglight).  Turn signal stalk handles the high beams.

Same as mine I think. DRLs come on with the release of the handbrake. One click to the right is the parking lights, two clicks is full low beams. Pull out at any "on" setting to turn on fog lights (a $850 option :mask:)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!