Spyshots of a PRODUCTION BMW 1-series coupe

Started by LonghornTX, March 21, 2007, 06:06:54 PM

850CSi

I don't really see this doing very well over here. Especially if a an M version costs more than a 335i (which I'd rather have).

It'll be an absolute kick in the pants to drive, though.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 850CSi on April 29, 2007, 11:16:10 PM
I don't really see this doing very well over here. Especially if a an M version costs more than a 335i (which I'd rather have).

Why do you say that?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 30, 2007, 05:15:38 PM
Why do you say that?

Americans do have a tough time buying small cars, and an even tougher time buying small cars with premium badges.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 30, 2007, 05:15:38 PM
Why do you say that?

What are you asking about specifically?

The first part Raza answered for me, the second part is just because I love the E92 and while I like smaller cars, I don't like small cars.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8226.msg435143#msg435143 date=1177977208
Americans do have a tough time buying small cars, and an even tougher time buying small cars with premium badges.
The MINI doesn't seem to have that problem  :ohyeah:.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 850CSi on April 30, 2007, 06:12:56 PM
What are you asking about specifically?

The first part Raza answered for me, the second part is just because I love the E92 and while I like smaller cars, I don't like small cars.
Well, I think it is a bit far fetched to think that this car will be doomed to poor sales simply because it is a small car with a premium badge.  Like I brought up with Raza, the MINI has enjoyed considerable success here in the states and it is much smaller than the coupe and is not that much cheaper (on the lower end of course).  All this, WITHOUT the BMW badge.  I think that if they can produce a product that has premium features, interior, and performance while still maintaining a price below the 3 series, the rest will take care of itself.

Another thing to remember is this car will more than likely enjoy a HUGE marketing push from BMW, something the A3 here in the states did without....

850CSi

Is the A3 selling well? I never see any of them, and Chicagoland seems to be one of Audi's bigger markets.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 850CSi on April 30, 2007, 06:56:26 PM
Is the A3 selling well? I never see any of them, and Chicagoland seems to be one of Audi's bigger markets.
Not particularly, but it is easy to see why.  They have had almost no direct advertisements, no lease incentives, and a horrible model selection.

I see a bunch of them here in Austin, but Austin is a particularly early adopter of new cars/technology due to the high % of techies that live here.

ro51092

Audi placed the A3 weirdly. The GTI, which is the same car, without the premium badge is cheaper, has a nicer (IMO) interior, and does everything better. I don't know why they didn't use the TT's Haldex AWD system instead of the FWD. I guess it isn't a bad choice for the price, but VW's own GTI makes more sense.

red_shift

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 30, 2007, 06:53:34 PM
Well, I think it is a bit far fetched to think that this car will be doomed to poor sales simply because it is a small car with a premium badge.? Like I brought up with Raza, the MINI has enjoyed considerable success here in the states and it is much smaller than the coupe and is not that much cheaper (on the lower end of course).? All this, WITHOUT the BMW badge.? I think that if they can produce a product that has premium features, interior, and performance while still maintaining a price below the 3 series, the rest will take care of itself.

Another thing to remember is this car will more than likely enjoy a HUGE marketing push from BMW, something the A3 here in the states did without....

Mini is a good point, although Mini Cooper is a different vehicle than the 1 series. 1 series is a smaller sibling of a family. Mini is all alone, and is more of a 'statement' vehicle than the 1 series.

having said all that, I love the short front overhang and the taut profile of the 1 series, which reminds (to me) the E46 coupe proportions. I don't like the overall design however. It will be a hoot to drive (I'm sure) and will be very tough for me to resist.

At the risk of sounding a lot like Raza, I have to say, this is the bonafide torch bearer for the small, agile car in the true BMW spirit.
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 30, 2007, 06:47:32 PM
The MINI doesn't seem to have that problem  :ohyeah:.

Mini cracked open a niche; it's a great car with trendy little styling.  Because it's actually a great car, it survived.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: red_shift on April 30, 2007, 07:20:51 PM
At the risk of sounding a lot like Raza, I have to say, this is the bonafide torch bearer for the small, agile car in the true BMW spirit.

:praise:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ro51092

I think the 3er's extremely agile, as well as small. However, the 1er will only be moreso, which I'm TOTALLY down with. :rockon:

TheIntrepid

Your sig has too many lines IMO. Clubs are so, last year.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on April 30, 2007, 07:43:15 PM
I think the 3er's extremely agile, as well as small. However, the 1er will only be moreso, which I'm TOTALLY down with. :rockon:

The 3 series is huge. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: ro51092 on April 30, 2007, 07:43:15 PM

I have a feeling that everyone will be let down by the 1er. I don't see it as being that great of a car.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

LonghornTX

Quote from: red_shift on April 30, 2007, 07:20:51 PM
Mini is a good point, although Mini Cooper is a different vehicle than the 1 series. 1 series is a smaller sibling of a family. Mini is all alone, and is more of a 'statement' vehicle than the 1 series.

having said all that, I love the short front overhang and the taut profile of the 1 series, which reminds (to me) the E46 coupe proportions. I don't like the overall design however. It will be a hoot to drive (I'm sure) and will be very tough for me to resist.

You can look for the coupe to be marketed as a 'statement' vehicle for sure  :ohyeah:.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8226.msg435226#msg435226 date=1177983565
Mini cracked open a niche; it's a great car with trendy little styling.? Because it's actually a great car, it survived.
Well, I guess we will have to see how this model turns out.  If it indeed drives as well as most expect it to and it comes with the updated interior from the facelifted HB, I think all should be gravy as far as sales are concerned.  BMWs sell on a premium on the regular; if this model pocesses the traditional BMW qualities, why should it not be successful?  It has no real direct competitors and the model line for the company has a wide open spot for it.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Minpin on April 30, 2007, 07:50:48 PM
I have a feeling that everyone will be let down by the 1er. I don't see it as being that great of a car.
What makes you think that?  It is a great driver's car already and this coupe will be even more so.  Furthermore, the interior that was once regarded as poor quality has now been updated.  There should be no more gripes about lack of rear space because now it is a true 2 door.

ro51092

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on May 01, 2007, 11:02:40 PM
The E90 still weighs as mugh as the E46.

It weighs more, and when did I say anything about weight?  Have you been in a 3 series?  It's cavernous.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

It doesn't look bad but it all seems a bit pointless to me.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 02, 2007, 08:32:59 AM

Backseats in the hatch are pretty useless anyway.  This way, they can sell the car to a bunch of image conscious Americans who wouldn't want a hatch. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 02, 2007, 08:32:59 AM

The point being a modern version of the 2002 or E30. A smaller, lighter less expensive version, exactly what the 3 series stopped being.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

It's going to be fantastic. I can't wait.