SSC Ultimate Aero TT set to smoke Bugatti's top speed record.

Started by sandertheshark, March 21, 2007, 09:27:47 PM

850CSi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 23, 2007, 06:09:12 AM
In any case, the F1, like the F40 and the 959, is amongst the best pieces of automotive engineering to date. It's also pretty good looking too. I'm not too moved by this 'after the fact' kit car

Be hostile to the Veyron, not this thing!  :lol:

sandertheshark

Quote from: M_power on March 22, 2007, 10:54:57 PM
So did this thing set a new record or what
This came up on Autoblog this morning.  (God I hate that site.)  No official word yet.

QuoteA few days ago we reported about Shelby Super Car's (SSC) attempt at the worlds fastest car title and now we have an unofficial update. We just got word from a trackside observer that the record was NOT broken. After getting snowed out on day 1, the cast and crew reconvened on Highway 93 in Nevada and had another go at the record books today. Test pilot (and veteran Silver State Challenge 200 mph club member) Rick Doria reported wheelspin at 190 shifting into 6th on one pass that yielded about 221 mph, but felt confident enough to try again. A couple more passes and the 1,183-hp Ultimate Aero TT posted a top speed around 230 mph at 50% throttle in 6th. At that point the car had traveled the 2 miles deemed appropriate for the test runs. The driver reported that he was sure the car could easily break the 253 mph Veyron speed, let alone the "official" 242 of the Koenigsegg CCR. The group will head back to the shop for now and try a second set of runs in a couple of weeks if all goes as planned. We'll post updates as more information becomes available.

Raghavan

Wow, 50% throttle's doing 230???
It's probably beat it for sure.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raghavan on March 23, 2007, 08:47:28 PM
Wow, 50% throttle's doing 230???
It's probably beat it for sure.
The thought of breaking the tires loose at 190mph is giving me giggle fits.

Raghavan

That's just insane. Wow.
I have massive respect for this thing now.

850CSi

Uh, does that say wheelspin shifting into 6th at 190 MPH!?

That's wonderfully insane!  :lol:

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

giant_mtb

Tave

Yeah, this is a car I might even refuse to drive if someone offered the keys to me.

Wheelspin in 6TH? My god that's obscene.

I'm not too much of a pussy to admit this, if I took the SSC for a drive to wring it out I'd probably wreck it. If I had it for any extended length of time I certainly would.

What's the education like for someone to learn to pilot this monster?

M3 to 360 to CL65 to Saleen S7 to Formula 1?

If wheelspin occurs in 6th, @ 190, what happens in first?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JYODER240

I had a slight amount of wheelspin going into 3rd @130mph in a Viper. Now thats really scary.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

Payman

Hmmm... all these runs trying to beat the Veyron, when Csaba Csere jumped in and clocked 253 mph during a press screening of the car.
:huh:

sandertheshark

Quote from: Payman on March 24, 2007, 11:53:42 AM
Hmmm... all these runs trying to beat the Veyron, when Csaba Csere jumped in and clocked 253 mph during a press screening of the car.
:huh:
Press screening in perfect weather on a controlled track the likes of which are non-existent in North America.

Payman

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 24, 2007, 12:41:26 PM
Press screening in perfect weather on a controlled track the likes of which are non-existent in North America.

So why not save a shitload of aggrivation and bring the car over to Nardo?

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 24, 2007, 08:47:39 AM
Leave the Veyron alone :rage:
Why?  Is it because your Intrepid gets mistaken for one all the time? :evildude:

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 24, 2007, 05:07:54 PM
Why?  Is it because your Intrepid gets mistaken for one all the time? :evildude:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Dude is that the all-new super-rare four door Veyron?!"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Payman on March 24, 2007, 03:31:12 PM
So why not save a shitload of aggrivation and bring the car over to Nardo?
I imagine they would if bringing the car over to Nardo, getting in Euro certified and inspected, and closing the track for a block of tests, was not in of itself a shitload of aggravation.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 24, 2007, 05:07:54 PM

Nope. That's the Aston Martin Rapide. :P

I really do love the Veyron though. :praise:

SVT_Power

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 25, 2007, 06:36:16 PM
Nope. That's the Aston Martin Rapide. :P

I really do love the Veyron though. :praise:

So you love the veyron. You also love Intrepids. Hmm...

I say you're messed up
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

I don't love Intrepids. I love MY Intrepid. I didn't pick it out...it was a company insider buyout for my dad... who drove it since new. When we picked it, we took it over a Venture, an Impala base with no A/C, and a Taurus.

the Teuton

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 25, 2007, 07:31:49 PM
I don't love Intrepids. I love MY Intrepid. I didn't pick it out...it was a company insider buyout for my dad... who drove it since new. When we picked it, we took it over a Venture, an Impala base with no A/C, and a Taurus.

Do they sell Impalas with no AC?  Also, I would have loved it if history had been different and your name was TheVenturer.  :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

850CSi

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2007, 09:47:23 PM
Do they sell Impalas with no AC?? Also, I would have loved it if history had been different and your name was TheVenturer.? :lol:

:lol:

JYODER240

Quote from: Raghavan on March 24, 2007, 10:23:45 AM
A Viper does over 120 mph in 2nd???

my bad, I meant to say i was in 3rd and shifted into 4th.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Nethead

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 23, 2007, 08:44:03 PM
This came up on Autoblog this morning.? (God I hate that site.)? No official word yet.

Well, they talked the talk.? But when it came to some miles of actual pavement, they didn't walk the walk.? The history of automotive record attempts are full of "Well, if we had just (or hadn't just)...yada yada yada...we'd be the record holder today."

The Ultimate Aero TT folks now see why it takes more than big horsepower to produce an effective supercar--the Veyron didn't have to make excuses when it set the current production vehicle speed record, nor did the Koenigsegg that held the record before the Veyron, nor did the Mclaren that held the record before the Koenigsegg, and so on...

That's why these cars are current and former recordholders and the Ultimate Aero TT is, uh....what, down for repairs?? A McLaren jockey or a Koenigsegg jockey or a Veyron jockey would just have turned around and made a third run in the other direction.? Why couldn't Rick Doria? 

Everybody who tries to establish a new speed record ALWAYS feels they can do it.? ?The Veyron's speed record works out to 371 feet per second--you'll eat a lot of sand every second at that speed if something goes FUBAR that you hadn't counted on because your chassis has never approached that velocity before...
So many stairs...so little time...

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2007, 09:47:23 PM
Do they sell Impalas with no AC?  Also, I would have loved it if history had been different and your name was TheVenturer.  :lol:

They did back in 2003-2004. It was a 3.4 - 179hp engine, a bench seat, and no A/C. Though "TheImpaler" would have been a pretty cool name. :P

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on March 26, 2007, 09:24:11 AM
That's why these cars are current and former recordholders and the Ultimate Aero TT is, uh....what, down for repairs?
Huh?  I didn't see any mention of repairs.  Maybe there was some instability at 230 mph that they need to correct before making a FULL THROTTLE attempt.  I don't understand why you have a hate on for people like the SSC guys, Steve Saleen, etc.  Nobody has claimed the top speed crown from the Veyron, they are simply making an attempt.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 26, 2007, 10:30:57 AM
Huh?? I didn't see any mention of repairs.? Maybe there was some instability at 230 mph that they need to correct before making a FULL THROTTLE attempt.? I don't understand why you have a hate on for people like the SSC guys, Steve Saleen, etc.? Nobody has claimed the top speed crown from the Veyron, they are simply making an attempt.

HEMI666: I've sold cars, HemiDude, and that's an industry with no more truth in it than in the Oil Industry or in a discussion with Attorney Generals who aren't under oath. 

It ain't hate, it's absolute distrust!  That's why there's Nardo--where the effort is made to assure that the cars attempting records there are indeed everything they say they are and, just as important, not more than they say they are.  Before Nardo, just about every asshole could claim a top speed of at least 200 MPH (Such as claimed but not proven by Aston Martin and its Vanquish), and more would be doing it today if they didn't know they might someday have to put up or shut up at Nardo.  Those that can truly walk the walk take their cars to Nardo--those that hope you'll believe their marketing departments take their cars somewhere else...Bonneville, Wolfsburg, and no doubt other places... 
So many stairs...so little time...

Minpin

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 25, 2007, 07:31:49 PM

I thought you said you payed for your intrepid? This post makes it sound like your dad bought it. The wording could be off though.  :huh:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Galaxy

Quote from: Tave on March 24, 2007, 09:55:58 AM
Yeah, this is a car I might even refuse to drive if someone offered the keys to me.

Wheelspin in 6TH? My god that's obscene.

I'm not too much of a pussy to admit this, if I took the SSC for a drive to wring it out I'd probably wreck it. If I had it for any extended length of time I certainly would.

What's the education like for someone to learn to pilot this monster?

M3 to 360 to CL65 to Saleen S7 to Formula 1?

If wheelspin occurs in 6th, @ 190, what happens in first?

That is what I find so fascinating about the Veyron. You can drive i on the track at 400km/h and afterwords pick up some groceries on the way home. It is a very civilized car.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on March 26, 2007, 02:46:37 PM

That is what I find so fascinating about the Veyron. You can drive i on the track at 400km/h and afterwords pick up some groceries on the way home. It is a very civilized car.
There's nowhere to put groceries in the Veyron. :rolleyes: