OMG : E92 BMW M3 V8 Official Engine Specs

Started by MexicoCityM3, March 22, 2007, 09:24:31 AM

MexicoCityM3

420 hp @ 8300 RPM
295 lb/ft @ 3900 RPM
4.0 Liters
8400 RPM Redline (OMFG)
90% of Peak Torque Between 2250 and 7600 RPM
Brake energy recuperation system (only Euro-spec)

Lighter than current S54 six:

"the new BMW M3 again sets a new standard with engine weight of just 202 kg or 445 lb, making this V8 one of the lightest eight-cylinder engines in the world.

By comparison, the 294 kW/400 hp V8 in the predecessor to the current BMW M5 weighed 240 kg or 529 lb. So despite the extra power, the new engine is more than 15 per cent lighter. Indeed, it is approximately 15 kg or 33 lb lighter than even the six-cylinder power unit in the former BMW M3. So the extra weight of the two additional cylinders is more than set of by intelligent lightweight technology on the new engine."

More info: http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2008_bmw_m3/
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

TheIntrepid

*drool*

I was about to post this in Luxury BTW :ohyeah:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Nethead

This may be the most desirable BMW yet--the 3 is a great vehicle and presumably this engine would drop into the engine compartment with no Sawzalling or firewall bashing being necessary!  It's about time!
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Impressive, although I would rather have a larger displacement engine that has twice as much torque and all the power available at under 6000 rpm.  It makes for a more flexible engine.

Tave

I kind of like the fact that BMW continues to make their M engines screamers. If torque is what you desire, I hear Mercedes has a line of cars called AMG...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Minpin

I dislike all but the e series AMG cars. They all have WAY too much torque for the car to and end up just roasting the tires and making the car worse IMO.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

SVT_Power

Quote from: Minpin on March 22, 2007, 03:12:33 PM
I dislike all but the e series AMG cars. They all have WAY too much torque for the car to and end up just roasting the tires and making the car worse IMO.

:nono:

SL65 :devil: :praise:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

850CSi

Colonel Cadillac

I'm just going to point out that the 335i has more torque and a better torque curve than the M3.

With that said, obviously the objective of both engines are vastly different and the V8 seems absolutely incredible! I am incredibly excited for it to come out.

And hopefully it doesn't sound like a Honda V6 like the M5.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 22, 2007, 04:04:34 PM
I'm just going to point out that the 335i has more torque and a better torque curve than the M3.

With that said, obviously the objective of both engines are vastly different and the V8 seems absolutely incredible! I am incredibly excited for it to come out.

Its not a bad point. The torque curve will most likely show that at any RPM level below 6000 or so, the 335i will actually be putting more power to the ground. A lot of "average joes" that buy BMW's will probably prefer the power curve (not to mention the civility) of the 335i. Most "enthusiasts" will probably be happy to get that 8000+ redline though.

ro51092

Oh.....my......god

THIS IS WHAT MAKES DREAMS

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 22, 2007, 09:24:31 AM
Brake energy recuperation system (only Euro-spec)

"the new BMW M3 again sets a new standard with engine weight of just 202 kg or 445 lb, making this V8 one of the lightest eight-cylinder engines in the world.

By comparison, the 294 kW/400 hp V8 in the predecessor to the current BMW M5 weighed 240 kg or 529 lb. So despite the extra power, the new engine is more than 15 per cent lighter. Indeed, it is approximately 15 kg or 33 lb lighter than even the six-cylinder power unit in the former BMW M3. So the extra weight of the two additional cylinders is more than set of by intelligent lightweight technology on the new engine."
More info: http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2008_bmw_m3/

Looks very linear, much like a Honda engine.
Anyone know what this brake energy recuperation system is?  Sounds like some kind of pseudohybrid system.

At the risk of trolling, the weight of this supposedly "one of the lightest eight-cylinder engines in the world" makes one appreciate how light the GM LS# engines really are in comparision to OHC competitors.  The dry weight of a 7 liter 505hp LS7 is 458 pounds, just a shade more than this 4L 414hp engine .  http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/?p=357

goldenlover1101

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 22, 2007, 04:17:14 PM
A lot of "average joes" that buy BMW's will probably prefer the power curve (not to mention the civility) of the 335i. Most "enthusiasts" will probably be happy to get that 8000+ redline though.

I agree the 335i likely has a better power curve for the average joe - the sad thing is, the avg joe doesn't know what a power curve is and looks only at the peak hp number.

I sort of have mixed feelings about it, the high revving nature would be great at times but I only own one car at a time and use it as my daily driver, so I like the flat power curve for my daily commute.

Minpin

You have the perfect car lebowski. I'm highly jealous.  :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raghavan

OMG! 8400 RPM???
Next to the S2000 2 liter, it's the highest revving engine out there!
Jeez!
It's hecka lightweight too. I love this car.

GoCougs

Oh, wow, what an incredible power plant.

And a big fat "huh?" to the "comparison" to BMW's TT I6.

And that graph is incorrect; both vertical right-hand axes are in kW.

sandertheshark

I'd like to see more torque, but damn, I'd have to be insane or stupid to find any fault with that engine.

sandertheshark

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 22, 2007, 04:17:14 PM
Its not a bad point. The torque curve will most likely show that at any RPM level below 6000 or so, the 335i will actually be putting more power to the ground. A lot of "average joes" that buy BMW's will probably prefer the power curve (not to mention the civility) of the 335i. Most "enthusiasts" will probably be happy to get that 8000+ redline though.
The 335i is plenty for an enthusiast who doesn't get to run at 10/10ths all day, that for sure.  That said I wish I could have held out a year to get one of these.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on March 22, 2007, 06:57:54 PM
OMG! 8400 RPM???
Next to the S2000 2 liter, it's the highest revving engine out there!
Jeez!
It's hecka lightweight too. I love this car.

I believe the RX-8 revs to 9000 as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Wasn't counting the RX-8 because of its rotary.

omicron

sportyaccordy

This is pretty beastly. I'm thinking they made the engine flat plane rather than cross plane. Is the block magnesium like the R6 as well?

As far as the comparo to the TT L6...this has the same peak torque for 2,000 more RPM. Low end, high end, who cares? It makes a 3rd more power. Even if it had weaker low end torque the gearing would make up for it.

I can't wait to hear this motor, and I can't wait to see this go head to head with the RS4 and the C63.

sandertheshark

They're putting an AMG 6.3 in C-class?  Are they insane?

sandertheshark

Pics:

Oh, yeah, baby.  Take it off.  Take it all off.  :P :wub:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 22, 2007, 04:04:34 PM

Yeah, the character of an M engine is totally different from the 6 cylinder turbo. A 335i is a much more relaxed ride compared to an M. Even if it can run with an E46 M3. This V8 will rape both.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)