Why don't we get this Ranger?

Started by 280Z Turbo, March 23, 2007, 07:33:03 PM

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on March 26, 2007, 10:30:48 PM
Pwnt.
Hardly. :rolleyes:

My best friend owned 2 of them, and I borrowed one a couple times when I was in high school to haul firewood and it was fine.  Of course it doesn't haul what the mid-sizers do, but it's as good as any compact.

SVT666

Quote from: chevyguy06 on March 24, 2007, 11:21:53 AM
Atleast with that Ranger, Ford could compete in the crew cab segment :huh:
It seems that people are forgetting that Ford already competes in the mid-size crew cab pickup segment.

Pancor

My pops has an '02 2WD, regular cab with the stick and the 2.3l.   I've hauled some heavy-ass loads both in the bed and on a trailer, and it handles it surprisingly well.  Going uphill is a real shitshow, and I've even found myself with the throttle right to the floor in 5th gear on flat ground, but at lower speeds it really does impress. 

SVT666

Quote from: Pancor on March 27, 2007, 12:00:45 PM
My pops has an '02 2WD, regular cab with the stick and the 2.3l.? ?I've hauled some heavy-ass loads both in the bed and on a trailer, and it handles it surprisingly well.? Going uphill is a real shitshow, and I've even found myself with the throttle right to the floor in 5th gear on flat ground, but at lower speeds it really does impress.?
The one my buddy had that he would let me use was a 1990 4x4, extended cab, with the 4.0L V6.  It took heavy loads just fine.  People have to remember it's a compact pickup...not a half-ton.

Eye of the Tiger

My '94 4.0 Ranger hauled kegs of beer up mountains like you wouldn't believe!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 07:22:51 AM
It seems that people are forgetting that Ford already competes in the mid-size crew cab pickup segment.

I think I prefer the Ranger.  Interesting though.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 27, 2007, 12:26:02 PM
I think I prefer the Ranger.? Interesting though.
I like the sport trac.  The box is a little small, but how many people who own midsize trucks actually haul anything anyway?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 07:21:14 AM
Hardly. :rolleyes:

My best friend owned 2 of them, and I borrowed one a couple times when I was in high school to haul firewood and it was fine.? Of course it doesn't haul what the mid-sizers do, but it's as good as any compact.

It would haul it, yes, and would handle OK as well; but it'd be dragging its butt around like you cut the rear springs. Even the last generation F-150s did the same when loaded close to their payload rating.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 27, 2007, 03:50:47 PM
It would haul it, yes, and would handle OK as well; but it'd be dragging its butt around like you cut the rear springs. Even the last generation F-150s did the same when loaded close to their payload rating.
Don't you remember that all trucks used to do that because they came level from the factory.  When they started getting the "raked" look to them you could load them up to max payload or beyond and the truck would sit virtually level, but that's because the ass end is a lot higher then the front when unloaded.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 05:23:26 PM
Don't you remember that all trucks used to do that because they came level from the factory.? When they started getting the "raked" look to them you could load them up to max payload or beyond and the truck would sit virtually level, but that's because the ass end is a lot higher then the front when unloaded.

Some were worse than others, and the Rangers have always been on the 'worse' end of the spectrum as far as that goes. It would haul things though- I once had 2 3-ton electric chainfalls in the back of mine (about 660 lbs each). Didn't break anything, but that was an einteresting drive...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

My Ranger ('90 4x4 4.0L) hauled decently well for being a small truck.  I installed some add-a-leaf springs though, which helped a lot.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 27, 2007, 07:26:08 PM
Some were worse than others, and the Rangers have always been on the 'worse' end of the spectrum as far as that goes. It would haul things though- I once had 2 3-ton electric chainfalls in the back of mine (about 660 lbs each). Didn't break anything, but that was an einteresting drive...

No, the worst on the spectrum was my generation of 4runner/Taco. It dragged its ass even without anything in the back.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

etypeJohn

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 23, 2007, 07:33:03 PM
I noticed the ads for the new Ranger while flipping through Top Gear magazine.

WTF? Why does truck-loving America get stuck with the 1983 Ranger while the truck haters in Europe get this!

Wouldn't be suitable for the US market.  The steering wheel is on the wrong side.    :lol: ;)

Onslaught

Quote from: etypeJohn on March 30, 2007, 10:54:35 AM
Wouldn't be suitable for the US market.? The steering wheel is on the wrong side.? ? :lol: ;)
It's the mail man version.

JWC

Quote from: etypeJohn on March 30, 2007, 10:54:35 AM
Wouldn't be suitable for the US market.  The steering wheel is on the wrong side.    :lol: ;)

There...I "Americanized" it.

ro51092

JWC

Quote from: ro51092 on March 31, 2007, 09:15:27 PM
That's a very good chop.

Don't tell anyone....its called "flipping"...it's under "rotate image".

Raghavan

I'm pretty sure he just reversed that picture. ;)

ro51092

I'm impressed, maybe it's because I've never used Photoshop before?

SVT666

Quote from: ro51092 on March 31, 2007, 11:11:14 PM
I'm impressed, maybe it's because I've never used Photoshop before?
You can do it in Paint too. :ohyeah:

850CSi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 07:22:51 AM

Yeah, I immediately thought of the Explorer.