Saw A Smart on the Road

Started by TurboDan, March 29, 2007, 02:51:23 PM

93JC

They're ALL three cylinders.

Canadian ones are turbodiesels: some markets use a gas engines. The ones federalized to meet US standards were heavily modified gassers, and yes, only get around 40 mpg. The original unmolested gas engine gets 59 mpg highway.

Galaxy

Smart car crash at 70mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYLn47VwJs

This would most likely be deadly, however it does show how well built the Smart is. At city speeds it should not be a problem.

Tave

Quote from: 93JC on March 30, 2007, 03:11:09 PM
The original unmolested gas engine gets 59 mpg highway.

But not @ 80.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

:rolleyes:

It's not like fuel economy will nose-dive if you're going 80. It's a 1600 lbs car powered by a three-banger, it's going to get great mileage no matter what.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on March 30, 2007, 07:37:20 AM
they are already being sold, and have been for a while.

http://www.prestige-motors.com/inventory.html?&make=Smart

Those are right up the street from me. I think we should have MORE of these, not less, but yes, mostly for urban use.

But some company is selling them here officially, not gray market, and they're going to be a lot cheaper.

"The two-seat Smart ForTwo minicar will be coming to the U.S. in early 2008, the Associated Press reported.

Smart, which is based in Boeblingen, Germany, and is part of DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes Car Group, has signed a general distributor agreement with United Auto Chairman Roger Penske, the story said.

The first dealerships to carry the car are expected to be announced in the second half of 2007, with the car available to buyers during the first quarter of 2008.

The ForTwo is powered by a three-cylinder, 700cc engine; it has significantly lower emissions than other cars and gets an average of 40 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving and will sell for less than $15,000.

"This is absolutely the right car in the right place at the right time. It embodies the unique combination of a lifestyle and design-oriented vehicle that is ecologically appealing," said Smart President Ulrich Walker."

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/11965/smart-minicar-coming-to-us.html
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Gas mileage isn't so phenomenal on whatever version we're getting. IIRC, a Toyota Yaris gets 34 mpg combined with a 5-passenger capacity for the same price.

93JC

The version the states gets right now, as of today, is not stock. It's been modified to meet EPA emissions standards. Why it doesn't meet standards, I don't know. What they did to make it meet standards, I don't know.

This modified, EPA-ized third-party Smart only gets 40/40, which is pretty bad for its size and power.
The original, unmodified, gasoline-powered car gets 40/59.
The original, unmodified diesel (the one sold in Canada) gets 51/64.

That's phenominal compared to anything else.

ifcar

Raza's article was talking about the 2nd-gen ForTwo, which will be officially sold in the US.

93JC

ro51092

According to ChrisV's site, the price is ~$26,000?

You would have to be fucking retarded to buy one for that price. If they were in the 4-digit ranges, then I would be okay with them.

Catman

Quote from: ro51092 on March 31, 2007, 07:07:12 PM
According to ChrisV's site, the price is ~$26,000?

You would have to be fucking retarded to buy one for that price. If they were in the 4-digit ranges, then I would be okay with them.

I agree.  Looking at it I would think $8000 or so.  This is considering you could buy a reg car for around $10K.

Tave

Quote from: 93JC on March 31, 2007, 06:24:24 PM
That's phenominal compared to anything else.

No it's not. The Insight makes that, the Prius makes about that. Older, small diesels make that. Tons of different types of motorcycles and scooters make better than that.

Shit, the Honda Civic makes the same mileage as the U.S. Smart.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 31, 2007, 09:19:12 PM
No it's not. The Insight makes that, the Prius makes about that. Older, small diesels make that. Tons of different types of motorcycles and scooters make better than that.

Shit, the Honda Civic makes the same mileage as the U.S. Smart.

The Prius and the Civic both cost a lot more.  Image conscious people wouldn't want to buy an older diesel.  Motorcycles and scooters aren't very practical.

You realize who is supposed to buy these, right?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8360.msg403185#msg403185 date=1175434524
The Prius and the Civic both cost a lot more.? Image conscious people wouldn't want to buy an older diesel.? Motorcycles and scooters aren't very practical.

You realize who is supposed to buy these, right?

Yes, I'm just questioning whether or not highway mileage is, in fact, "phenominal."

I think this thing is going to be uncomfortable and thirsty on long interstate trips @ 80. That's perfectly fine, since it wasn't designed as an interstate car.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 01, 2007, 09:34:30 AM
Yes, I'm just questioning whethehttp://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=403264;topic=8360.30;num_replies=44;sesc=fda5619e7379d2ff6e8769f449e5e473r or not highway mileage is, in fact, "phenominal."

I think this thing is going to be uncomfortable and thirsty on long interstate trips @ 80. That's perfectly fine, since it wasn't designed as an interstate car.

Perhaps wind noise would become bothersome, but even that is speculation.  I don't doubt its ability to get 40mpg on the interstates, nor do I doubt that it can easily make 40mpg in the city.  The alternative of a Prius is no alternative at all, since not only is it much larger, it's also twice the price.  Though it thrives in city traffic, the Smart car is an alternative to not having a car, or even having a motorcycle.  It's for image conscious city dwellers who would rather have a car than not, and the small size of the Fortwo makes it ideal for jaunts within a city.  I've driven a boat (W140 LWB) in the city, it can easily become strenuous. 

And you're right.  This isn't supposed to be a road trip car, so I agree, it should be just fine.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i