A car for under $1500

Started by TBR, June 15, 2005, 03:27:45 PM

ifcar

Not very good, thanks partly to the engines and thanks partly to the size of the vehicles they were typically used in.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteAnother good deal for a comfortable reliable car that should average in the mid 20's is a 3800 powered GM. These are good unless you want a manual. They also suffer from horrible resale and you should have a good selection in your price range.
I agree.  My Lesabre is worth right now no more than 2k and has not had any problems in the last year except for a PS leak that didn't amount to anything.  

If you don't want a manual, take a look at cheap, old domestic cruisers.  Some of them, like Lincoln Mark 8s can be quite fast, but in general with torquey V-8s they are all pretty powerful and nice rides.
My only problem with bigger cars is gas mileage. I know the 3800 is pretty good on gas, but what about the V8s from Ford and GM?
For a new driver and someone who probobly isn't looking for a land yacht, i'd stay away from the v-8 rwd car area. Lincolns are known to have problems with their air suspension which can lead to costly repairs or at best(cheapest) a messed up ride.

Compared to larger heavier v-8 sedans the FWD gm cars are pretty nice. They have plenty of power, get good mileage and can be fairly light(sub 3500lbs).

Also due to their long production run and large model base(Grand prix, bonneville, several olds, buick's) they are a dime a dozen and parts are cheap, easily available and interchangable.

TBR

QuoteAnother good deal for a comfortable reliable car that should average in the mid 20's is a 3800 powered GM. These are good unless you want a manual. They also suffer from horrible resale and you should have a good selection in your price range.
I agree.  My Lesabre is worth right now no more than 2k and has not had any problems in the last year except for a PS leak that didn't amount to anything.  

If you don't want a manual, take a look at cheap, old domestic cruisers.  Some of them, like Lincoln Mark 8s can be quite fast, but in general with torquey V-8s they are all pretty powerful and nice rides.
My only problem with bigger cars is gas mileage. I know the 3800 is pretty good on gas, but what about the V8s from Ford and GM?
The Ford 5.0 in the CV and Grand Marc isn't good but if you can find a GM 5.7, as used in 94-96 Roadmasters and Fleetwoods and cop Caprices(not sure of the years) you will get nice highway mileage and acceptible city mileage.
Anything with the 350 is too expensive (including the Roadmaster, Caprice, and Fleetwood), what about the 305?  

FlatBlackCaddy

You have to remember weight, getting a caprice with a 305 would get you nothing(except RWD, big deal). A 305 caprice will be slower, heavier and get worse gas mileage than a 3800 powered vehicle. Repairs would be about the same.

TBR

QuoteYou have to remember weight, getting a caprice with a 305 would get you nothing(except RWD, big deal). A 305 caprice will be slower, heavier and get worse gas mileage than a 3800 powered vehicle. Repairs would be about the same.
3800 it is or maybe not. How good is the reputation of GM's DOHC 3.4l V6? (it was available in the Grand Prix, Lumina, Regal, and Cutlass Supreme) I have heard that it had some major gasket issues, I am I remembering correctly?  

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't recall the exact problems, but compared to the 3800 it isn't very steller, it wasn't a bad motor it just suffered from GM's odd way of thinking. They intoduced a few OHC(DOHC) v-6's over the years, had minor problems with them and basically gave up, never getting the chance to refine the mill over a long period of time. They always fell back on their OHV motors. This is basically why the 3800 is the best GM v-6 thoughout the 90's.

Personally i'd shy away from early 90's GM DOHC v-6's.

TBR

QuoteI don't recall the exact problems, but compared to the 3800 it isn't very steller, it wasn't a bad motor it just suffered from GM's odd way of thinking. They intoduced a few OHC(DOHC) v-6's over the years, had minor problems with them and basically gave up, never getting the chance to refine the mill over a long period of time. They always fell back on their OHV motors. This is basically why the 3800 is the best GM v-6 thoughout the 90's.

Okay, 3.8l it is. Though it has always struck me as odd that GM tried the DOHC V6 and manual tranismission combination 15 years ago and it apparantly didn't work out very well yet everyone always gripes about them being behind the times with their powertrains.  

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI don't recall the exact problems, but compared to the 3800 it isn't very steller, it wasn't a bad motor it just suffered from GM's odd way of thinking. They intoduced a few OHC(DOHC) v-6's over the years, had minor problems with them and basically gave up, never getting the chance to refine the mill over a long period of time. They always fell back on their OHV motors. This is basically why the 3800 is the best GM v-6 thoughout the 90's.

Okay, 3.8l it is. Though it has always struck me as odd that GM tried the DOHC V6 and manual tranismission combination 15 years ago and it apparantly didn't work out very well yet everyone always gripes about them being behind the times with their powertrains.
Yup that is pretty dumb, and its there fault in a way. They just didn't put the effort and time into refining their new motors, and when push came to shove(beancounters) they just shelved the new v-6 and gave the 3800 a refresher.

TBR

Yup that is pretty dumb, and its there fault in a way. They just didn't put the effort and time into refining their new motors, and when push came to shove(beancounters) they just shelved the new v-6 and gave the 3800 a refresher.
Yep, but it doesn't look like they will be doing that with the 2.8/3.6l. Of course they aren't putting it in any mainstreamers either (unless you count the Lacrosse which is right on the fringe of being a luxury car imho).  

crv16

I don't care about a manual at this point.
One of the weakest points in an old car is the transmission.  A manual tranny is generally more reliable, cheaper and easier to maintain or repair.  Not to mention that fewer and fewer people *want* a manual, therefore it drives down the value of cars that do have sticks.

I'd recommend a high mileage Ranger 4x2 with manual transmission, preferably a 97-99.  96 and earlier rangers had the "twin ibeam" front suspension that sucked.  I bet you can pick up one with 150k on the clock in your price range.  They are dead simple.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Run Away

I like the 323 idea, they're quite reliable and cheap.

I've always wanted to make my own GTX version sans 4WD and turbo the shit out of one.B)

TBR

QuoteI like the 323 idea, they're quite reliable and cheap.

I've always wanted to make my own GTX version sans 4WD and turbo the shit out of one.B)
I like that idea too, the problem is availability.  

280Z Turbo

Beware of a car that costs $800...especially when the owner lowers the price to $650 without any bartering.

To end up with a car like the Saab, do what I did:

-Ignore the loud clunk of the transmission when it pops out of reverse
-Plan on fixing those electrical glitches easily
-Figure that the stalling problem is a simple problem that you can fix yourself
-Be really impressed with features like heated leather seats, power windows and locks, auto climate control, etc.
-Ignore clicking noises from the engine
-Don't check fluid levels
-Don't have a mechanic look at it
-Make sure it has a turbo, DOHCs, or something to make it more complex
-Don't research other models like it
-Trust the owner. If he seems like a nice guy he must be totally honest!
-Those recent repairs show that it's all ready for you to buy!

Finally:
-Call the local junkyard a couple months later and see how much they want for it! :lol:

That Saab 9000 Turbo is going to change the way I buy cars.

Raza

Is the Saab for sale?  I'll take it off your hands.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

How about an older Accord?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

QuoteIs the Saab for sale?  I'll take it off your hands.
The Saab is in the junkyard. It was worthless.

TBR

QuoteHow about an older Accord?
Too expensive, those older accords can be pretty pricey.  

Raza

QuoteIs the Saab for sale?  I'll take it off your hands.
The Saab is in the junkyard. It was worthless.
:(

Saabs... :wub:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

How much did you pay for the 280Z again?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

The Z was $1100. I lucked out on that one because it turned out to be a pretty decent car. I still should have been more thorough when inspecting the car. I didn't even test drive it!

The first time I turned a corner I was very suprised to find that there was no power steering! :o I had to let my dad drive it home because I couldn't. :lol:

You really want to make sure that you research the car you're looking at!

Raza

QuoteThe Z was $1100. I lucked out on that one because it turned out to be a pretty decent car. I still should have been more thorough when inspecting the car. I didn't even test drive it!

The first time I turned a corner I was very suprised to find that there was no power steering! :o I had to let my dad drive it home because I couldn't. :lol:

You really want to make sure that you research the car you're looking at!
How did you find it?  Autotrader?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

I found it in the local classifieds. I didn't buy it until after it failed to meet the reserve on eBay. It would have been $2000 if I had not waited.

Run Away

Yeah, Sean made some really good points there.
Make sure to go over every single part of the body, offer to wash the car for the owner. Gives you some time to go over the body with a fine tooth comb.
Check underneath too for dents and stuff.
Ask for receipts for all the work that is claimed to have been done to the car, and if he doesn't have them, check out the parts to ensure that they are new.

Most importantly, do research on the car. I got screwed over on my car too because I trusted the seller too much and didn't ask for receipts - he said there was work done that I found out later wasn't done at all. Finally, don't let mileage fool you.

Raza

Please...research takes the surprise out of it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

QuotePlease...research takes the surprise out of it.
Expensive suprises are not fun, especially when you're 2000kms away from home and need to get your broke ass home that week. :(  

Raza

Expensive suprises are not fun, especially when you're 2000kms away from home and need to get your broke ass home that week. :(
2000kms? I live in America. Kilometers don't exist here.

:P  ;)  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

I don't care about a manual at this point.
One of the weakest points in an old car is the transmission.  A manual tranny is generally more reliable, cheaper and easier to maintain or repair.  Not to mention that fewer and fewer people *want* a manual, therefore it drives down the value of cars that do have sticks.
That's all true. But on high-mileage cars you're taking a huge risk with the condition of the clutch and gearbox. And if somehow you end up messing it up, the cost of replacement is terrible. We spent $600 on the A4, and that was a mechanic we know very well.

If I were him I'd go for an Auto, unless I he's already really good at stick.

Run Away

2000kms? I live in America. Kilometers don't exist here.

:P  ;)
Roughly 1300miles. :rolleyes:  

850CSi

QuoteThe first time I turned a corner I was very suprised to find that there was no power steering! :o I had to let my dad drive it home because I couldn't. :lol:
When the alternator belt broke on the A4, I found steering to be reminiscent of a Skoda I drive regularly overseas. Except this was a million times worse because it was a surprise and because that Skoda was FWD and didn't weigh 3200lbs.

I pulled over and barely managed to park correctly. :lol:

I actually liked non-power steering on that Skoda. It was a bit of a pain when parallel parking, but once you got up to speed, it had a directness that very few cars with power steering possess. Kind of reminded me of a 3-Series.

Run Away

Hehe I've disabled the power steering on my car. Broke, and it was the middle of winter so I didn't feel like fixing it myself and I was too cheap to take it to a garage, then I ended up really liking the amount of road feel I got, and it's still like that to this day.

I just hope damage doesn't occur to the steering rack. I asked around and there has been a bunch of people who have removed power steering with no ill effects so I should be fine.