A car for under $1500

Started by TBR, June 15, 2005, 03:27:45 PM

TBR

I will probably end up with an auto just because that is what is available around here, not many stick shifts, even in econo cars.  

giant_mtb

QuoteHehe I've disabled the power steering on my car. Broke, and it was the middle of winter so I didn't feel like fixing it myself and I was too cheap to take it to a garage, then I ended up really liking the amount of road feel I got, and it's still like that to this day.

I just hope damage doesn't occur to the steering rack. I asked around and there has been a bunch of people who have removed power steering with no ill effects so I should be fine.
Must be a blast with your 4WS.  :lol:  

Raza

What about a Volvo?  740?  240?

Why'd you say no on the RX7 again?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteWhat about a Volvo?  740?  240?

Insurance, plus availability of parts. No European cars because of the cost of parts. Right now it looks like the best thing to do will be to buy whatever car I can get the best deal on.  

Raza

QuoteWhat about a Volvo?  740?  240?

Insurance, plus availability of parts. No European cars because of the cost of parts. Right now it looks like the best thing to do will be to buy whatever car I can get the best deal on.
Sounds about right.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SargeMonkey

Just but a used toyota, they it should last for more than you need it.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TBR

QuoteJust but a used toyota, they it should last for more than you need it.
Too expensive

Raza

I say get a moped.

Oh!  A Vespa!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteI say get a moped.

Oh!  A Vespa!
Everything will be 30+ miles away from where we are going to move so that won't work very good.  

Raza

QuoteI say get a moped.

Oh!  A Vespa!
Everything will be 30+ miles away from where we are going to move so that won't work very good.
They get like 50mpg.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteI say get a moped.

Oh!  A Vespa!
They get like 50mpg.
Did I mention that that 30 mile drive involved a major arterie of Houston with lots of traffic and a 70 mph speed limit.  

Raza

QuoteI say get a moped.

Oh!  A Vespa!
They get like 50mpg.
Did I mention that that 30 mile drive involved a major arterie of Houston with lots of traffic and a 70 mph speed limit.
Fine.  You be that way.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Do it redneck style: handmedowns!  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

QuoteI agree with Raza.  You should get a Vespa.
See?  Everyone agrees.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

Top speed is about 80 KMH on a Vespa, or 50 mph.  Definitely not fast, but fast enough for most highways.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteTop speed is about 80 KMH on a Vespa, or 50 mph.  Definitely not fast, but fast enough for most highways.
Not for one with many big trucks going over the 70 mph speed limit, mopeds are pretty much useless imho.  

BMWDave

QuoteTop speed is about 80 KMH on a Vespa, or 50 mph.  Definitely not fast, but fast enough for most highways.
Not for one with many big trucks going over the 70 mph speed limit, mopeds are pretty much useless imho.
I would not want to be in one at that speed.  Have you tried looking at a used motorcycle maybe?

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteTop speed is about 80 KMH on a Vespa, or 50 mph.  Definitely not fast, but fast enough for most highways.
I would not want to be in one at that speed.  Have you tried looking at a used motorcycle maybe?
What happens when it rains and I have to get to work? A motor cycle won't work, besides the fact that my over protective parents would never let me have one.  

BMWDave

QuoteTop speed is about 80 KMH on a Vespa, or 50 mph.? Definitely not fast, but fast enough for most highways.
What happens when it rains and I have to get to work? A motor cycle won't work, besides the fact that my over protective parents would never let me have one.
yea, motorcycles are very dangerous.  I would never drive on as a daily driver on the street.  

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

That's really too bad. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't winter 6 months of the year, I would definitley have a motorcycle as my only method of transportation.

BMWDave

QuoteThat's really too bad. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't winter 6 months of the year, I would definitley have a motorcycle as my only method of transportation.
Lets say youre in a crash with one...there is absolutely nothing protecting you.  If a car nudges you and you go down on a highway, and you hit the pavement at 70mph, even if you survive, you have to worry about getting run over.  Its really not my thing.

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

QuoteThat's really too bad. If I lived somewhere where it wasn't winter 6 months of the year, I would definitley have a motorcycle as my only method of transportation.
Lets say youre in a crash with one...there is absolutely nothing protecting you.  If a car nudges you and you go down on a highway, and you hit the pavement at 70mph, even if you survive, you have to worry about getting run over.  Its really not my thing.
I know the dangers, and I would definitley take them..
Though I am a speed freak, I am also quite cautious.
I biked year round (2 feet of snow, whatever, I needed to get to school) ever single day for 4 years of my life until I got a car.
The winter biking taught me alot of traction and how to use it, and it also gave me an excellent balence on the bike because some times one wheel would slip sideways when on an ice bump. But I do know that with motorbikes is't far easier to slip up, and the dynamics arn't quite the same.

Besides, the element of danger is probably what gives me the biggest rush. Not that I'm a adrenaline junkie, but you have to have you fun somehow.

BMWDave

I know the dangers, and I would definitley take them..
Though I am a speed freak, I am also quite cautious.
I biked year round (2 feet of snow, whatever, I needed to get to school) ever single day for 4 years of my life until I got a car.
The winter biking taught me alot of traction and how to use it, and it also gave me an excellent balence on the bike because some times one wheel would slip sideways when on an ice bump.

Besides, the element of danger is probably what gives me the biggest rush. Not that I'm a adrenaline junkie, but you have to have you fun somehow.
I guess you could look at it that way...but I would be scared of not falling off, but of getting hit or something.

2007 Honda S2000

280Z Turbo

I would think that a lot of motorcycle accidents are the result of people being stupid on them.

We've all seen those morons on croch rockets flying down a busy road at 70 mph while popping a wheelie. That's a good way to get yourself killed.

The other thing is people not seeing you. That's why I think loud pipes are a good idea for motorcycles; even if they don't see you, they should at least hear you coming.

BMWDave

QuoteI would think that a lot of motorcycle accidents are the result of people being stupid on them.

We've all seen those morons on croch rockets flying down a busy road at 70 mph while popping a wheelie. That's a good way to get yourself killed.

The other thing is people not seeing you. That's why I think loud pipes are a good idea for motorcycles; even if they don't see you, they should at least hear you coming.
I think Motorcyclists are at fault for that, since a lot of time they try to take up less space than a car, when really, they should just stay in the middle of the lane, but instead they are darting in an out of cars, popping wheelies, etc.  Its very disconcerting to other drivers, and very dangerous as well.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I would never take the risk of driving a motorcyle in heavy traffic, it is just stupid and can't be all that fun unless you drive at break neck speed which is, of course, even more stupid. However, I bet that there aren't many things more relaxing and fun than driving a bike on a nice country road.  

BMWDave

QuoteI would never take the risk of driving a motorcyle in heavy traffic, it is just stupid and can't be all that fun unless you drive at break neck speed which is, of course, even more stupid. However, I bet that there aren't many things more relaxing and fun than driving a bike on a nice country road.
It definitely would be nice.  I still would rather drive a sports car though.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

Thats why those street legal go cart things are kickass.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SargeMonkey

I hate crotch rockets, I would love to get an older used roadking though, loud and  comfy.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Raza

Um, I thought we agreed.  Vespas.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i