Started by 850CSi, April 05, 2007, 02:58:51 PM

Rather straightforward...

'Stang [Shelby GT]
10 (23.8%)
GTO
32 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

850CSi

Okay, spawned by the other thread since the 'Stang defeated the 350Z... I was thinking about this and I honestly can't decide...

(Ignore the fact that the GTO is dead.)

They say the GTO handles a bit better and I'd rather have an LS2 over just about anything, but the 'Stang is (IMO) better looking inside and out. Not that the GTO's a bad-looking car, it's just a little bland (again IMO). GTO's definitely a better sleeper.

I still can't decide what to vote.

the Teuton

You can now get the GTO for almost $10k less.  Plus, the interior looks better, and that's where I want to be.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

I went with the GTO.

The Mustang GT really only has legacy and more popular styling on its side. Oh, perhaps add in a bit for the aftermarket crowd, but the GTO (LSx really) has a ton as well.

For me, it's 400hp, 6sp MT, IRS, and more upscale interior that seals the deal.

GTO, kinda like my car but with back seats and a good interior.

Onslaught

GTO for me. I like the looks of the interior and exterior more and I'm more a fan of GM than I am of Ford.
The only reason I would probably get a Mustang over it would be the fact that I work for a Ford dealership and could get one at cost.

Ron From Regina

I chose mustang for 2 reasons.

1. GTO isn't sold in Canada because it won't pass crash tests here.

2. I already own a J-body. I don't need another car in my garage that looks just like it.

The Pirate

Man, I need to think about this one.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SJ_GTI

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

SVT666

Mustang. :rockon:

Besides the GTO was never sold in Canada, so even if I wanted it I couldn't get it.  Besides , the GTO looks like a Cavalier. YUCK!

SVT666

Quote from: 850CSi on April 05, 2007, 02:58:51 PM
Okay, spawned by the other thread since the 'Stang defeated the 350Z... I was thinking about this and I honestly can't decide...
You beat me to it.  I had started the same poll but I got a phone call and it timed out on me. :lol:

LonghornTX

Mustang for me.  The GTO is boring looking and heavy compared to the Mustang.  Plus the Mustang has a much better aftermarket, and that means a lot to someone like me (though I admit, this probably does not apply to most people).
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Onslaught

I think the GTO (this one not the old ones) looks good. But then again I think most domestic sport/muscle cars are over styled and not to my taste. I must like dull looking cars.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 05, 2007, 03:50:12 PM
Mustang. :rockon:

Besides the GTO was never sold in Canada, so even if I wanted it I couldn't get it. Besides , the GTO looks like a Cavalier. YUCK!

Better to look like a Cavalier than a brick. :lol:

I believe that if Pontiac would have called it a G8 coupe, 90% of the bitching about the styling would go away. People had this idea in their heads that a GTO was supposed to be a big loud flourescent orange thing from 1969 with 16 racing stripes, side exhaust, big scoops and frickin' laser beams attached to the roof.

The GTO is supposed to be an understated European style GT, not a midlife crisismobile.

I mean look at the '64 GTO. You can barely tell it's not just a regular old Tempest:

Honestly, after looking at both, there is not a single practical thing better about the Mustang. The GTO has better suspension, seats, instrumentation, interior, engine...you name it.

SVT666

Yu can use the '64 GTO all you want, but the GTO wasn't just a '64 just like the Mustang wasnt just a '64 1/2.  How about these ones?  There's nothing subdued about them:

1969 Pontiac GTO

1970 Pontiac GTO

1971 Pontiac GTO

1972 Pontiac GTO

280Z Turbo

And the '64 looks the best, if you ask me. I don't care for the body color nose of the '68+.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 05, 2007, 03:01:06 PM
You can now get the GTO for almost $10k less.? Plus, the interior looks better, and that's where I want to be.

In that case, GTO. But if it came down to price, I'd have to go with the 'stang, because I'm just cheap like that.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: mazda6er on April 05, 2007, 06:43:54 PM
http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=2529.0

Blast from the past, just for kicks and comparison.

The GTO won then, and it wins now. It's a winner!  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lebowski

Mustang is better looking (exterior).  The GTO is better in every other way, so I voted GTO.

Raza

I went Mustang back then, which was a moment of insanity.  GTO.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

Quote from: Raza  on April 05, 2007, 07:53:23 PM
I went Mustang back then, which was a moment of insanity.  GTO.
If you read the posts, you'll even notice that I wasn't an asshole back then. My how a year changes things.

EDIT: That thread was before I met my ex. Now it all makes sense.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

LonghornTX

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 05, 2007, 06:02:09 PM
Honestly, after looking at both, there is not a single practical thing better about the Mustang. The GTO has better suspension, seats, instrumentation, interior, engine...you name it.
While the GTO may have an advantage in those categories, it was also a more expensive car (sometimes by a pretty wide margin, before GM started giving them away), which made it less practical in the most important category, price.  It also had a sloppy shifter (at least in the year I drove) and a heavier burden to lug around the track (~275lbs heavier for the LS1 model).  These, in addition to the conservative/boring/dated styling elements that killed the whole idea from the start (IMO) would lead to the extinction of just about any 2-door domestically branded coupe in that price segment me thinks.  I have a sneaking suspicion that most people could not accept this newest interpretation as a true GTO heir, despite its good performance and ergonomics.  Even considering what you mentioned about the older models 280z, I feel people were probably looking for something closer to the 69+ models HEMI posted.

All that being said, I do like the GTO.  I liked how it drove. I liked the idea of it.  I just could not buy a car that I thought looked so anonimous....Heres to GM fixing that the next time around  :partyon: (if there is a next time).
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

JYODER240

I haven't driven the Shelby but I have driven a GT and a LS2 GTO. The GTO is a better car, has a little better handling although it doesn't feel as nimble, better interior, better engine, and better steering. But it just doesn't do anything for me. I got done driving it and couldn't wait to drive my Z. If I see one driving down the road I notice it but then immediatly forget about it. The Mustang is different, I still like my Z better, but when I drive or see one all I can think of is that it is one cool car. Mustang gets my vote.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sandertheshark

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 05, 2007, 06:02:09 PM

The GTO is supposed to be an understated European style GT, not a midlife crisismobile.

I mean look at the '64 GTO. You can barely tell it's not just a regular old Tempest:
Exactly.  It's supposed to be just like another cheap Pontiac.  With ground-shaking V-8 power.

GTO FTW!!

SVT_Power

GTO. First i thought it was a no brainer and voted GTO before I saw the shelby part. Still would go for the GTO though
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 05, 2007, 09:15:15 PM
Exactly.? It's supposed to be just like another cheap Pontiac.? With ground-shaking V-8 power.

GTO FTW!!
Check out the pictures I posted of the so-called "...cheap Pontiac.  With ground-shaking V-8 power".  It didn't exactly look anonymous when it was redesigned to battle Mustang and Friends.  It wouldn't have survived as long as it did without the redesign, because people wanted muscle cars that looked role.

thewizard16

GTO. It's a less aggressive looking sports car, but it's classy in it's own sense, and it's a nicer car overall. I like the Mustang quite a bit, but I'd take a GTO first.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ChrisV

If it was my wallet voting, it'd be Mustang all the way (GT that is, not Shelby). I'd love a black on black GT mustang, the sound, and the looks. But, I will admit that overall, the GTO is the better car, and yes, that 400 hp LS2 is a serious draw. And I like the looks almost as much as I like the Mustang's. So in this comparison, against the Shelby, the GTO gets the vote from me.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Cobra93

Mustang for me, obviously.? :ohyeah: I looked at GTO's before I ordered my Mustang, but the price difference wasn't worth the 50 HP and at the time the desperation sales hadn't started on the GTO's. I really like the LS2 ones, but the only thing I'd think of trading for now would be the Bullit Mustang.