Started by 850CSi, April 05, 2007, 02:58:51 PM

Rather straightforward...

'Stang [Shelby GT]
10 (23.8%)
GTO
32 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

VetteZ06

Quote from: Nethead on April 12, 2007, 08:41:35 AMI know the GTOheads in these threads are a touchy bunch--but what killed the GTO was simply that there was a competing car with better looks, better build quality, and almost as much performance for a LOT less money.

:confused:

We're talking about the Mustang here, right?

SVT666

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 13, 2007, 03:01:21 PM

I don't think anyone can say which is built better.  The Mustang is one of the most reliable vehicles sold in North America, but the GTO uses better interior materials.  Interior materials have nothing to do with build quality.

Onslaught

And neither one of them are old enough to be called reliable yet in my books. A car needs to me 5+ years old before you can say it's reliable. A brand new car design better not be having problems this soon in it's life.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on April 13, 2007, 03:33:50 PM
And neither one of them are old enough to be called reliable yet in my books. A car needs to me 5+ years old before you can say it's reliable. A brand new car design better not be having problems this soon in it's life.
Except the Mustang has been consistently rated one of the most reliable cars for years.

Onslaught

But that car has nothing to do with the new one for the most part. I'm not saying that the Mustang is unreliable but we won't know for some time now just how good it is or isn't.
I couldn't stand the 80's or 90's Mustang so I'm sure this new one is way better in every way.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Nethead on April 13, 2007, 08:19:45 AM
LonghornTX: LongDude, how can I drive a new GTO?? Unless of course there are still some unsold 2006s at Pontiac dealerships...

And I'm not completely discrediting the Extinct GTO, Second Edition.? However, and I hate to have to repeat this a third or fourth time, Pontiac claimed that the 3,777 pounds GTO was their resurrected musclecar.? Dodge claims that their 4,266 pounds Charger SRT8 four-door automatic is their resurrected musclecar.? Ford claims that their 3,990 pounds Shelby GT500 with a lowly live-axle is their musclecar.? Chevrolet claimed that their ??? pounds Monte Carlo SS was their resurrected musclecar.? Motor Trend listened to these four companies talk the talk, and decided to find out just how well the hardware from these companies could walk the walk, but spared big-advertising-bucks Chevrolet the embarrassment and humiliation of having to go up against these three 400 HP (and up) pavement rippers, even if one of them only comes as a four-door automatic.?

I am not going to repeat the results for the three vehicles in tests of 0-60, 0-100, standing-start quarter-mile, 600-feet slalom, the figure-eight, and 60-0 braking.? It's obvious you're as touchy as all the other GTOheads on this subject, so I will let you read the article (so you will know the Nethead here didn't fudge the figures a little here and there to make the GTO look bad) yourself.? The article is entitled "Thunder Road" on pages 48-57 in the July, 2006 issue of Motor Trend.? All three were tested at the same time in the same place by the same drivers, which should eliminate whining that one was tested downhill at sea level in sub-freezing conditions while the others were tested on a boulder-strewn uphill climb at 7,000 feet in the Andes at the Equator.

This was a strictly "as delivered from the manufacturers" comparo--no rear slicks/front skinnies nor air filters removed nor stripped interiors nor aftermarket brake pads nor trick aftermarket shocks nor lowering springs nor yada yada yada...These are the cars you get ("got" in the case of the GTO) when you buy ("bought" in the case of the GTO) one off the floor of the respective dealerships.? There was nothing up this sleeve nor nothing up that sleeve.

Go read the story.

Now, all three cranked out impressive figures.? Too bad the naturally-aspirated 5.0 liter (a stroked 4.6 3-valver) Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition wasn't available back in April or May when this comparo was done--it woulda finished in second place (per Motor Trend testing at a later date) and would have beaten every one of them around The Streets of Willow racetrack.? But it's a tuner car, cammed and geared more for roadracing than for the strip, so it may have an unfair advantage in the slalom, in the 8, and in braking.

Hey, Netdude, just because a car does not win out in a comparison test does not mean it is not a good car.  The newGTO is a good car to drive, inhabit, and own (from what I hear at least), no matter how it did in comparison to the GT500, a car which was significantly more expensive to buy in the real world.   

Go drive one and form your own opinions about the car and stop quoting the same Motortrend comparison test  :ohyeah:.  I know you like the mustang (as do I), but you are starting to sound like a troll :lol:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

99% of Motor Trend is rubbish anyway.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8461.msg417047#msg417047 date=1176511289
99% of Motor Trend is rubbish anyway.
Yea, I agree with that.  I stopped reading their mag on a consistent basis a long time ago.....

TBR

"LongDude, how can I drive a new GTO?  Unless of course there are still some unsold 2006s at Pontiac dealerships..."

Actually, there is one on the lot of my local dealer...

"Now, all three cranked out impressive figures.  Too bad the naturally-aspirated 5.0 liter (a stroked 4.6 3-valver) Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition wasn't available back in April or May when this comparo was done--it woulda finished in second place (per Motor Trend testing at a later date) and would have beaten every one of them around The Streets of Willow racetrack.  But it's a tuner car, cammed and geared more for roadracing than for the strip, so it may have an unfair advantage in the slalom, in the 8, and in braking."

You think? An expensive, tuner car would be faster than a stock one? I'd never believe it. Maybe we should compare a Ligenfelter GTO to a stock GT. Oh wait, that wouldn't make any sense, now would it?

I'll be getting data from Car and Driver and Road and Track tomorrow (if I remember), both of which are far more reputable sources than MT.

mazda6er

Alright, I say dude a lot in the course of talking on the internet and in real life, but I swear to God, if Netdude combines one more user name with "dude" I will kill puppies until they are extinct.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Nethead

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 13, 2007, 03:01:21 PM

VetteZ06:  Yes, we certainly are!  In 2005, Consumer Reports found that the 2004 Mustang had only 5 defects per 100 sold--the best build quality of any domestic or foreign car built in the USA.  Two low-volume Korean imports (built in Korea, not here) scored higher at 3 defects per 100 sold.  All the other vehicles built in the US or outside the US and imported here had more defects per 100 sold.
So many stairs...so little time...

Nethead

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 13, 2007, 04:25:09 PM
Hey, Netdude, just because a car does not win out in a comparison test does not mean it is not a good car.? The newGTO is a good car to drive, inhabit, and own (from what I hear at least), no matter how it did in comparison to the GT500, a car which was significantly more expensive to buy in the real world.? ?

Go drive one and form your own opinions about the car and stop quoting the same Motortrend comparison test? :ohyeah:.? I know you like the mustang (as do I), but you are starting to sound like a troll :lol:.

LonghornTX:? The Nethead here knows where you're coming from, and I'm willing to listen carefully when you yourself get to test a GTO, an SRT8 Charger, and a GT500 at the same track or dragstrip on the same day.? Let me know when that is, and we'll drink 'til we stink afterwards :partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

Otherwise, I don't have a whole lot of choice but to listen carefully to the one group that HAS gotten to test a GTO, an SRT8 Charger, and a GT500 at the same track on the same day...

All the touchy GTOheads in this thread never liked them well enough to buy a new one for themselves, now did they?? Even GTOphile Raza passed on a GTO to buy a Boxster S (which shows that his judgment remains unblemished)...

When you start talking the talk that you've resurrected the Godfather of all the intermediate-sized musclecars, you better have a vehicle that can outperform all the others that say you're talkin' bullshit.? Else shut up and hope nobody noticed!

Motor Trend noticed, but apparently no one else did--where else have you seen these three vehicles tested by the same drivers on the same day at the same location???

And if Motor Trend was too hapless to get the GTO up to its maximum guts, they're too hapless to have gotten the SRT8 Charger up to its maximum guts and too hapless to have gotten the GT500 up to its maximum guts so the results would still be exactly the same--only each one's speeds would have been somewhat faster, each one's times would have been somewhat lower, yada yada yada.? Nothing would change.

As I've said before but the touchy refuse to acknowledge:? The GTO is almost certainly the fastest GM import and probably outperforms every domestic GM product except the Corvettes and maybe the Cadillac XLR.? Have you touchy GTOheads got a problem with that?? If so, please enlighten us what other GM import or domestic outperforms the GTO...

Nethead

Quote from: mazda6er on April 14, 2007, 12:28:45 AM
Alright, I say dude a lot in the course of talking on the internet and in real life, but I swear to God, if Netdude combines one more user name with "dude" I will kill puppies until they are extinct.

That's tough shit for the puppydudes...

Nethead

Quote from: TBR on April 14, 2007, 12:10:31 AM
"LongDude, how can I drive a new GTO?? Unless of course there are still some unsold 2006s at Pontiac dealerships..."

Actually, there is one on the lot of my local dealer...

"Now, all three cranked out impressive figures.? Too bad the naturally-aspirated 5.0 liter (a stroked 4.6 3-valver) Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition wasn't available back in April or May when this comparo was done--it woulda finished in second place (per Motor Trend testing at a later date) and would have beaten every one of them around The Streets of Willow racetrack.? But it's a tuner car, cammed and geared more for roadracing than for the strip, so it may have an unfair advantage in the slalom, in the 8, and in braking."

You think? An expensive, tuner car would be faster than a stock one? I'd never believe it. Maybe we should compare a Ligenfelter GTO to a stock GT. Oh wait, that wouldn't make any sense, now would it?

I'll be getting data from Car and Driver and Road and Track tomorrow (if I remember), both of which are far more reputable sources than MT.

TBR:? TBRDude, the Nethead here knows the Saleen PJ Edition is a pricey tuner car--did you not notice that I said as much in the posting?? The point there was that proper attention to details makes a naturally-aspirated 5.0 liter able to outperform everything but a supercharged, intercooled, dual-injected, DOHC 5.4.? To the Nethead here, the Saleen PJ is going about the high-performance vehicle development the right way--because I am so friggin' ancient that I saw great vehicles like the original G.T. 350, Z-28, and Boss 302 shoved aside for big-blocks.? The big-blocks were dead and gone over three decades ago--and bringing them back is less smart now than it was then...That was the point.

However, if you had the Saleen PJ's stroked 4.6 engine, suspension, and brakes but no commemorative bodywork, PJ interior trim, PJ badges, mark-up for being a Saleen, and further mark-up for being a Parnelli Jones Edition, you might have Saleen PJ performance for the low-to-mid $30s when you're starting with an under-$26,000 Mustang GT.? You'd have $10,000 to work with before you reached the SRT8 Charger's list price.? And if the company did it, it could probably be done for less than $10,000 considering all that's done to the GT500 for $40,930.? Food for thought...

omicron

I never liked puppies, anyway.

rohan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 11, 2007, 04:02:58 PM
They could call it a Pontiac Asswipe and it would still be a great car.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Nethead Why do you keep talking like the newer GTO was so unbelievably heavy?? ? :wtf:
I'm not doing every year because I'm just showing how they could be fat pigs too-
1964 GTO 3443
1968 GTO 3506
1969 GTO 3503
1970 GTO 3641
1971 GTO 3619
1973 GTO 4029
2005 GTO 3725

And anyone who knows anything about the GM musclecars of that 60's time knows the 4-4-2 was actually better in handling and power

Also- the 06 and 07 Charger and 300c SRT-8's are both 4160
the 07 Shelby Cobra GT500 is 3920

These are all available on teh web and I got the 05 GTO weight from my owners manual in the glovebox.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Nethead on April 14, 2007, 09:34:46 PM
LonghornTX:? Otherwise, I don't have a whole lot of choice but to listen carefully to the one group that HAS gotten to test a GTO, an SRT8 Charger, and a GT500 at the same track on the same day...
I've driven the GTO and SRT-8 on the same day and pretty much the same way!  I can tell you they are pretty close in performance and the GTO gets a decent adnvantage in handling.  They can both do great figure-8's while smoking the tires and they both have wonderful sounding motors.  The SRT-8 has a pretty good interior but the GTO is pretty much better in comfort and styling but I'ld be happy with either.   
As I've said before but the touchy refuse to acknowledge:? The GTO is almost certainly the fastest GM import and probably outperforms every domestic GM product except the Corvettes and maybe the Cadillac XLR.? Have you touchy GTOheads got a problem with that?? If so, please enlighten us what other GM import or domestic outperforms the GTO...
Why are you going on and on- no one here will say that something else outperforms it- that was pretty much the point ot the car wasn't it?  Corvette engine- everyday car looks and ride?

~Chief Seattle

Nethead

rohan:  roDude, what are you talking about? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Nethead Why do you keep talking like the newer GTO was so unbelievably heavy?"

3,777 pounds isn't heavy!  I've never said the GTO was heavy in any posting anywhere in this forum! 

It's the SRT8 Charger that's heavy at 4,266 pounds--but it IS a four-door automatic so that's hardly a shock, right?  Most big four-doors weigh more...What's astonishing is that the SRT8 outhandled and outbraked the GTO despite a weight handicap of nearly 500 pounds. 

Have you read Motor Trend's July, 2006 comparo entitled "Thunder Road"?  Have you read all the other postings in this thread?

From your posting, it sounds like we agree that the GTO is the fastest GM import, and that the GTO outperforms any current GM domestic product except for the Corvettes and possibly the Cadillac XLR.  Anything else?

Raza

The GTO will smoke an XLR.  It has trouble keeping up with an SL500.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8461.msg418818#msg418818 date=1176690849
The GTO will smoke an XLR.? It has trouble keeping up with an SL500.

Raza:  That's what I woulda figured, but I don't keep up on Cadillacs so I could hardly speak with authority on how an XLR might fare against the GTO.  'Glad to hear it!

rohan

Quote from: Nethead on April 15, 2007, 08:20:06 PM
rohan:? roDude, what are you talking about? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Nethead Why do you keep talking like the newer GTO was so unbelievably heavy?"

3,777 pounds isn't heavy!? I've never said the GTO was heavy in any posting anywhere in this forum!?

It's the SRT8 Charger that's heavy at 4,266 pounds--but it IS a four-door automatic so that's hardly a shock, right?? Most big four-doors weigh more...What's astonishing is that the SRT8 outhandled and outbraked the GTO despite a weight handicap of nearly 500 pounds.?

Have you read Motor Trend's July, 2006 comparo entitled "Thunder Road"?? Have you read all the other postings in this thread?

From your posting, it sounds like we agree that the GTO is the fastest GM import, and that the GTO outperforms any current GM domestic product except for the Corvettes and possibly the Cadillac XLR.? Anything else?
Asswipe-Yup- your wrong.? For one thing I don't read that trash rag- it's love for Asain cars disgusts me and sorry- but the SRT-8 hit 0-60 in about 5.0 seconds while the GTO hits in about 4.6.? ? ?Tell me where on this planet that wiell ever mean the SRT-8 is faster to 60mph?? AND- since I onw and drive a 05 GTO every day - except in more than 4 inches of snow- I can tell you it handles noticably better thant the SRT-8.? hounddog and I drove one for about an hour and 1/2 beating it on most every curved road street and highway we knew of in the northern part of the Detroit area.? Even the salesman said we wouldn't like the handling when I told him what I drove into the dealership with.? We drove it so far we had to put $17.00 of gas in and I have a receipt if you want to see it- it has the license plate number on it that the cashier wrote in.? UNLESS you driven both cars- which I doubt you ever have- don't start spouting BS from some magazine writer.? I have 2 high speed pursuit certificates from the Ingham County Sheriff Dept. at Michigan International Speedway in 1994 and 1996 and I've been to the Michigan State Police Advanced Precision Driving and Nighttime Pursuit 2 times too.? This year I'm going to the MSP instructors course that hounddog went to- for all we know those guys have no training on how to handle a car at high speed so why would I ever take their word on anything when the michigan supreme court calls guys like me experts in the field of motorvehicle operations?? ?So stop blowing on about Motortrend-? it's a piece of crap magazine.? Next- DiamlerChrysler says that the SRT-8 weighs 2160.? I don't care what motortrend says it weighs- the MAKER of the car says it weighs 2160.? And asswipe- my car weighs 3725 pounds- according to the MAKER information in my glove box.? Since you don't own either car- if you don't take my word or the maker of either one I really could care less.? ?And when you start getting peoples names right I'll stop calling you asswipe.? If that gets me banned- so be it- I can't stand people like you who know nothing about the actual cars other than what you read in the least considered magazine on the racks.  Now I;'m gotta go see Erica. 

~Chief Seattle

Nethead

Quote from: rohan on April 16, 2007, 10:18:32 AM
Asswipe-Yup- your wrong.? For one thing I don't read that trash rag- it's love for Asain cars disgusts me and sorry- but the SRT-8 hit 0-60 in about 5.0 seconds while the GTO hits in about 4.6.? ? ?Tell me where on this planet that wiell ever mean the SRT-8 is faster to 60mph?? AND- since I onw and drive a 05 GTO every day - except in more than 4 inches of snow- I can tell you it handles noticably better thant the SRT-8.? hounddog and I drove one for about an hour and 1/2 beating it on most every curved road street and highway we knew of in the northern part of the Detroit area.? Even the salesman said we wouldn't like the handling when I told him what I drove into the dealership with.? We drove it so far we had to put $17.00 of gas in and I have a receipt if you want to see it- it has the license plate number on it that the cashier wrote in.? UNLESS you driven both cars- which I doubt you ever have- don't start spouting BS from some magazine writer.? I have 2 high speed pursuit certificates from the Ingham County Sheriff Dept. at Michigan International Speedway in 1994 and 1996 and I've been to the Michigan State Police Advanced Precision Driving and Nighttime Pursuit 2 times too.? This year I'm going to the MSP instructors course that hounddog went to- for all we know those guys have no training on how to handle a car at high speed so why would I ever take their word on anything when the michigan supreme court calls guys like me experts in the field of motorvehicle operations?? ?So stop blowing on about Motortrend-? it's a piece of crap magazine.? Next- DiamlerChrysler says that the SRT-8 weighs 2160.? I don't care what motortrend says it weighs- the MAKER of the car says it weighs 2160.? And asswipe- my car weighs 3725 pounds- according to the MAKER information in my glove box.? Since you don't own either car- if you don't take my word or the maker of either one I really could care less.? ?And when you start getting peoples names right I'll stop calling you asswipe.? If that gets me banned- so be it- I can't stand people like you who know nothing about the actual cars other than what you read in the least considered magazine on the racks.? Now I;'m gotta go see Erica.?

OK, rohan, you being the unbiased GTO owner that you obviously are, how do you explain how the SRT8 outhandled and outbraked the GTO?  Did I ever say that the SRT8 beat the GTO in either of the three acceleration categories (0-60, 0-100, and the standing-start quarter-mile)?  No, I didn't.  It was the slalom, the figure-eight, and the 60-0 braking test.

You leave the impression that you are a law-enforcement officer, although in this thread you haven't specifically stated as much.

Do you gather evidence with the same misattention to details? 

Or show the same attitude towards suspects at an arrest?

What terms would you use to describe the Rutgers women's basketball team?  I think you'd have a bright future in broadcasting at CBS and MSNBC.  And they've got an opening!  They're looking for someone who doesn't let facts get in the way of their opinions and have no silly inhibitions about using profanity in public or in a public forum, name-calling, et cetera.  There's big money in jerkwork--Stern, Imus, and Limbaugh are all wealthier than a dozen honest law-enforcement officers.  Give it some thought...

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on April 16, 2007, 10:18:32 AM
Asswipe-Yup- your wrong.? For one thing I don't read that trash rag- it's love for Asain cars disgusts me and sorry- but the SRT-8 hit 0-60 in about 5.0 seconds while the GTO hits in about 4.6.? ? ?Tell me where on this planet that wiell ever mean the SRT-8 is faster to 60mph?? AND- since I onw and drive a 05 GTO every day - except in more than 4 inches of snow- I can tell you it handles noticably better thant the SRT-8.? hounddog and I drove one for about an hour and 1/2 beating it on most every curved road street and highway we knew of in the northern part of the Detroit area.? Even the salesman said we wouldn't like the handling when I told him what I drove into the dealership with.? We drove it so far we had to put $17.00 of gas in and I have a receipt if you want to see it- it has the license plate number on it that the cashier wrote in.? UNLESS you driven both cars- which I doubt you ever have- don't start spouting BS from some magazine writer.? I have 2 high speed pursuit certificates from the Ingham County Sheriff Dept. at Michigan International Speedway in 1994 and 1996 and I've been to the Michigan State Police Advanced Precision Driving and Nighttime Pursuit 2 times too.? This year I'm going to the MSP instructors course that hounddog went to- for all we know those guys have no training on how to handle a car at high speed so why would I ever take their word on anything when the michigan supreme court calls guys like me experts in the field of motorvehicle operations?? ?So stop blowing on about Motortrend-? it's a piece of crap magazine.? Next- DiamlerChrysler says that the SRT-8 weighs 2160.? I don't care what motortrend says it weighs- the MAKER of the car says it weighs 2160.? And asswipe- my car weighs 3725 pounds- according to the MAKER information in my glove box.? Since you don't own either car- if you don't take my word or the maker of either one I really could care less.? ?And when you start getting peoples names right I'll stop calling you asswipe.? If that gets me banned- so be it- I can't stand people like you who know nothing about the actual cars other than what you read in the least considered magazine on the racks.? Now I;'m gotta go see Erica.?
Whoa!? rohan, nobody takes offence to him making up nicknames for everyone, so take it easy.? Why get so upset?? This is an internet forum and some people spout off information that others don't like.? Take it for what it's worth, because after reading your post my heart was beating fast and my face was flush because your anger was pouring through my monitor as plain as day and I was feeling it man.? Don't let him get to you.? I agree with him on a lot of things and then he will say something stupid like Mustangs should come in a station wagon bodystyle.? But I don't get mad and I'm the biggest Mustang troll on this site.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Nethead on April 14, 2007, 09:34:46 PM
LonghornTX:  The Nethead here knows where you're coming from, and I'm willing to listen carefully when you yourself get to test a GTO, an SRT8 Charger, and a GT500 at the same track or dragstrip on the same day.  Let me know when that is, and we'll drink 'til we stink afterwards :partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

Otherwise, I don't have a whole lot of choice but to listen carefully to the one group that HAS gotten to test a GTO, an SRT8 Charger, and a GT500 at the same track on the same day...

All the touchy GTOheads in this thread never liked them well enough to buy a new one for themselves, now did they?  Even GTOphile Raza passed on a GTO to buy a Boxster S (which shows that his judgment remains unblemished)...

When you start talking the talk that you've resurrected the Godfather of all the intermediate-sized musclecars, you better have a vehicle that can outperform all the others that say you're talkin' bullshit.  Else shut up and hope nobody noticed!

Motor Trend noticed, but apparently no one else did--where else have you seen these three vehicles tested by the same drivers on the same day at the same location???

And if Motor Trend was too hapless to get the GTO up to its maximum guts, they're too hapless to have gotten the SRT8 Charger up to its maximum guts and too hapless to have gotten the GT500 up to its maximum guts so the results would still be exactly the same--only each one's speeds would have been somewhat faster, each one's times would have been somewhat lower, yada yada yada.  Nothing would change.

As I've said before but the touchy refuse to acknowledge:  The GTO is almost certainly the fastest GM import and probably outperforms every domestic GM product except the Corvettes and maybe the Cadillac XLR.  Have you touchy GTOheads got a problem with that?  If so, please enlighten us what other GM import or domestic outperforms the GTO...
I am still struggling to see your point.  No one is argueing that the GT500 won that MotorTrend test (which, BTW, is from one of the lowest quality general automotive publications in print).  The point we are trying to make is that there is more to a cars worth than its performance in a comparison test (stress the a here).  Especially when comparing two cars that can be had for VASTLY different real world prices (the GT500 recieving ADMs of 20k or more while any remaining GTOs are likely to have HUGE discounts)!

The GTO has many things going for it, like a much nicer interior (this is from someone who likes the Mustangs interior), that might make someone like it more than the GT/GT500 that may not be captured in a single comparison test.  Go drive the car yourself before you start quoting a single comparison test ad nauseam as the coup de grace of Mustang vs. GTO, and then I will be able to listen carefully to what you have to say.

With all that said, I still like the Mustang more, but that is mostly down to personal preference, not some inherent advantage the Mustang has over the GTO.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 16, 2007, 02:21:46 PM
I am still struggling to see your point.? No one is argueing that the GT500 won that MotorTrend test (which, BTW, is from one of the lowest quality general automotive publications in print).? The point we are trying to make is that there is more to a cars worth than its performance in a comparison test (stress the a here).? Especially when comparing two cars that can be had for VASTLY different real world prices (the GT500 recieving ADMs of 20k or more while any remaining GTOs are likely to have HUGE discounts)!

The GTO has many things going for it, like a much nicer interior (this is from someone who likes the Mustangs interior), that might make someone like it more than the GT/GT500 that may not be captured in a single comparison test.? Go drive the car yourself before you start quoting a single comparison test ad nauseam as the coup de grace of Mustang vs. GTO, and then I will be able to listen carefully to what you have to say.

With all that said, I still like the Mustang more, but that is mostly down to personal preference, not some inherent advantage the Mustang has over the GTO.

If I cared about interiors in a muscle car I wouldn't like Mustangs. :lol:

Ron From Regina

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 16, 2007, 03:00:12 PM
If I cared about interiors in a muscle car I wouldn't like Mustangs. :lol:
The interior isn't that bad. I think the GTO does have a better interior, though.

Mustang won Wards "Interior of the Year" award in 05.
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=21014

SVT666

Quote from: Ron From Regina on April 16, 2007, 04:32:33 PM
The interior isn't that bad. I think the GTO does have a better interior, though.

The new one isn't that bad, but it's not great either.  But all the Mustangs I have owned are Fox and SN95s.  The interiors were shit, but like I said, if I cared about interiors I wouldn't love the Mustang.  If nice interiors matters to you and that would stop you from buying a Mustang, then you don't "get" the Mustang anyway. 

Nethead

Quote from: Ron From Regina on April 16, 2007, 04:32:33 PM

Ron from Regina:? Great point, RonDude!? So that we'll cover the bases properly, would you please post which car's interior won in 2004 and 2006 in case it might have been the GTO?? The touchy will howl if the GTO won? in '04 or '06 but nobody posted it...