Lexus LS460 voted world car of the year

Started by ifcar, April 05, 2007, 07:35:38 PM

Tave

Quote from: 850CSi on April 10, 2007, 04:39:39 PM
It's quick in a straight line, smooth, comfortable, and built very well.

Yeah, exactly like a Mercedes.

How many people who drive an S550 do you think are concerned with corner apexes?

MB and lexus both try to make their flagships luxo-cruisers, but for some vague reason, an S-classe is infinitly more satisfying for enthusiasts to drive?

I don't get it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: 850CSi on April 10, 2007, 04:39:39 PM
Some people buy them because they're foolish enough to believe that they're going to be substantially more reliable than a German car.

If you like cars that are boats on the road, there is nothing better than an LS. It's quick in a straight line, smooth, comfortable, and built very well. But there's a reason why most enthusiasts wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Experiences of friends and other acquaintances seem to indicate that purchase of a Lexus over its German rivals  based on projected reliability isn't as foolish as you may think, but to each their own.

Please show me this written rule where cars that don't handle like sports cars cannot be enjoyed by people who call themselves car enthusiasts? Or are you referring to fanboys?

850CSi

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2007, 04:50:12 PM
How many people who drive an S550 do you think are concerned with corner apexes?

MB and lexus both try to make their flagships luxo-cruisers, but for some vague reason, an S-classe is infinitly more satisfying for enthusiasts to drive?

I don't care how many people are concerned about corner apexes. Hell, some people are dumb enough to buy Porsches with automatic transmissions.

Have you driven an S-Class? It's not a luxo-cruiser. Unlike the LS it's incrediblly capable dynamically.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on April 10, 2007, 05:05:00 PM
I don't care how many people are concerned about corner apexes. Hell, some people are dumb enough to buy Porsches with automatic transmissions.

Have you driven an S-Class?

:rage:

I hate those people!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 04:55:50 PM
Experiences of friends and other acquaintances seem to indicate that purchase of a Lexus over its German rivals? based on projected reliability isn't as foolish as you may think, but to each their own.

Contrary to what publications like Consumer Reports want people to believe, there are very few new cars on the market that are considerably less reliable then their competition to the point where it should become a priority in deciding on a car.

QuotePlease show me this written rule where cars that don't handle like sports cars cannot be enjoyed by people who call themselves car enthusiasts?

Notice my use of the word 'most'. And yes I'll stand by that statement. There's a reason why you won't find a Camry or LS at enthusiast meets.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8466.msg413449#msg413449 date=1176246385
:rage:

I hate those people!

I hate people that buy automatic BMWs? because they're "cool" or "look nice" (though some people need autos). But it's not nearly as bad as an automatic Porsche.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on April 10, 2007, 05:07:57 PM
I hate people that buy automatic BMWs  because they're "cool" or "look nice" (though some people need autos). But it's not nearly as bad as an automatic Porsche.

Really, the automatic BMW thing only applies to the 3 series.  Not even that much, really, since they sell their cars to the general public, enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.  I don't expect a BMW to have a stickshift.  I expect a Porsche to have one. 

Watch this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exPauh5X_w

And you'll see why these cars should all be stickshift, and should never be bought simply because of their prestige.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: 850CSi on April 10, 2007, 05:07:21 PM
Contrary to what publications like Consumer Reports want people to believe, there are very few new cars on the market that are considerably less reliable then their competition to the point where it should become a priority in deciding on a car.

Notice my use of the word 'most'. And yes I'll stand by that statement. There's a reason why you won't find a Camry or LS at enthusiast meets.

Where did I mention Consumer Reports? I'm talking about cars that people I know have had experiences with. Yes, it's not a scientific study, but I don't think issues with German cars are limited to just my friends. What was the reason for why the CEO of M-B addressed quality issues a couple years ago? Was he just pulling facts and figures out of his arse?

Sorry, I didn't know you had to go to "enthusiast meets" to be an enthusiast. I thought a love for cars was all that was required but perhaps I was wrong.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 05:16:51 PM
Really, the automatic BMW thing only applies to the 3 series.  Not even that much, really, since they sell their cars to the general public, enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.  I don't expect a BMW to have a stickshift.  I expect a Porsche to have one. 

Watch this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exPauh5X_w

And you'll see why these cars should all be stickshift, and should never be bought simply because of their prestige.

Not everyone wants a stick shift in their sports car. My cousin wants a Cayman but cannot drive a manual shift car. Nothing wrong with having choices, just buy what you want and let those who have preferences different from yours by their's.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 05:26:09 PM
Not everyone wants a stick shift in their sports car. My cousin wants a Cayman but cannot drive a manual shift car. Nothing wrong with having choices, just buy what you want and let those who have preferences different from yours by their's.

Nope, I'm going to stay arrogant and opinionated.  If you want a Porsche with an automatic you don't want a Porsche.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Does anyone remember when the Murcielago came out and T-Mac got one for Christmas? He had to have a custom gearbox put in because he couldn't drive stick.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 05:27:53 PM
Nope, I'm going to stay arrogant and opinionated.  If you want a Porsche with an automatic you don't want a Porsche.

So if a person is really interested in a Porsche, loves the look and the way they drive but would prefer a paddle shift or automatic for their own personal reasons and has the money to buy one on the spot, they really don't want one? Gotcha.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 05:31:09 PM
So if a person is really interested in a Porsche, loves the look and the way they drive but would prefer a paddle shift or automatic for their own personal reasons and has the money to buy one on the spot, they really don't want one? Gotcha.

That wouldn't happen.  If they want an automatic Porsche, they actually want something more sedate, like a Jaguar or a BMW. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2007, 05:29:40 PM
Does anyone remember when the Murcielago came out and T-Mac got one for Christmas? He had to have a custom gearbox put in because he couldn't drive stick.

Who is T-Mac?

And the Murcielago was available with eGear from launch. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8466.msg413489#msg413489 date=1176248121
Who is T-Mac?

Tracy McGrady

QuoteAnd the Murcielago was available with eGear from launch.?

Nope. The Gallardo was, the Murcielago got it in 04 as an option for the roadster.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2007, 05:39:23 PM
Tracy McGrady

Nope. The Gallardo was, the Murcielago got it in 04 as an option for the roadster.

Interesting.  You seem to be right.

Who is Tracy McGrady?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8466.msg413499#msg413499 date=1176248720
Interesting.? You seem to be right.

Who is Tracy McGrady?

Professional B-ball player. He's Vince Carter's cousin. Started out with the Raptors with Vince, then went to Orlando where he started busting it up. After than he went to Houston.

He's an impressive athlete. 6-8 point guard (though I think it's taller than that, and he plays taller too because of his arms).

He's held the league scoring title twice.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2007, 05:52:21 PM
Professional B-ball player. He's Vince Carter's cousin. Started out with the Raptors with Vince, then went to Orlando where he started busting it up. After than he went to Houston.

He's an impressive athlete. 6-8 point guard (though I think it's taller than that, and he plays taller too because of his arms).

He's held the league scoring title twice.

Oh.  Well, you know how those sports stars don't buy cars for prestige, but only because they love driving.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 05:18:13 PM
Where did I mention Consumer Reports? I'm talking about cars that people I know have had experiences with. Yes, it's not a scientific study, but I don't think issues with German cars are limited to just my friends. What was the reason for why the CEO of M-B addressed quality issues a couple years ago? Was he just pulling facts and figures out of his arse?

Key words highlighted.

QuoteSorry, I didn't know you had to go to "enthusiast meets" to be an enthusiast. I thought a love for cars was all that was required but perhaps I was wrong.

I've never been to a meet. 'Car enthusiast' implies that one likes to drive. The LS isn't a car that one would really like to drive. To be driven in? Yeah, I'd love to sit in the back of an LS. But I sure as hell wouldn't buy one if I was driving it.

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 05:26:09 PM
Not everyone wants a stick shift in their sports car. My cousin wants a Cayman but cannot drive a manual shift car.

That's a different story. Most of the people who buy automatic Porsches do so not for physical reasons.