Spy shots of Solstice Turbo

Started by LostBoy, June 15, 2005, 09:21:16 PM

Raza

QuoteThis is definitely a better way to increase power than V8 stuffing.  Though 240 horse doesn't sound too impressive for the weight of the car.  How much does the Z4 weigh?  That's got around 255 nowadays right?  Actually, with 240bhp, this thing should be as fast as a 350Z!
Why? Do you really think that this engine will weigh less than a LS2? Not likely. And, doesn't the Z4 still have 225hp?
No, it's getting more power, like the 330i.

Who said I meant anything about weight?  I like turbos.
I knew it would be eventually, but I didn't know they had actually already done it. Also, I can understand that you might have a preference for a turbocharged engine (though it is surprising to here you say that after your rants about your Passat's lag) but that doesn't mean that stuffing a V8 into a small car isn't a perfectly fine way of getting big performance, at least when the weight penalities aren't very big.
The Passat's got terrible lag because the engine's relatively gutless when spun through an automatic trans and hauling a 3200 pound sedan.  In a 2500lb sports car, though, the engine would be less stressed and peppier (like the Elise--I know it's not turbo--the peaky four has good pull almost everywhere since it's not pulling much)

And I've got nothing against V8 stuffing.  My motto is "power any way you can get it."  "Power" is also interchangeable with "pussy".

With enough power, the lag won't be very noticeable.  Even the WRX's 227 isn't too laggy.  And damn, I want a WRX.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

QuoteThe solstice is a four.

I was simply comparing my personal experience to this situation.
My experience is that inline sixes are bloody huge. Turbo fours are generally not.
Yes, you're right, but you still have to admit that turbo fours are generally less reliable, more complex, with less tuning ability than a large diplacement V8. 240+ hp out of this is quite a bit from a little four cylinder. Sometimes high power 4s even get worse gas mileage.

I don't think that this turbo four would really have that much of a weight advantage over a V8.

The LS2 is a modern, lightweight engine and a V8 Solstice would not be like what you get from dropping an old iron block V8 into a small sports car.

Bottom line is that 400 hp in this would make it faster than the Corvette and GM can't let that happen so a V8 Solstice is out of the question. Still, the idea of a V8 Solstice is intriguing.

Raza

Any engine treated well will be reliable.  I know the LS2 is nice and light, but I wasn't referring to weight.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteAny engine treated well will be reliable.  I know the LS2 is nice and light, but I wasn't referring to weight.
I see, you think the turboed 2.4l's character will be a better match for a small roadster than the LS2's would be? Makes sense I guess. And, Ben (I think that is right), GM may not do it but the aftermarket will. Callaway has already announced plans to build a LS2 power Solstice (there was a thread about it a couple weeks ago).  

LostBoy

QuoteAny engine treated well will be reliable.  I know the LS2 is nice and light, but I wasn't referring to weight.
I definitely see your point, Raza.  But, unfortunately, as you know, turbos do expire.  And generally before the rest of the engine does.  Below 100k miles, it's probably not an issue, but after that, the NA engine, all maintenance being equal, has the advantage in longevity.

So I guess it's back to personal use and preference.  How long will you keep your car?  What do you like under the hood?...etc...I just glad that we now have a choice!  (With Mallet doing the LS2 swap, that is.) :praise:

TBR

QuoteAny engine treated well will be reliable.  I know the LS2 is nice and light, but I wasn't referring to weight.
I definitely see your point, Raza.  But, unfortunately, as you know, turbos do expire.  And generally before the rest of the engine does.  Below 100k miles, it's probably not an issue, but after that, the NA engine, all maintenance being equal, has the advantage in longevity.

So I guess it's back to personal use and preference.  How long will you keep your car?  What do you like under the hood?...etc...I just glad that we now have a choice!  (With Mallet doing the LS2 swap, that is.) :praise:
So it is Mallet, I knew Callaway didn't sound right.

Raza

True--Turbos take even more care than a natural engine does.  

But, I imagine this turbo (which could wrench a check from my personal account) would be less expensive than the Mallet version--you know how tuners love to overcharge.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i