Mid-size Lux Sedans

Started by chevyguy06, April 07, 2007, 09:43:53 PM

If money was no option, which would you take?

Acura TL/Type-S
2 (3.4%)
Audi A4/S4
8 (13.6%)
BMW 3-series
25 (42.4%)
Caddy CTS/CTS-V
7 (11.9%)
Infiniti G35
9 (15.3%)
Jaguar X-type
0 (0%)
Lexus IS
1 (1.7%)
Lincoln MKZ
0 (0%)
Mercedes C-class
4 (6.8%)
Saab 9-3
1 (1.7%)
Volvo S40/S60/R
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

TBR

It was a test of AWD sports sedans so the IS350 was out as well as the IS250 6MT.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MidnightDave on April 18, 2007, 08:48:26 PM

They shouldn't have put a whimpering 250 in that pack of wolves, of course they beat it around like a pup--where's the 350, and as somebody else said, where's the third pedal in a 350! Paddle shifters are a novelty that wear off quick--and btw, I know, I own the car. ;-)

The be fair, the A4 only had a 200 HP engine as well, and the 325xi only had 215 (only ~10 more than the Lexus if I recall).

That being said I've driven an IS250 AWD. Its not as involved as a BMW or Infiniti, but I thought it was a pretty fun car in any event.

ArchBishop

Quote from: the Teuton on April 16, 2007, 07:42:35 PM
I have a friend with a 1998 A8 4.2 Quattro that had to have a transmission replacement at 110k.? It does happen.

Wait. I Though Audis didn't have problems, and CR was trash?

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2007, 07:47:32 PM
What you did, taking a perfectly good family car and converting into some sort of race car is waste of money, you're right.  But it is wrong to apply that experience to any modification done to any car.

So says you. But I don't have to ask you, or anyone, how to spend my money on something I enjoy as a hobby.

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 16, 2007, 08:10:32 PM
Archbishop-

I agree with you about some of your comments on the 1.8T engine.  However, most, if not all, have all been remedied with the new 2.0T.  I suggest you go drive one, your opinion might just change.

Also, don't let the guys here bug you too much about modding your Altima.  I can understand the appeal in making an otherwise non-performance oriented car into something different.  Hopefully you left off the big wings and fartcan mufflers.

Its Funny you agree with me because supposedly I have never driven the car to make that judgement :rolleyes: But its true, I did admit to not drving the new one, but Car And Driver's review on it Vs the Previous Generation G35 (which it lost to BTW) made it seem like it was more of the same.

And actually, from the cat, all the way back, my car is running  a stock exhaust system. (and no wing) Though, I am considering a 3.0 Catback exhaust, though the noise might make it annoying to DD.

Quote from: 850CSi on April 16, 2007, 08:18:43 PM
Why would you pour that much cash into an Altima?

Because I wanted to. Its That simple.

Quote from: Raghavan on April 16, 2007, 08:30:18 PM
But changing the transmission, full suspension, putting swaybars, and changing basically everything in the engine besides the block itself?
That doesn't sound like reasonable mods man.

The only engine internals I changed were camshafts. And I gained approx 25hp or more, better grip, better blance, and more fun. I'm not Complaining.

Quote from: ChrisV on April 17, 2007, 07:23:02 AM

You are spouting ignorant opinions as though they are facts. I don't give two shits if this is offensive to you, as your ignorance and idiocy is offensive to not only myself, bit to other adults on this forum (like saxonyron as an example). You keep proving you are an immature twit, who does NOT deserve to be listened to. yeah, it's starting to not only sound like C&D, but like every other automotive board populated by opinionated teenagers.

Please Chris, how many cars have you modded (not restored) that were made in the past 18 years have you got back the Value of the mods+ car?

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 17, 2007, 10:59:58 AM
Wow, a lot of dissing of the A4.

As a former owner of a B6 A4 1.8T Quattro 6MT, I think its a great car. Overall, I would say that my A4 was actually a better car than my GTI, even considering the much better engine of the GTI.

In regards to the B6 vs B7, from personal experience I don't think the difference is that big of a deal. Sure the engine is a nice upgrade, but the overall driving experience is pretty much the same (and yes, I had the sport package). Considering that for ~600 bucks you could chip a 1.8T to walk all over a stock 2.0T I don't think the difference there is all that worth getting excited over either (and yes, I realize you can also chip a 2.0T...but if you were "upgrading" to a new B7 from a B6 it would never be worth it based on the engine alone, its far simpler to just upgrade the engine itself).

My two favorite cars in this class are the 3er and A4, though for slightly different reasons. I would also rate the Lexus IS above the G35 as far as sport sedans that I like (I just wish you would get the 3.5L Lexus with a stick!).

I don't know the Generation codes, nor Chassis numbers of Audi cars, but I will post a picture of it so you can tell me what his car is.

ArchBishop

And on the subject of modding cars, my friends 14.0 @ 100mph RSX-S

Ask him why, and he'll tell you the same thing. And for the record, it cost him less to make that car run a near 13 second 1/4, than it would to trade in, and Buy up to a 350Z or Mustang.

TBR

The A4 has gone through a complete redesign and a major refresh since then smart one. This includes a new suspension and 50 more horsepower from a new engine.

850CSi

Quote from: TBR on April 19, 2007, 11:26:32 PM
The A4 has gone through a complete redesign and a major refresh since then smart one. This includes a new suspension and 50 more horsepower from a new engine.

30HP if you're talking about the 1.8T.

TBR

I thought it made 150hp in the original A4?

goldenlover1101

I just spent 30 minutes reading through some pretty hostile posts. I respect everyone's opinions, and while I agree that his opinion on Audis are not founded in reality, he is entitled to them and just ignore him if you disagree. i think the A4 is a wonderful car and would have to seriously look at one if shopping in the class. However, a dispute should not arise from disproving that. Oh, as I think it was stupid to mod the Altima, I am not going to say that he was wrong because reasons may exist why. I like the RSX-S though, thats a nice car which makes sense to mod. I am not taking sides, simply stationg opinion.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

850CSi

Quote from: TBR on April 19, 2007, 11:46:58 PM
I thought it made 150hp in the original A4?

I think we're both right. Mine made 150, but I think the post-facelift models had 170.

Galaxy

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 19, 2007, 10:53:29 PM

That is a B5. The current A4 is the B7, with the B8 debuting in the fall.

saxonyron

Quote from: 850CSi on April 20, 2007, 12:12:22 AM
I think we're both right. Mine made 150, but I think the post-facelift models had 170.

The first iteration of the 1.8T made 150 i n1998, but was upgraded in 99 or 2000 to 170.  In 2005.5, the 2.0T was introduced with 200 HP and fuel stratified injection (FSI).

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

S204STi

JYODER240

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 19, 2007, 10:51:09 PM
Wait. I Though Audis didn't have problems, and CR was trash?

My 03 Accord also lost a tranny and according to CR they are very relieable. In fact the 2 03 Accords my family owned gave us more trouble than my Nissan, my parents Cadillac's, and my sisters C-class.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on April 20, 2007, 12:04:54 AM
I just spent 30 minutes reading through some pretty hostile posts. I respect everyone's opinions, and while I agree that his opinion on Audis are not founded in reality, he is entitled to them and just ignore him if you disagree. i think the A4 is a wonderful car and would have to seriously look at one if shopping in the class. However, a dispute should not arise from disproving that. Oh, as I think it was stupid to mod the Altima, I am not going to say that he was wrong because reasons may exist why. I like the RSX-S though, thats a nice car which makes sense to mod. I am not taking sides, simply stationg opinion.

14 seconds is really fast for a front driver, I'm assuming he's putting down way too much power and has to run drag slicks.  It's impressive, but if I were modding an RSX-S, I would boost power a little (maybe around 15-25bhp or so) and then work on handling from there.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8495.msg423448#msg423448 date=1177080242
14 seconds is really fast for a front driver, I'm assuming he's putting down way too much power and has to run drag slicks.? It's impressive, but if I were modding an RSX-S, I would boost power a little (maybe around 15-25bhp or so) and then work on handling from there.
14 flat on street tires. 2.3 Second 60ft. A sketchy rule says for ever tenth of a second that you take off your 60ft, its good for .2 off your 1/4mile time. Dropping it down to a 2.0 on slicks would most likely be good for mid 13's.

Raza

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 20, 2007, 05:13:50 PM
14 flat on street tires. 2.3 Second 60ft. A sketchy rule says for ever tenth of a second that you take off your 60ft, its good for .2 off your 1/4mile time. Dropping it down to a 2.0 on slicks would most likely be good for mid 13's.

That's really impressive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ArchBishop

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8495.msg423448#msg423448 date=1177080242
14 seconds is really fast for a front driver, I'm assuming he's putting down way too much power and has to run drag slicks.? It's impressive, but if I were modding an RSX-S, I would boost power a little (maybe around 15-25bhp or so) and then work on handling from there.
I agree completely, algthough I respect what he did with his car.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

LonghornTX

Arch-

How about posting some pics of this beast of an Altima (in the correct forum of course)?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Minpin

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 22, 2007, 04:54:00 PM
Arch-

How about posting some pics of this beast of an Altima (in the correct forum of course)?

www.ebay.com is what you meant right?  :lol: :P
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza on April 20, 2007, 08:44:02 AM
14 seconds is really fast for a front driver, I'm assuming he's putting down way too much power and has to run drag slicks. It's impressive, but if I were modding an RSX-S, I would boost power a little (maybe around 15-25bhp or so) and then work on handling from there.
C/D's RSX had 276 hp, and ~230 at the wheels, so they say, and that ran a 13.5 second quarter mile.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on April 22, 2007, 05:17:32 PM
C/D's RSX had 276 hp, and ~230 at the wheels, so they say, and that ran a 13.5 second quarter mile.

276bhp is way too much for a FWD car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Yes, I suppose, but apparently the car was very trackable and easy to drive.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on April 22, 2007, 05:21:23 PM
Yes, I suppose, but apparently the car was very trackable and easy to drive.

It was a car they built.  Do you think anyone walks around saying their kid is the worst player on his little league team?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza on April 22, 2007, 05:23:01 PM
It was a car they built. Do you think anyone walks around saying their kid is the worst player on his little league team?
Well, maybe they were comparing it to the other cars, in which case C/D's had the second lowest HP.
Or it could be the fact that they sunk $80 grand into the RSX in the end, and major suspension upgrades would've taken a good chunk of that money.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)