Tiburon?

Started by Rupert, April 08, 2007, 04:47:41 PM

Onslaught

I know a guy with a SHO and the repair bills are murder.

TBR

Quote from: Onslaught on April 08, 2007, 05:37:32 PM
That's not alway true.

MX-5, 240SX, Prelude, MR2  and others have some soul and are reliable. And you can get them for cheap.

Hahahahahahahahah. A cheap Prelude? My 1995 with 300k+ is worth almost $4 grand.

Neon sounds like a good car for you. Other than the head gasket issue (count on it going every 60k, unless it is properly fixed with new studs or whatever they are called) they are reliable, are dirt cheap, and plenty fun to drive. For $3k you could get one of the later 1st gen models with the DOHC engine.

Raghavan

An Accord like SportyAccordy? He's getting one for $3k with 220hp...

Raza

I thought SHOs were all manuals except for the V8 ones?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

No, I believe the second gen got an automatic as well as a 3.2l V6 instead of the 3.0 that came with the manual.

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on April 08, 2007, 09:16:09 PM
Hahahahahahahahah. A cheap Prelude? My 1995 with 300k+ is worth almost $4 grand.

Neon sounds like a good car for you. Other than the head gasket issue (count on it going every 60k, unless it is properly fixed with new studs or whatever they are called) they are reliable, are dirt cheap, and plenty fun to drive. For $3k you could get one of the later 1st gen models with the DOHC engine.

No Neons. I'd rather have an MX6.

The first gen SHO had the Yamaha V6 and either a five-speed or an automatic. The auto was junk. The second gen had a V8 and, I think, similar transmission choices. The second gen isn't really any good.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Raghavan on April 08, 2007, 09:20:19 PM
An Accord like SportyAccordy? He's getting one for $3k with 220hp...

Nah... I don't want something modified. Or something I'll really want to modify.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raghavan

Older RWD Volvos? I think they made them past '93.
Those things last forever.

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 09:41:41 PM
No Neons. I'd rather have an MX6.

The first gen SHO had the Yamaha V6 and either a five-speed or an automatic. The auto was junk. The second gen had a V8 and, I think, similar transmission choices. The second gen isn't really any good.

There were 3-gens. The first two had the V6 and the third the V8. I suppose you could say that the second gen was just a refresh of the first, but pretty much all of the sheetmetal is different.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 05:12:08 PM
I'm not totally sure yet. I've been lusting after some old BMWs (535's are within range), and some old Mercedes', but those are likely expensive to maintain (and will need maintaining). More practically, Subarus and Volvos (wagons, of course). I like Sidekicks/Trackers, too. And, of course, Troopers. Externally imposed criteria (being a student is shitty when you have to depend on someone else to pay for your car . :banghead: On the other hand, someone else is paying for my car ;) ) are that it be newer than 1993 or so, and not be a piece of crap. I can probably get around the age thing.

Any other ideas?

Based on your track record I don't think you should get a car.  Ever :lol:

Btw, SHO's after '96 had V8 and all were auto.  <------95% sure

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Rupert

The list is basically:

-older BMW or Mercedes-- effectively impossible, because it would have to have low miles, been well maintained (with documentation), be in perfect condition, and still be $3k or under.
-Trooper-- I'm looking into gen 2 now that there's more money. It still needs to have a manual, though, and, of course, low miles, etc.
-Sidekick/Tracker-- I don't know a lot about these, but I've heard they're really good and capable. Hardtop four-doors only.
-Volvos, Subarus-- Wagons and manuals, of course.
-SHO, MX6-- good cars and fun.
-the odd cheap good fun car-- There's a Rex 7 in range, and it sounds like it's a good car with 76k miles, but it's an '87. That'll never get past the money tree.
-Pick-ups-- Vaguely considering small 4-cyl 2WD trucks, but also full-sizers with 6-cylinders, manuals and 4wd. I hear the sixers can get upwards (barely) of 20 mpg on the highway. I had a chance on a mid-80s Ford F150 that fit that description back in September, but I passed. Kinda regret that now... (I don't need all the space of a full-size truck, but if the gas mileage is good enough, well, why not? I'm sure I can find something that goes in the back).
-mainstream sedans-- Not too enthused about the idea of an Accord or Camry, but those are good reliable cars to fall back on if I can't find something I actually like.

So, yeah, not really looking for a Civic.

Rupert

Quote from: Raghavan on April 08, 2007, 09:43:20 PM
Older RWD Volvos? I think they made them past '93.
Those things last forever.

Well, yeah. See above. ;)

I had a Volvo, remember? It was well on its way to lasting forever, I suppose you could say. :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on April 08, 2007, 09:44:55 PM
There were 3-gens. The first two had the V6 and the third the V8. I suppose you could say that the second gen was just a refresh of the first, but pretty much all of the sheetmetal is different.

I lump the first two together, since both have a similar look. Though the first gen looks less squinty.

Rupert

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 08, 2007, 09:49:36 PM
Based on your track record I don't think you should get a car.  Ever :lol:

Btw, SHO's after '96 had V8 and all were auto.  <------95% sure

Hey, my first three cars were great.

Rupert

Quote from: Raghavan on April 08, 2007, 09:59:17 PM
http://eugene.craigslist.org/car/286361813.html
:lol:

I'm in Bellingham. Otherwise I'd tell the money to bugger off and buy it myself! Hehehe...

TBR

But, speaking of a SHO, I looked at one (just looked, didn't drive it) last fall, but then I talked to a Ford service manager...

Rupert

That second one is in Springtucky.  We don't go to Springtucky. ;)

Raghavan

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on April 08, 2007, 10:01:05 PM
But, speaking of a SHO, I looked at one (just looked, didn't drive it) last fall, but then I talked to a Ford service manager...

AutobahnSHO says they are expensive, but if you stay on top of things, they don't break down, so it sort of evens out. Somewhat like a really really well-kept Bimmer, I suppose.

Rupert

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 09:56:00 PM
The list is basically:

-older BMW or Mercedes-- effectively impossible, because it would have to have low miles, been well maintained (with documentation), be in perfect condition, and still be $3k or under.
Not going to happen[quote
-Trooper-- I'm looking into gen 2 now that there's more money. It still needs to have a manual, though, and, of course, low miles, etc.
Not a bad idea, but you will have a hard time find one for that money with a manual (or with a manual period!) and low miles.
-Sidekick/Tracker-- I don't know a lot about these, but I've heard they're really good and capable. Hardtop four-doors only.
If you want a SUV this seems like the best option.
-Volvos, Subarus-- Wagons and manuals, of course.
Good luck finding a Volvo wagon with a 5-spd.
-SHO, MX6-- good cars and fun.
I'd avoid a SHO for reliabilty concerns, the MX6/Probe is certainly a good option though, one that I very seriously considered (if I didn't find the Prelude when I did I probably would be driving a Probe).
-the odd cheap good fun car-- There's a Rex 7 in range, and it sounds like it's a good car with 76k miles, but it's an '87. That'll never get past the money tree.
You're going to have a hard time finding a newer sports car in your budget.
-Pick-ups-- Vaguely considering small 4-cyl 2WD trucks, but also full-sizers with 6-cylinders, manuals and 4wd. I hear the sixers can get upwards (barely) of 20 mpg on the highway. I had a chance on a mid-80s Ford F150 that fit that description back in September, but I passed. Kinda regret that now... (I don't need all the space of a full-size truck, but if the gas mileage is good enough, well, why not? I'm sure I can find something that goes in the back).
One of my friends used to have the exact truck you described (early '90s F-150 I6 4x4 with the 4MT), and it got crappy gas mileage and cost more than $3k. If you want a truck I would look for a compact V6.
-Japanese sedans-- Not too enthused about the idea of an Accord or Camry, but those are good reliable cars to fall back on if I can't find something I actually like.
Can't say I blame you there, but what about a Maxima?

So, yeah, not really looking for a Civic.

Rupert

Yeah, I do like those 122 series'.

Raghavan

'88 Ranger, 95k miles, tool box:
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/car/293581940.html
$1500! :mask:
Don't know if it really gets 35mpg though.